Hacking Phantom Kingdom Portable: English Translation

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I would like Antiphona too (even if I never played it nor completed little princess yet). I'm waiting for gemini's Little Princess+ patch (for years ahah), having the sequel when he finally release it would be great.

Where's located Antiphona in the series? before or after La pucelle? (or maybe no particular timeline, only set after little princess).

< Rhapsody >< Little princess > < Princess Antiphona's hymn: Angel's Score >
< Angel's present covers multiple times ><La pucelle>
Angel's present chapter timeline
Ch.5 > Rhapsody beginning > Ch.1 > Rhapsody end > Ch. 4 > Little princess > Ch.2 > La Pucelle

Reactions: Hargrun and Shinon

Shinon

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I just played your patch in this game and I like it but is there any where you could translate the overlords description at the beginning. What I mean is the Japanese text that is like part of the graphics. I hope you could do it. Anyways you did a good job. Any plan on which next game you will translate?

Hope that's translated

Reactions: Daemonised

Unidentified_User

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah you're right. But I know there were three games from marl kingdom is on the psp but I'm not sure. I hope they would be translated. I would like to play them in English.

Reactions: Shinon

Unidentified_User

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah you are right. Only one is in psp. The other two is in ps1. I hope the little princess would be translated also after all we can play the ps1 games on psp.

Linka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No one knows really where Antiphona is placed in the Marl Kingdom timeline, mainly because not a lot of people talk about the game.

Also, far as I can find, Antiphona is the only game that's a PSP game; Rhapsody and Little Princess are both available as PS1 classics in Japan, instead.

Unidentified_User

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I read in one article that there is a group trying to translate and they are successful they just don't know how would they replace the txt. Is it really to do translation? Which is harder psp or ps1?

If I only the knowledge in programming I would like try to translate the little princess in ps1. I guess the marl kingdom series is worth trying play. I already played yesterday the rhapsody: musical adventure and the story is good. Then I read the articles about the series and I find it interesting because they said it has connection to La Pucelle Ragnarok.

ChepChep

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No idea what is harder PSP or PS1.

LPR was my first project that I worked on. I decided on it because it was one of my favorite PS2 games that had a PSP port that never made it to the states.

I assume PS1 is easier just because people have more experience with it and been working on game longer than the PSP but I really have not seen many PS1 translations finished.

Linka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I imagine the PSP probably has had a far more appealing Japan-only library in comparison to the PS1. There are definitely games on there that we missed out on, but the PSP was more visible, and a few games that were on PS1/2 were eventually ported to the PSP. It's why I'm still surprised NIS never ported the other Marl Kingdom games to a modern system. Many of the games, admittedly, that we missed on the PS1, were mainly dating/anime/toku games.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Rhapsody didn't sell very well (PS1 and DS) so I guess that's why they didn't care localizing the sequels.
I didn't like DS port (bad sound effects, modified battle system)

Maybe working on PS1 ISO is easier (you don't need to recreate the ISO each time you want to test, just use a virtual drive to mount the working folder and load it in emulator.
You will also cover more users (PS1/PS2/PS3/PSP users can play PS1 games)

Linka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't like the DS port that much either. I know the battle system was meant to reflect the later Marl Kingdom games, but I found the mini-SRPG system of the original PS1 game to be very charming. I'm super lucky that I managed to get the original game from a friend of mine, especially after the problems they had with sending it.

Though really I recommend anyone who can, to try the PS1 version. Not only is the battle system nicer, but the DS version lacked the English singing sections, which were actually very good and done by professional singers.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have the original japanese version of Rhapsody and little princess. (bought when I went to japan, in early 2000).

There's DS version English song patch somewhere...
it contains the english files so it's not very legal, so I won't link to it but it's possible to find.

Unidentified_User

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Many said ps1 translation is easy but the problem is I don't know how to work on their iso. I'm not good at locating txt files and the game script. They say you need to disassemble the rebuild the iso. I know nothing when it comes to programming. I'm not also good at debugging. So I guess I just have to wait for a patch. I hope they work on it.

I already saw finished ps1 translations. The famous ps1 iso translated is the tales of phantasia.

Shinon

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Lines in the battle menu and how to post pictures? Weapon and Select in the battle menu wasn't translated :)

Attachments

• pic_0001.bmp
    382.6 KB · Views: 256
  • pic_0003.bmp
    382.6 KB · Views: 267

Shinon

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
pic_0003.bmp

pic_0001.bmp

ChepChep

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shinon,

Thank you for reporting the bugs. We really do appreciate it. We are aware of those bugs. The missing select translation is "missing" from the eboot. I am havign a tough time finding where the japanese is stored.

ChepChep

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So over on the LPR thread we have been talking about how to get the save/load screen in english with an ASM hack.

Good news I got it all working for PKP.

Here are the details:

So at 0880AEBC (memory of PPSSPP) sw zero, 0x4(s0) was setting the language for Japanese.

This instruction can be found in the eboot.bin at:
0x6F7C

at this location the hex for the sw zero, 0x4(s0) instruction is:
0x040000AE

I was very fortunate that register s5 had 0x01 in it when this instruction was called so I changed the instruction to:

0x040015AE and save/load was in english and worked on the PSP-3000 hardware.

Japanese:
sw zero, 0x4(s0) Hex: 0x040000AE

English:
sw s5, 0x4(s0) Hex: 040015AE

So in short change:
Memory: 0x6F7C - 0x040000AE to 040015AE

I will include this in the next patch for PKP.

Thanks everyone for your help on figuring this out.

-ChepChep

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: All right! Who stole my right sock? :angry: