[Philos-EoF-y] What does it mean to live a good life?

tfocosta

GBAtemp Z-Warrior
OP
Trophies
Website
nooooooooooooooo.com
XP
Country
Canada
f508cac7db5bc010977163b8413eda0c.jpg

What does it mean to live a good life? :huh:

And where do you find meaning in your life? :D

I've been trying to answer these questions myself but end up going nowhere. :unsure:

Please share your thoughts and let's find the meaning of life together in the GBAtemp. ^_^

Let's make this discussion something exciting and based on real facts. :rolleyes:

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have seen many people live. I have seen many people die.

I have seen many regrets. I have seen those do the opposite and have regrets the other way (if one regretted not working then yeah another will regret working all the time).

I have seen those with no hope of ever having a good life still manage something and I have seen those with it all and potentially able to do easy mode blow their brains out by one means or another.
That said it certainly helps not to screw up your life -- debt very easily gets you there so best avoid that, modern medicine is good but not that good so probably best to have some health and there are very few excuses for not, and while shiny shiny works a little bit it ultimately loses appeal or resets to form a new baseline so maybe don't chase it (some call this minimalism). Some seem to still be playing to their monkey brain and needing social contact (it is fairly widespread looking at various stats and approaches to life), others are less bothered there and can do the lone wolf thing.

For me.
Aim for health.
Don't get trapped by debt -- the ability to say "fuck you" and wander off and not have to worry about eating or a roof over your head is wonderful. In my case the biggest trouble there, and for most people, is kids your can't afford, which in my case means I have no crotch fruit attributable to me but that can be harder (drive to have kids is kind of strong, especially in women but not absent in men either and not playing to that does have interesting effects in many cases).
Other people are going to get upset regardless of what you do. Try to make it at least so it is not you causing physical harm that does it.
I like to make things/fix things/learn how things work, others prefer to care for people and animals, others care to explore, others care to learn many things, some care for music...*
Good conversation is a rarity and something worth having a few times at least but may need you to seek it out.

*judge a fish for its ability to climb a tree and you will think it useless being a paraphrasing of a popular line of thought. To that end find what you are good at, and know what you suck at (in my case I suck at painting -- drives me nuts, I hate it, in no way do I find it relaxing and just no. Wish it didn't as it is a useful skill but it is what it is). It may be that something you at least think you would have liked to have done it beyond you, and that is unfortunate but not as unfortunate at those that go anyway**.

**as above I like to fix things, I come from a long line of such people and most generally consider me good at it. I have then met those that struggle here despite thinking they want to do it. I have also met those that want to do it to prove they can do it (usually women that have a chip on their shoulder) and it too is unfortunate to see -- if you have to force yourself to do something you are almost inevitably going to lose out to those that play around with it on their own time because they enjoy it, can be relaxed and let the information just flow in, and all the rest of it.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have seen many people live. I have seen many people die.

I have seen many regrets. I have seen those do the opposite and have regrets the other way (if one regretted not working then yeah another will regret working all the time).

I have seen those with no hope of ever having a good life still manage something and I have seen those with it all and potentially able to do easy mode blow their brains out by one means or another.
That said it certainly helps not to screw up your life -- debt very easily gets you there so best avoid that, modern medicine is good but not that good so probably best to have some health and there are very few excuses for not, and while shiny shiny works a little bit it ultimately loses appeal or resets to form a new baseline so maybe don't chase it (some call this minimalism). Some seem to still be playing to their monkey brain and needing social contact (it is fairly widespread looking at various stats and approaches to life), others are less bothered there and can do the lone wolf thing.

For me.
Aim for health.
Don't get trapped by debt -- the ability to say "fuck you" and wander off and not have to worry about eating or a roof over your head is wonderful. In my case the biggest trouble there, and for most people, is kids your can't afford, which in my case means I have no crotch fruit attributable to me but that can be harder (drive to have kids is kind of strong, especially in women but not absent in men either and not playing to that does have interesting effects in many cases).
Other people are going to get upset regardless of what you do. Try to make it at least so it is not you causing physical harm that does it.
I like to make things/fix things/learn how things work, others prefer to care for people and animals, others care to explore, others care to learn many things, some care for music...*
Good conversation is a rarity and something worth having a few times at least but may need you to seek it out.

*judge a fish for its ability to climb a tree and you will think it useless being a paraphrasing of a popular line of thought. To that end find what you are good at, and know what you suck at (in my case I suck at painting -- drives me nuts, I hate it, in no way do I find it relaxing and just no. Wish it didn't as it is a useful skill but it is what it is). It may be that something you at least think you would have liked to have done it beyond you, and that is unfortunate but not as unfortunate at those that go anyway**.

**as above I like to fix things, I come from a long line of such people and most generally consider me good at it. I have then met those that struggle here despite thinking they want to do it. I have also met those that want to do it to prove they can do it (usually women that have a chip on their shoulder) and it too is unfortunate to see -- if you have to force yourself to do something you are almost inevitably going to lose out to those that play around with it on their own time because they enjoy it, can be relaxed and let the information just flow in, and all the rest of it.

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good and bad are up to you.

You define the goals, you define values.

Once you realize good and bad are up to you, you can imagine whatever life is good for yourself.

So what are your values? Do you like traveling? Try to travel!

Do you like drawing? Try to draw!

Now there are some things that seem to make people happy, but do you want to be happy? Is that what good is to you?

Maybe your version of good is helping others, and you will endure many hardships in order to do that. Maybe you won't be happy often, but your convictions will keep you pushing forward.

There is no one right answer to this question because inherently the question is flawed.

It's like trying to ask what is the best flavor of ice cream.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: I thought it was duck season, not... king kong season....