Homebrew People with N3DS/N3DSXL + sysUpdater READ THIS before downgrading!

tyty123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question about you 9.5 emurand folks. I have a New Nintendo 3Ds Xl with 3 games on it. In a couple of days I have a microsd 32gb card coming in, which I will be using to hack the 3Ds. Couple questions.

1. Knowing that N3DS models only go up to 9.5 on emurand, are legitimate eshop games no longer download able?

2. I'm a monster Hunter addict and would like to retain my save file / online multiplayer functionality. I heard that if find the latest unsigned CIAs it is feasible to play online?

3. On the topic of save files, do I just manually drag my microsd card files onto a backup folder on my desktop? Or is there some homebrew app that specifically manages this? What worries me is how some files might be encrypted and undetected by Windows.

1. eShop can still be accessed with homebrew launcher ... as for buying.. i think you still can? im not sure.. but you can download free or purchased games

2. yes you can install patched firmware cia's along with the updates using a cia manager like FBI

3. i'm also a mh addict myself... my currently installed copy of mh4u along with save was retained because i did a nand backup so i could play it later....
alternatively... you can use savedatafiler to export the mh4u save and keep a backup.. and import it once you install the cia or dl the game again

Rickmofujohn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. eShop can still be accessed with homebrew launcher ... as for buying.. i think you still can? im not sure.. but you can download free or purchased games

2. yes you can install patched firmware cia's along with the updates using a cia manager like FBI

3. i'm also a mh addict myself... my currently installed copy of mh4u along with save was retained because i did a nand backup so i could play it later....
alternatively... you can use savedatafiler to export the mh4u save and keep a backup.. and import it once you install the cia or dl the game again
Thanks for such a quick and helpful response! Regarding the first question though, isn't it through some convoluted method that the eshop is accessed on 9.5 emurand? I've read around and am somewhat confused as to what needs to be done to get eshop to work properly after downgrading and splitting the nands.

tyty123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for such a quick and helpful response! Regarding the first question though, isn't it through some convoluted method that the eshop is accessed on 9.5 emurand? I've read around and am somewhat confused as to what needs to be done to get eshop to work properly after downgrading and splitting the nands.

i've never bothered to try to access the eshop anymore since i made it to cfw

https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-access-nnid-and-eshop-on-9-5-0-23-emunand.407714/

im not sure if the above method is still valid or not

D

Deleted User

I myself changed my mind a few times about downgrading my O3DS (10.3) to 9.2 (I had problems with HBL on 9.2 and went back to 10.3 so I was able to access HBL),
but then I downgraded back to 9.2 and got HBL working with browserhax,
although the old eshop downloader nor the eshop access worked on HBL
(I have no idea why) even though I used menuhax.... So I can't currently install ironfall/ironhax anymore..

If you haven't figured it out already, the reason you couldn't enter the eShop period is because your NVer wasn't up to date (that's the last number in a firmware version - 10.1.0.27, 10.2.0.28, 10.3.0.28). I don't know how you can do it as I haven't done it myself (not yet anyways), but it's totally possible and there are tutorials around here on how to do that (like the one above this post, except you don't need CVer and Tiger, just NVer if you're using it through Hans). Once you've done that, you can use Hans (or alternatively smea's shortcut; same thing really) to firmware spoof it. Also, Ironfall doesn't work on 9.2, only 9.5 (9.4?)and up. These things, while they are the result of downgrading, are completely normal.

Last edited by ,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
i've done four n3ds downgrades so far and they were all successful... my capture card n3ds was the one that seemed problematic but eventually succeeded after like 60 tries

i still think user error is the primary cause for failures/hardbricks...

That can't be anymore wrong if you tried.

The app/methods we have now are not stable. They can, and will crash or fail while installing. How do I know? Bricked two systems. One U and one J. Every precaution was taken. Verified they were for the n3ds and the right region. Md5 checks, and even different SD cards.

tyty123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The app/methods we have now are not stable. They can, and will crash or fail while installing. How do I know? Bricked two systems. One U and one J. Every precaution was taken. Verified they were for the n3ds and the right region. Md5 checks, and even different SD cards.

i dont know what to tell you but i've done 3 US and 1 JP so far and im 4/4

is it a soft brick? have you tried booting safe mode and updating to get them working again so that they're not bricked ..?

Rickmofujohn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i've never bothered to try to access the eshop anymore since i made it to cfw

https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-access-nnid-and-eshop-on-9-5-0-23-emunand.407714/

im not sure if the above method is still valid or not
Wait so after splitting your nands and restoring your backups monster Hunter didn't bitch about the system version? If so, do you run it from the emurand or the syst and? Did monster Hunter simply get created in the emurand upon emurands creation?

tyty123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait so after splitting your nands and restoring your backups monster Hunter didn't bitch about the system version? If so, do you run it from the emurand or the syst and? Did monster Hunter simply get created in the emurand upon emurands creation?

yea i just checked just now.. so after downgrading i still had my nnid and purchased games on my 3ds which included mh4u along with my saves... took a backup... formatted emunand... unlinked them... then restored backup on sysnand .. you could restore it onto emunand ... i'm still able to play mh4u

Rickmofujohn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yea i just checked just now.. so after downgrading i still had my nnid and purchased games on my 3ds which included mh4u along with my saves... took a backup... formatted emunand... unlinked them... then restored backup on sysnand .. you could restore it onto emunand ... i'm still able to play mh4u
Alright man thanks for your time. Long story short you restored ur sysnand onto ur emunand and now run mh4u off emunand?

tyty123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright man thanks for your time. Long story short you restored ur sysnand onto ur emunand and now run mh4u off emunand?

i restored my sysnand with the backup not emunand... but what i suggested you do was to restore the backup onto your emunand.. and it should still work... as long as you keep the game up to date by installing the cia update files for the game you should still be able to play online... if you do install cfw... i suggest installing fbi on sysnand as well

Cydget

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guess Im one of the lucky ones. N3ds USA now on 9.2 second attempt with browserhax. No soft-brick

Juiss

Trophies
XP
Country
France

sysUpdater is stable, it works the exact same way as the old versions without memchunkhax2 implementation. The problem is that memchunkhax2 isn't very reliable atm so actually starting the downgrade can be problematic and comes down to luck.
But once you start the downgrade it's the same as any other version, there is a relatively small chance to brick, the same as downgrading from any other version using any other exploit , if the program crashes or an error happens during writing(which comes down to luck again) but that shouldn't happen under normal circumstances and can't really be fixed.
Did the program crash or did it successfully install every CIA with your 3DS failing on reboot? If it didn't crash the fault lies with you, what CIA pack did you use?

Last edited by Juiss,

Duskie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
If you haven't figured it out already, the reason you couldn't enter the eShop period is because your NVer wasn't up to date (that's the last number in a firmware version - 10.1.0.27, 10.2.0.28, 10.3.0.28). I don't know how you can do it as I haven't done it myself (not yet anyways), but it's totally possible and there are tutorials around here on how to do that (like the one above this post, except you don't need CVer and Tiger, just NVer if you're using it through Hans). Once you've done that, you can use Hans (or alternatively smea's shortcut; same thing really) to firmware spoof it. Also, Ironfall doesn't work on 9.2, only 9.5 (9.4?)and up. These things, while they are the result of downgrading, are completely normal.

Yeah I learned pretty quickly, I'm currently on 9.2 on sysNAND and 10.3 on emuNAND and have everything in working order, if I ever need something from 9.2, I can just boot it normally and voila :D

Reactions: Deleted User

DarknessMonk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan

missinsummer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i have group chat more than 500 ppl, already have 20+ppl downgraded successfully, 2 ppl failed (one is shut down during cia infor, the other one did the same) , all new3ds.

i downgrade 2 of my new3ds, one is jap, one is EUR, successfully.

BUT SURELY THERE IS RISK!!!!!!

IT IS A GAME FOR BRAVES, CLAIM YOUR REWARD IF YOU CAN!

cooroxd

Dirty Pirate
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just successfully downgraded my new 3dsxl USA red.

Original firmware: 9.9
Upgraded to 10.3 before attempting
Firmware now: 9.2
Used browser hax entry to homebrew
Took about 20 tries to bypass the annoying cia fail error by rebooting, exiting ftpbrony etc.

G25900

Trophies
XP
Country
I must be lucky as hell, mine downgraded first time with no problems from 9.9E, all I did was back up my card, full format it, put the files back, md5 checked the cias and ran it.

So far the only thing I've seen some people do different to me is they put sysupdater in it's own folder inside /3ds, so it's at /3ds/sysupdater or whatever they called it, mine were just in /3ds.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Exactly.
  • linuxares @ linuxares:
    Thor from "Pirate Software" said its just better to pirate the game than buy from a keyshop if you care about the devs
    +2
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    devs don't get hit with the chargebacks, the keys are free to generate
    at least on steam
  • linuxares @ linuxares:
    Except he said the DEVS get hits with the chargeback cost
    +1
  • linuxares @ linuxares:
    since the key gets bought with a stolen credit card
    there's nothing to charge back because the keys don't cost them money to generate in the first place
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If the game has a crack sure
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Most these crack sites have dead links anymore or the crack don't even work
  • linuxares @ linuxares:
    @The Real Jdbye What don't you get? If someone use a stolen creditcard. Then sell said key on G2A. If I the dev sold the game key, I will get the charge back cost. That's how it works, it doesn't matter if I generate 300 keys if 300 of them are bought with stolen credit cards. I never said it was on Steam, but its the dev that gets hit. There is a ton of stories out there if you google it.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just buy other people's steam account :teach:
  • linuxares @ linuxares:
    Just tell them you're dead ;D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They already know
  • linuxares @ linuxares:
    I honestly wonder how the EU would say if I willed my account to you. And Valve be like "nope!"
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @K3Nv2 - sounds like you need a better place to find cracks!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Psionics offline right now or I would
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @cearp, Psi is offline at the minute, but he knows where to find them.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    get your mind out of the gutter, I'm talking about piracy
  • cearp @ cearp:
    not that type of crack
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I mean the drug not the booty pervs
    +2
  • linuxares @ linuxares:
    @cearp At a plumber convenstion. Loads of cracks!
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A plumber is either on crack or in crack or showcasing crack
    +2
  • cearp @ cearp:
    or of course, dealing with cracks (in pipes)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sure he could be on cracked flooring causing the leak
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sure he could be on cracked flooring causing the leak