Hacking Phantom Kingdom Portable: English Translation

ChepChep

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have dropped that portion of the project because of the legal aspect and also it is rather complicated getting all the files packaged / encrypted and compressed back into a format useful for the PSP... Most people will not be able to do it... Personally I prefer english text with japanese voices...

Elaugaufein

Trophies
XP
Country
We're having problems editing the 16 color (4 bit) PNG files, in that we can't find an image editor that's *aware* of 4 bit indexed PNGs and that preserves the initial palette. Does anyone know of a free image editor that can handle 16 color indexed PNGs properly ? (The PNGs store the 4 bit index in a whole byte (as per the PNG standard)).

ChepChep

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I opened every file I can find in DATA.dat and every file inside other and still no intro text... I am completely at a loss where the font and text is being stored...

I found just about every other image / animation in the game though...

Reactions: Shinon and Linka

Daemonised

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So I opened every file I can find in DATA.dat and every file inside other and still no intro text... I am completely at a loss where the font and text is being stored...

why dont you try searching the ps2 version maybe its in a similar format?

Reactions: Shinon

ChepChep

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cannot find it in the PS2 version either... That is the first thing I did to try to find all the english text.

Shrunken Pixel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

I located the intro text in the game by using the PPSSPP debugger, extracted that chunk of memory and then used a hex-editor to look for specific byte sequences from the output memory within the whole ISO. Finding that the same sequence only appears once, I then mounted the ISO and checked each of the large files - that's how I was able to narrow the search down to DATA.DAT, the file DATA2.DAT didn't report any matches to the data I'd exported from the debugger.

I'm convinced it is in there. There were still over a thousand files after I eliminated all the sound files.

One thing I noticed - the MPD files are map files, though they appear to contain two different types of data in each file. Part of the file seems to be the actual map data, while another part seems to be textures or graphics embedded as part of the file rather than a separate resource.

Reactions: Gaming4Ever

Shinon

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Fact
In Japanese Zetta said After all i'am the strongest overlord in the universe
while in English he says I'am a freakin badass overlord

Shrunken Pixel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Fact
In Japanese Zetta said After all i'am the strongest overlord in the universe
while in English he says I'am a freakin badass overlord

Yeah. Japanese is incredibly tricky to translate properly into English because even if you do a literal translation, much of the detail tends to get lost along the way. English localizations tend to differ because of this - in a majority of cases for example, a character with a pun-based name isn't regularly apparent causing some scenes or jokes to make no sense - that kind of thing. When Zetta uses his "Badass freakin' Overlord" line, it might not be exactly as it was in Japanese but does manage to put across in English what the original does in Japanese, something which "I'm the strongest overlord in the universe" doesn't do quite as well. He's saying the same basic thing, but the words used in the official English translations put more emphasis on Zetta's own arrogance rather than simply him appearing to state a fact.

Unidentified_User

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I just played your patch in this game and I like it but is there any where you could translate the overlords description at the beginning. What I mean is the Japanese text that is like part of the graphics. I hope you could do it. Anyways you did a good job. Any plan on which next game you will translate?

ChepChep

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We are planning on translating the text you are talking about. We have just yet to find either the images or text location in the game. That "white" text has been a real pain to find.

No plans yet for other games. I am still wrapping things up with LPR and still a bit of work with PKP.
I may take a few months off between the next game.

I feel like getting 2 games 90-95% translated in under a year is pretty good progress for a newbie to the PSP scene.
I want to stick with rpgs on the PSP but no idea what next...

-ChepChep

Linka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I couldn't begin to suggest what next, other than maybe considering a menu patch for Antiphona's Hymn. http://www.amazon.com/Antiphona-Seikahime-Limited-Edition-Sony-PSP/dp/B002HOR37A

It's a game from NIS meant to be in the vein of Marl Kingdom, but it was passed over, likely due to Rhapsody DS's poor showing (due to fault of bugs and it not being a good port, despite it being a charming game) and the PSP's bad rep in the west. I would never expect a full out translation of the game, for certain, but I wouldn't mind seeing a menu patch for the game to at least make it, you know, playable. There's no real guides I know of in English for the game, which is the shame part.

Looking at screens for it, it looks like at the least, the battles are fairly easy to understand in-game, as they noted by symbols-- mostly what I'd be looking for is the menus outside of battles and the information that'd pop-up on the bottom.

Unidentified_User

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That's good to hear. I'll be waiting for that patch. I saw the game that Linka was talking about and it's part of the marl kingdom universe. Try to translate that game because I think it is a good game. I would like to suggest the games in marl kingdom series if it is ok to you. Anyways you did a good job because I never expected that you would finish these games so fast. :yay::yay::yay:

Linka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's actually a shame that the other Marl Kingdom games didn't get onto the PSP! Marl Kingdom is supposed to actually have a half-decent following on the Japan side, and La Pucelle is a spin-off of the series in the first place. Homard, for instance, is actually the child of the heroine of Little Princess, the second Marl Kingdom game, Kururu. And Elly, the DLC character of LPR and who appears in the Rosenqueen Shop, appears in the first chapter of Angel's Present, the third game. Heck, Rosenqueen itself started in Marl Kingdom, in Rhapsody!

I think it'd be at least definitely interesting that more people would get to play at least one of the games, even if it's just the menus. It'd probably be really hard to do any full translations, since there's not too much to base it off of, and would probably require at least one or two more dedicated translators.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/ALcfGYLXcjQ?si=ePdtM6b0p5sWaxof