Gaming Please advice a decent game... Definitely not Mario!

Status
Not open for further replies.

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
First post: 3. Played Virtue Last Reward. Good dialogues, but TOO SLOW. Do not have 20 hours to play a game, please.

I actually completed it (18 hours or so), but that extra-long-for-nothing-and-almost-same-and-unskippable-dialogues-but-required-to-see-true-ending drived me mad. Also some puzzles are absolutely out-of-mind, I doubt (for some of them) that exist more than 10 persons who could figure them on their own without easy mode. Also that "3d models and environment" - why make a good game so ugly-looking? 999 was 200% better in both visual and story. And (seems only my problem?) Uchikoshi always tell same story. If it is game from him, it would be always related to time paradoxes and quantum multi-universe theory. Going on from his first Never7, Ever17 etc etc. 999 looked new and fresh, but in the end - again the time-related thing, now with that "morphogenetic fields"...

Anyway, if you have a good VN in english for 3ds you can advice it too.

Yeah the game has its problems... There's realy A LOT of unecessary dialogue. I agree that there are a few absurd puzzles, like the dart ones and that other one with the rations.
But the rest is pretty much only logical thinking. Also yeah, for a few puzzles the hints weren't very clear and I had to peek into easy mode to get them right. I would probably have understood them anyway but it would take much longer... But the variety of puzzles is great. There's a ton more content than in 999.

And my biggest issue with 999 is the final puzzle. That was one of the greatest disappointments EVER for me.
I was expecting something mind-boggling... and they come up with THAT?
Anything would be better than that, even if it was a crossword puzzle.

I haven't played his previous games because they look like romantic visual novels and I'm not really into those.

Scorp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
Yeah the game has its problems... There's realy A LOT of unecessary dialogue. I agree that there are a few absurd puzzles, like the dart ones and that other one with the rations.
But the rest is pretty much only logical thinking. Also yeah, for a few puzzles the hints weren't very clear and I had to peek into easy mode to get them right. I would probably have understood them anyway but it would take much longer... But the variety of puzzles is great. There's a ton more content than in 999.

And my biggest issue with 999 is the final puzzle. That was one of the greatest disappointments EVER for me.
I was expecting something mind-boggling... and they come up with THAT?
Anything would be better than that, even if it was a crossword puzzle.

I haven't played his previous games because they look like romantic visual novels and I'm not really into those.

Yes, last "puzzle" of that crossword was really stupid. But in average it was played much more smoothly for me. Yes, there is more content in VLR, but for me lot of it was done just to extend the game overall, really. Some things are just to be there for wow factor - like that body details in Luna ending or Sigma ending - no real need, it was just to have some feeble background. Lot of things could be just removed without any affect on the story, actually even making it more fast-paced and would be even better. This why 999 looks much more solid - as it have just 1 or 2 dialogues, which were not looked natually (like Seven speaking suddenly about some chemistry and chemical reactions lol), but in VLR was much more of that - well, like all these ppl were scientists and mathematicians and physicians :) Of course he have to somehow explain to player what is going on, and he even put there a remark, like "10 things which video game creator should not do" and he did them all :) Anyway, overall VLR is good, but I would rather have 5 endings then 15 or how much it have, and time to be much less..

Actually Ever17 is not romantic novel, it just disguise in it :) Try it some day, it is quite good game overall.

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Maybe Video Games just aren't your thing, bro. By your criteria, seems to me like your kind of game is "choose your own adventure" books. XD

Though, if I may ask... why are you so against Nintendo IP? Have you played any? More specifically, have you played more than one game in these IPs that weren't copypaste sequels?

Reactions: CraddaPoosta

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The handheld is not for you. My message was trying to make it obvious.
You should consider that perhaps you have already played everything there is you wanted to play, you have reached nirvana and you can finally die happy and leave everyone else to find peace.

Reactions: piratesephiroth

Scorp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
Maybe Video Games just aren't your thing, bro. By your criteria, seems to me like your kind of game is "choose your own adventure" books.
Well, if I have Xbox360 and I have game to play there for story and gameplay (can think of a Mass Effect, Batman, Portal 2 and Dishonored), I have PS2 and played there Valkyrie Profile 2, I have PSP and played Crisis Core, Jeanne d'Arc, VP: Lenneth, Corpse Party and others, and also told before that i have DS and I played some RPG there too - so I would say that Video Games are definitely my thing!

Though, if I may ask... why are you so against Nintendo IP? Have you played any? More specifically, have you played more than one game in these IPs that weren't copypaste sequels?

What is Nintendo IP? If it is Mario, Luigi and others, then I just do not like it from the start on NES. Racing I just hate, logic - brain is already overloaded, and all others are just plain arcade jump'n'run, no?

Just a question, you want games under the 20 hour mark. Why?

Well, not strictly under 20 hours, but it is mostly because I do not want to go into endless grinding of same place for 20 times. And every decent story could be told in 20 hours, for sure, if there is no stupid buffing and level-upping for 70% of the game.

You want to help, or you want to show how smart you are? If last, then just reread first post.

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, not strictly under 20 hours, but it is mostly because I do not want to go into endless grinding of same place for 20 times. And every decent story could be told in 20 hours, for sure, if there is no stupid buffing and level-upping for 70% of the game.

You want to help, or you want to show how smart you are? If last, then just reread first post.
Hmm give me some time to check what I used to have on my 3ds.
Tales of the abyss is one I can think of right away though. Never felt any need to grind and the game play of the combat was just so fun in my opinion, found myself grinding unconsciously just because I enjoyed the combat.

Scorp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
Hmm give me some time to check what I used to have on my 3ds.
Tales of the abyss is one I can think of right away though. Never felt any need to grind and the game play of the combat was just so fun in my opinion, found myself grinding unconsciously just because I enjoyed the combat.

Okay, Tales of the abyss, will check. Anything else?

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Okay, Tales of the abyss, will check. Anything else?
I honestly think you won't find the type of games you are looking for in the 3DS. Tales of the abyss of an exception, as it is a PS2 port. Be advised that the story is nothing brilliant, but it has nice gameplay.
The DS was a way better handheld in this aspect, with a wide variety of games and some nice RPGs, don't expect the same from the 3DS.
If you buyed it without liking Nintendo IPs, SMT, Etrian Odysseys and so on, you didn't do your research homework correctly and you made a bad purchase.

Scorp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
Have you tried Project X Zone?

No really impressive as an RPG but the combat animations are pretty nice.
Someone already mentioned it here, but from what I see it is just a bunch of cameos from different VG characters. I doubt they could do a good story out of this.

If you liked Hotel Dusk buy its sequel Secret Window (yeah I know DS)

Already played. And Hotel Dusk is better.

I honestly think you won't find the type of games you are looking for in the 3DS. Tales of the abyss of an exception, as it is a PS2 port. Be advised that the story is nothing brilliant, but it has nice gameplay.
The DS was a way better handheld in this aspect, with a wide variety of games and some nice RPGs, don't expect the same from the 3DS.

If you buyed it without liking Nintendo IPs, SMT, Etrian Odysseys and so on, you didn't do your research homework correctly and you made a bad purchase.
As far as I can see, there is still other games, which people here mentioned. So it is not really so. Will see, if there is more games like that. Yes, it seems I did a mistake thinking that 3ds would be similar to DS variety, but still should be some more games than 4 mentioned here.

LittleFlame

Local Bruh.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I really like Rune Factory and Fire Emblem Awakening
Shovel knight is decent

Rune Factory 4, it has hella stuff to do but no story at all. Its just a guy/gurl fall from a ship and he/she became an amnesiac. Run a farm,kill monsters, tame monsters, find urself a waifu and etc.

hehe this is funny considering you don't own the game xD

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kid Icarus is incredibly fun, for a semi-on-rails shooter. Great game for grind-happy gamers.

Ultimate NES ReMix is pretty sweet, too.

Bravely Default is one of the best JRPGs I've ever played.

Harvest Moon games are deceptively addictive.

Shovel Knight is great if you're into MetroidVania-style games.

Kingdom Hearts 3D - Drop Dream Distance is the best handheld Kingdom Hearts game to date.

There are a few you haven't tried yet.

Scorp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
Kid Icarus is incredibly fun, for a semi-on-rails shooter. Great game for grind-happy gamers.

Ultimate NES ReMix is pretty sweet, too.

Bravely Default is one of the best JRPGs I've ever played.

Harvest Moon games are deceptively addictive.

Shovel Knight is great if you're into MetroidVania-style games.

Kingdom Hearts 3D - Drop Dream Distance is the best handheld Kingdom Hearts game to date.

There are a few you haven't tried yet.

I played some demo on PC for Shovel Knight and did not really got into it. I did not got into Metroid too, btw.

Harvest Moon I played on PSP, absolutely not the game with a good story. Kingdom Hearts never liked too, played 3 installations (1, 2 on PS2 and some other on PSP). All others seems already adviced by other ppl.

Anyway, will try to do some checks asap :)

If you want a good story + good (tactical) JRPG, then Fire Emblem Awakening is the way to go.
I tried it, not really good story so far (got into 4 chapter if I am not mistaken). Pretty standard jRPG cliche story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Hey hey!