XP
Country
Malaysia

Linka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like the translation you posted as well. Probably not exactly what NISA themselves would do, but I guess you'd be best off, say, trying to find a Makai Kingdom script too and making writing comparisons, especially for the opening.

The one main nitpick I'd make about the translation is that Zetta makes a lot of "um"'s in it, and it feels very un-Zetta-y in my mind. Given his very boisterous and definitive mindset, it feels weird, I gotta admit.

Also this particular bit:

Zetta:
shut up----!!

I am stupid!?
and my stupid will make devil world to disappear!?

Linka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as you're still working on it! I just figured it'd be best to point out things I find "off" about the dropbox translation.

Linka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, I dunno how to unlock Valvatorez. I'm IMAGINING it's gonna be set-up much like how the Overlord/Cameo Character fights were done in Makai Kingdom itself, in that you end up Making a Wish through Zetta Book and spend Mana to unlock the stage that has them, but I'm not sure what the requirements, if any, might be, likely after having finished the game at least once. If you'd like an idea of what the requirements were for the Overlord fights and others, check out here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/926289-makai-kingdom-chronicles-of-the-sacred-tome/cheats

heatblade12

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
long time no talk, i managed to receive another UMB from the neighbored PNP (Past in present) games (im in canada) and i determined that my problem with the crash on "Game over" was in fact a faulty UMB and nothing else.

Shrunken Pixel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just tried this out - amazing work guys :)

I'm glad you're having less trouble with the fonts this time, the text in the game looks perfect and natural - in fact the only font problem I stumbled across was the double-width naming issue, which not only spaces out the letters of characters names but seems to impose a really low limit on the number of characters you're able to enter. This is probably one of those problems that would be far too difficult to fix for the amount of benefit it would offer so it's not a big deal.

I've also noticed a couple of menu problems:

- "Aliased" and "Anti-Aliased" seem to be the wrong way around. When I switch to Aliased the graphics become smooth, and in Anti-Aliased they become sharp. Perhaps the terms should be altered to "smooth" and "sharp" because they're a bit easier to understand for more people, while also switching them around so the one that is active is the one the menu displays (like in the other NIS games such as Phantom Brave).

- "Graphic Mode" takes me to a load screen. I have no idea what the game's wanting to load, but it won't be a graphics mode. Anyone know what this option's purpose is?

Reactions: Linka

heatblade12

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Graphic mode means it wants to load your file, when the file is loaded it will play a slide show of all the CG's you encountered in the game thus far in that certain save.

Reactions: Shrunken Pixel

Linka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with Shrunken Pixel, I think you should switch the Anti-Aliased thing to Smooth/Sharp, since that's actually what would be consistent with the other NISA translated games, as it is. Also it makes a lot more immediate sense to the player!

ChepChep

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea I will fix it... Also just got through another pass of the Petta Mode... Maybe this weekend will upload a new patch...

ChepChep

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also I am having trouble finding the font and text for the "white border" text in the intro screens and other places.

I edited all the japanese characters in font.arc out and replaced the font with latin characters and the "white border" text still showed up in Japanese and not in garbled text. I am convinced the white text is not using the standard font and scaling it like I was guessing. I am no clue where the images for the font is... I have opened every IMY file I can find and no Japanese font like the one in the text.

Anyone good at looking at looking dumps from PPSSPP emulator to figure out where the text is stored in the game?

Shrunken Pixel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Also I am having trouble finding the font and text for the "white border" text in the intro screens and other places.

I don't know precisely which text you're referring to, could either be the Japanese text during the intro sequence which is white with a black border, or the area title which is Japanese text in a rectangular box - or something else entirely?. I have a feeling the area titles don't use fonts but are a series of rectangular images, while the text in the opening looks like it might be some kind of movie file. I can't be 100% sure of either, but if they're not using fonts they could involve lengthy manual recreation processes even if the files can be located and their algorithms understood.

Shrunken Pixel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've had a go at using the debugger to see what I can find out, I'm no expert on this sort of thing though :)

The intro text is a texture image, 512x256 pixels. It's not a font file, but CLUT4 ABGR image containing a literal list of all the lines that appear in the intro. It'd internal ID is 0x040d0000, though at the moment I'm still uncertain which file contains it.

The Japanese text in the rectangular box is a transparent graphic (the box is a separate texture) similar to the above in that it says what it needs to in the image file itself. The file is 256x128 and only appears to contain one single line of text, it's internal ID is 0x040f8000 and the image format is the same as the intro text. Again, I'm unsure of which file this graphic uses.

I had a theory that if I could export those two textures from the debugger it might make it easier to locate them within the files, it won't be quite that easy, but there's a base memory address for both that may make it possible for me to extract the raw data straight from the PSP's RAM to see if I can find the same data within the ISO, can't promise anything though.

Ah.. a start: I've narrowed the second image down to being in DATA.DAT - now to try and extract that file to narrow it down further. It's actually compressed within the file - the memory dump has lots of zero bytes which aren't present in DATA.DAT, though non-zero byte sequences can be found identical in both files. Perhaps the compression only affects long sequences of zeros?

ChepChep

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I plan to spend a bunch of time tomorrow opening every single file inside of DATA.dat. Just about everything in the game is in there. I originally thought it was in START2.dat but once I pieced the file together I could not find the images.

Shrunken Pixel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I plan to spend a bunch of time tomorrow opening every single file inside of DATA.dat. Just about everything in the game is in there. I originally thought it was in START2.dat but once I pieced the file together I could not find the images.

I've just gone through them quickly, and found that all the SPS files (of which there are a whopping 2479!) are all sound files. The ones that have filenames in the format XX_XXX.SPS appear to be VAG audio (a form of PS2 audio compression), while the ones with filenames in the format BGMXX.SPS seem to be using some variation of RIFF WAVE format. If we ever find a player/converter for these it might be possible to transplant some of the voices from the PS2 version into this one, but aside from that I see no further use in digging deeper into these.

That does cut the workload down to "only" 1329 files though :)

ChepChep

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shrunken Pixel,

I have code to convert the PS2 voices to PSP SPS files. We are not going to include them due to copyright issues.

Shrunken Pixel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Shrunken Pixel,

I have code to convert the PS2 voices to PSP SPS files. We are not going to include them due to copyright issues.

I agree, can't be distributing large portions of copyrighted material - the project would get into trouble and the download file-size would be far too big. I was thinking along the lines of some kind of optional tool that a person could use if he/she already owns both versions, but I quickly realized there probably wouldn't be very many who'd either be able to use it or want to not to mention the additional content still having to remain Japanese.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Sicklyboy, Hey