Hacking [PoC] Using a Magnet and a DS flashcart to unbrick a 3DS

gamerboy1995

Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Never thought I would say this, but I hope my 3DS is (just) bricked, lol. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that it's not because, whenever I push the power button, the power light comes on for a fraction of a second and then turns off, even with a brand new and fully charged battery.
Still, it's worth keeping an eye on this.

D

Deleted User

If you mean the Nintendo bounty thing there's no point. This is how Nintendo fixes consoles and it's in the bootrom so they can't do a thing about it (unless they make another hardware revision). If you mean something else then I don't really know what that is.
GBATemp bounty...

with the new update (and Patreon support), GBAtemp is doing a bounty. This counts for all types of content. Such as tutorials, homebrew, CFW, etc.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Never thought I would say this, but I hope my 3DS is (just) bricked, lol. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that it's not because, whenever I push the power button, the power light comes on for a fraction of a second and then turns off, even with a brand new and fully charged battery.
Describe this to me. Like, does it come in then fade out, or does it turn on and harshly turn off?

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States

Sounds like you need to replace the boot.firm file on your 3DS's SD card. The only real brick on a sighax'ed 3DS is a bootrom error blue screen. If it does anything other then blue screen then it's not really a brick. ;)

Also if you updated boot9strap to 1.1 or 1.2, you will need to update Luma assuming that's what your SD's boot.firm is. ;)

Update to v8.0 or newer:

https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/releases

Boot9strap 1.2 will not boot the outdated Luma builds. It will pretty much do what you described...Auto power-off. Which it does when it can't find a suitable payload on SD or CTR_NAND.

Last edited by Apache Thunder,
Reactions: peteruk

gamerboy1995

Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Describe this to me. Like, does it come in then fade out, or does it turn on and harshly turn off?
...okay it was fading out, but I just tried it again and suddenly the Gateway logo showed up. Not exactly sure what's going on, but I won't complain about progress!
Now if only I remembered where I put my Gateway card...

EDIT: Found the Gateway card and got it to load to EmuNand. Better make backups of all my save files while I can just in case, then try updating stuff like Luma. I haven't touched this system since maybe October, so I'm sure there's lots of updates to install.

Last edited by gamerboy1995,

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
...okay it was fading out, but I just tried it again and suddenly the Gateway logo showed up. Not exactly sure what's going on, but I won't complain about progress!
Now if only I remembered where I put my Gateway card...

Gateway? lol well there's your problem. Gateway is not officially supported by boot9strap. Can't gurantee that will work reliably for you until Gateway decides to put out something official that is designed to work from this properly. :P

gamerboy1995

Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Gateway? lol well there's your problem. Gateway is not officially supported by boot9strap. Can't gurantee that will work reliably for you until Gateway decides to put out something official that is designed to work from this properly. :P
I'm not exactly sure what Boot9Strap is, I'm pretty sure the system is using A9LH? Haven't looked at the 3ds itself or the scence since like last october, because that's when it suddenly stopped working, so I'm pretty out of date on this stuff.

gamerboy1995

Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh I assumed you were using boot9strap? Most folks are now a days. :P
Well I probably will be once I figure what exactly it is and how to install it. It didn't exist 8 months ago, though.
If I'm already using A9LH, is Boot9Strap something that gets installed instead of A9LH? In addition to it?

Last edited by gamerboy1995,

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Billy Acuña

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
We can safely say that no flashcard is confirmed as of today.
As I been saying since forever but people like to make up stuff for reasons unknown. I rather wait for @Normmatt to announce it. Also, dev cards? (link above) For flashcards? LOL! Isn't the whole point with the cards to develop stuff for them without signed software?

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
We can safely say Acekard 2i is confirmed since decrypt9wip is capable of flashing it and nrtcardhax already used it. We're not sure about DSTWO but it might be possible as well.
no we can't

I was wrong, @Normmatt has confirmed anything
I love the contrast here. One guy uses logic and the other just regurgitates what other sheep are saying without thinking.

D

Deleted User

I love the contrast here. One guy uses logic and the other just regurgitates what other sheep are saying without thinking.
oh don't get me wrong, I know that the AK2i has the highest chance of being confirmed, but factually, we don't have any confirmation. Just logic which points to the truth.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So negative