Hardware Planning to build a machine centered around i9-9900k...

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, another thing you'll need to decide is if you want to buy the GPU "now" or wait a few months; all the "custom" cards that are coming out now are just improved coolers (and realistically better binning), there won't be any custom PCB designs coming out until a bit later

Reactions: Classicgamer

Classicgamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have a few changes: what do you think?

Mobo: awaiting z390 info, otherwise https://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-MAXIMUS-IX-FORMULA/

Ram: https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16820236161

Water cooler: https://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00003122

Psu: https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16817151197

M.2: https://www.samsung.com/us/computin...09&gclid=COGsx_Clvt0CFZERgQodDWgNlw&gclsrc=ds

Regarding your case: I like it but it will not work with the usb side loading. I’ve been looking for a front connection panel and a good radiator location case and aren’t sure what to get yet.

Thoughts?

Edit: scratch this cooler - I’m going to keep searching. I don’t like what I’m reading about its software.

Last edited by Classicgamer,

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, in theory, what you picked would be about 10% faster in theory, but programs are written assuming slow RAM, so there's be no real world noticeable difference.

Classicgamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have a few changes: what do you think?

Mobo: awaiting z390 info, otherwise https://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-MAXIMUS-IX-FORMULA/
Looks good, like the plan

As mentioned earlier, this is basically spending money for the sake of spending money. Not only will you see no significant benefit in the real world, but you've also closed your opportunity to upgrade to 64GB; if you wanted to do that, you'd have to buy a completely new set, rather than just being able to buy another set of 2 matched DIMMs off of eBay 5 years down the line

Edit: scratch this cooler - I’m going to keep searching. I don’t like what I’m reading about its software.
Looks good to me. Keep in mind that the only thing the software controls is the lighting of the fans (and maybe the pump speed? That'd be more up to the motherboard, though). So if you wanted to just use the controller box to set it once, without syncing with the rest of the lighting necessarily, that'd be fine. Otherwise, if you're certain you'll be using an Asus motherboard, get a cooler with fans that say they support "Aura Sync"

I guess I'm a little confused as to why you're not going with the PSU the parametric filter recommended in my revision; again, there's spending to get a better value, and then there's just plain wasteful spending

Same applies here; the 970 line just isn't a big enough step up from the 960 line to justify the enormous price leap

Regarding your case: I like it but it will not work with the usb side loading. I’ve been looking for a front connection panel and a good radiator location case and aren’t sure what to get yet.
I gotta say, I'm a bit amused by the fact that you say you didn't like the case I picked out, then picked the exact same one that I did, but with RGB fans and a white interior ;)

Classicgamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks good, like the plan

As mentioned earlier, this is basically spending money for the sake of spending money. Not only will you see no significant benefit in the real world, but you've also closed your opportunity to upgrade to 64GB; if you wanted to do that, you'd have to buy a completely new set, rather than just being able to buy another set of 2 matched DIMMs off of eBay 5 years down the line

Looks good to me. Keep in mind that the only thing the software controls is the lighting of the fans (and maybe the pump speed? That'd be more up to the motherboard, though). So if you wanted to just use the controller box to set it once, without syncing with the rest of the lighting necessarily, that'd be fine. Otherwise, if you're certain you'll be using an Asus motherboard, get a cooler with fans that say they support "Aura Sync"

I guess I'm a little confused as to why you're not going with the PSU the parametric filter recommended in my revision; again, there's spending to get a better value, and then there's just plain wasteful spending

Same applies here; the 970 line just isn't a big enough step up from the 960 line to justify the enormous price leap

I gotta say, I'm a bit amused by the fact that you say you didn't like the case I picked out, then picked the exact same one that I did, but with RGB fans and a white interior ;)

Well I figured I’d stick with 32gb at a good speed and such, idk anymore.

I’m not sure how much overclocking I’ll do so I thought some headroom with the psu would be needed?

I read a few statistics talking about longer drive life from the 970 in terms of read/writes or something. Negligible gains I guess?

Honestly you’re case is awesome but I thought the front ports wereon the side of the case? That wouldn’t work for my desk. I need top or front ports.

Edit: dang they are side ports after all! And I somehow did a round about and chose the same case lol

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I figured I’d stick with 32gb at a good speed and such, idk anymore.
Gotcha. If you want advice in terms of picking best frequency/CAS latency, you'd need to talk to someone else, because my knowledge there is pretty basic and entirely theoretical. That said, I definitely can't justify spending almost $200 more on a kit just for what is on paper supposedly a 10% theoretical gain with no real-world benefit
I’m not sure how much overclocking I’ll do so I thought some headroom with the psu would be needed?
"Headroom" was referring to more wattage; both the units we're comparing are 750 watts, which should be more than enough to drive this system with overclocking as long as we aren't talking about adding extra GPUs. Titanium vs. Platinum should realistically save you a few cents per month on your power bill, but that's the only real-world gain. Unless the warranty period is longer on the titanium.
I read a few statistics talking about longer drive life from the 970 in terms of read/writes or something. Negligible gains I guess?
I'd chalk it up to marketing. That may be the case, and I'll look into it, but again that's not something that I would personally be able to justify paying over 33% more for
Honestly you’re case is awesome but I thought the front ports wereon the side of the case? That wouldn’t work for my desk. I need top or front ports.

Edit: dang they are side ports after all! And I somehow did a round about and chose the same case lol
What's the issue with the ports being on the side, if I may ask? My set up (which isn't with this case, but it would accommodate it) is that my PC is on my desk to the right of my monitor, and depending on if I'm at my dorm or home it's either pushed sideways so the window is facing me or at a 45 degree angle to save some horizontal space on the desk

Classicgamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's actually just 5% faster, I did my math wrong. Divide the speed by the latency for theoretical performance. 3200/16 = 200, the other is 210.

I read it was CAS x 2000 / MHz = true latency. Now idk what that formula truely means but it provides a measure to quantify performance gains outside of CAS.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read it was CAS x 2000 / MHz = true latency. Now idk what that formula truely means but it provides a measure to quantify performance gains outside of CAS.
Was it this thread? https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/5p1gkj/when_choosing_ram_does_cas_latency_matter/

That formula is used to show the theoretical performance in nanoseconds between executions

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also, I'm guessing you found this site for the SSD? https://www.fullexposure.photography/samsung-970-pro-review/

The statistics there seem pretty reliable, and I suppose I'd agree with their conclusion. If it were up to me, though, I'd still get a 960 PRO over the 970 PRO just because of price/performance reasons. And for you there's no real justification in going to the 970 EVO, again, for that same reason

In the end, though, your decision

Classicgamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was it this thread? https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/5p1gkj/when_choosing_ram_does_cas_latency_matter/

That formula is used to show the theoretical performance in nanoseconds between executions

Also, I'm guessing you found this site for the SSD? https://www.fullexposure.photography/samsung-970-pro-review/

The statistics there seem pretty reliable, and I suppose I'd agree with their conclusion. If it were up to me, though, I'd still get a 960 PRO over the 970 PRO just because of price/performance reasons. And for you there's no real justification in going to the 970 EVO, again, for that same reason

Yeah, you’re spot on. There were a few sites as well- lots of good info out there.

Yes those are some of the sites I checked out! Lots of good information for sure.

I’ve never used amazon for electronic items before - I’ve been worried that they’d be jostled or damaged or whatever. Is this an unnessary fear?

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Either works, though IDK what the x2000 is. Probably just to make the number larger. Speed / latency higher is better, latency / speed lower is better.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
General rules for intel systems it to get at least 2666 (really you wont see much performance past this point outside of synthetic benchmarks)
For ryzen systems at least 3000, slower clocked ram actually holds the cpu back a bit

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Classicgamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($420.00)
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($154.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly - Kryonaut 1g 1g Thermal Paste ($9.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG MAXIMUS X FORMULA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($349.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-4000 Memory ($450.98 @ Newegg Business)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Pro 1.0TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($397.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Hitachi - Ultrastar 7K3000 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB TURBO Video Card ($1199.00)
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus - BW-16D1HT Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($105.88 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($124.79 @ OutletPC)
UPS: CyberPower - LX1500GU-FC UPS ($159.99)
Other: Seasonic PRIME Ultra 750 W 13.5 cm Hybrid Silent Fan Control - Titanium ($156.48 @ Newegg)
Total: $3675.02
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-18 19:38 EDT-0400

Ok this is going to be it! I'm just awaiting z390, i9-9900k & 2080ti final prices/specs/reviews to decide if it will be a z370/i7-9600k/1080ti.

I know you've got some concerns with ram speed and size. I've decided in the interest of future purchasing I was going to go with the ddr4-4000 and 2x 16gb sticks. The extra cost isn't that big of a deal for me here.

The psu will be titanium class at 750w. Researching shows that, for psu longevity, you want around 20% of the psu to be used at all times and a rough estimate of this system at idle is 135w. Then you'd like your psu to be at 50-75% usage with the system at max load which is estimated to be around 490w. The titanium class allows less loss of AC power to be converted to heat which is something I'd like to avoid with overclocking in mind.

I'm reading mixed reviews on the Kraken x62 though about pumps failing which makes me wonder if it's a solid choice. There's so many options out there and I just don't know if the Kraken is a reliable part.

I did chose the 970 pro over the 960 purely on drive longevity.

I also chose the case we've been discussing as well - the Phanteks. It really is a nice case and I guess I won't let a little detail like the front port location ruin it. I rarely use usb anyway and besides, my desk which the PC is going to live is likely going to be replaced soon anyway haha

My (new to me) house also experiences power surges as the sump pump kicks on and off making lights dim and such. I doubt it can do anything, however, I'll be getting a nice UPS/surge protector for it.

OK, now i just have to play the waiting game for the 9900k/2080ti info and release! I'd like start buying stuff locally vs online - I haven't purchased any electronics online worrying they'd be damaged on arrival or counterfeit or something... should I worry about that?

Also are there any incompatibilities on the list here?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Ughh gonna be bored today, class for new job has a lot of networking material and I'm certified in that already...
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Peen apple.
    +1
    "pine unf apple" doesn't count! Lol
    Employee code of conduct videos are awesome!!! Did you know eating the other employees is bad? I didn't know... Lol
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Anymore males there? :blush:
    All of us lol
    I got free every channel so that's awesome lol
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Give me ALL the gay pron channels, since you won't be watching them :blush::D
    +1
    Lol they exist?
    +1
    Hmmm so Mario Does Luigi's plumbing is a bad movie? Lol
    These videos are soooo dry
    Please click all suspicious links sent your email
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What to do today? Cut grass for 3-4 hours, or just get drunk and play video games... Hmm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I need a remote controlled mower, so I can sit on the couch and do both.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sounds good to me, video games and booze it is then.
    +1
  • denpafan @ denpafan:
    Good choice
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Now what to play, Starfield or Fallout4. And what to drink, beer or Whiskey and Coke. Such tough decisions.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Looks like its whiskey & coke, only 4 beers left. And think ill start with Falllout. :grog:
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    THIS IMAGE IS SO SCARY WTF. THAT SURE AS HELL IS NOT A CAT THATS LIKE A FUCKING DEMON

Untitled2.png
    Bonus points for running things over with the lawn mower?
    +1
    Monster truck Lawn Mower extreme
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Monster truck Lawn Mower extreme