Its okay...Im a ninja ;)
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
I don't know what I did, but suddenly it works now with 55-60FPS :O Very playable :D I can still see that its very stuttering at most part, but its a huge improvement over what I had earlier :D I still think I should clean my PC, since the cores temperatures are so high :P

EDIT: Wow...I knew as soon I was going to post this everything would start to lag and well...it did -.-

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Lol Attila, don't forget that Windows cannot differentiate between cores and threads.

Btw, depending on the Core i7, 3.5Ghz is a very mild overclock that can be achieved on air cooling. It's fairly easy to get an overclock of around 4Ghz too.

Quad core doesn't really make much difference in emulation since most of it only uses one or two cores. My old E8400 ran on 3.6Ghz most of the time with just a single BIOS tweak (no overvolting, etc) and it greatly outperformed my brothers Q9550 at 2.8Ghz in emulation. Naturally when it came to real games, his HD4870X2 got much higher framerates than my HD4870.

Reactions: Attila13

Delta517

Its okay...Im a ninja ;)
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
I like how my thread is turning out to some discussion about cores instead B-)

But OT though... I downloaded SpeedFan and it shows that my CPU is on 72C and thats when I don't even have anything running :blink: Do you guys think that cleaning the computer could help? :) It sure wouldn't hurt :P

Note: It's slowly sinking now :) Its on 68C now ;)

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country

But OT though... I downloaded SpeedFan and it shows that my CPU is on 72C and thats when I don't even have anything running :blink: Do you guys think that cleaning the computer could help? :) It sure wouldn't hurt :P

cleaning the computer and checking your fan speed in the bios
if the fans are at max and temp isnt dropping below 70C id would get some new fans before hard plastic becomes soft plastic

Reactions: Attila13

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States

Don't wink about 68C, that's quite near the thermal limit for your CPU before it starts accumulating damage.
What CPU cooler is installed? What thermal paste? Is there thermal paste at all?

BTW, the reason it's running slow is because your CPU is hitting 100C and is underclocking itself in order to prevent irreparable damage. Solving the temps will solve the speed.

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
Lol.. "high end". One dimm slot's worth of low clocked ram, the king of all value graphic cards and a mid capacity HDD with the lowest possible RPM.

Delta517

Its okay...Im a ninja ;)
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Lol.. "high end". One dimm slot's worth of low clocked ram, the king of all value graphic cards and a mid capacity HDD with the lowest possible RPM.
Well sorry then... :glare: I know my PC isn't "high-end" comparable with todays PCs, but I just wanted to point out that I wasn't playing on some shitty laptop ;)

Reactions: Celice

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Wasn't it so that PCSX2 Didnt support Quad Cores? Only Dualcore?
A while ago (maybe 6 months ago?) there was a huge speedup on quad, hexa, and octa core CPUs in the form of multithreaded MicroVU (iirc).
Now PCSX2 is up to 3-4 cores, and Dolphin is sitting at 3 (sound is now always a separate thread for HLE, and optionally separate for LLE).

EDIT: Wow, a year and a half already? Time sure does fly!

Reactions: Satangel

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I know!
I was just trying to say that if you have a CPU with HT, then Windows will show it as an octa core! :)

Technically speaking with Core i7 it is 4 processor cores with 8 logic cores. So if you want to play technicality that's why Windows showed 8 "cores".

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well sorry then... :glare: I know my PC isn't "high-end" comparable with todays PCs, but I just wanted to point out that I wasn't playing on some shitty laptop ;)
And thanks for that.

I assume you built this yourself? Though I could easily be wrong again :P I ask to know what heatsink you might've installed, and whether you've seen such temps before, or only up to now, with this machine.

If you haven't installed an after-market heatsink, or applied your own thermal paste, it might be worth doing so if after cleaning your temps remain high. But, unless your fans are completely gunked up with dust and dirt (every fan in your system), I wonder if your problem will be gone after a cleaning.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Technically speaking with Core i7 it is 4 processor cores with 4 logic cores. So if you want to play technicality that's why Windows showed 8 "cores".
Fixed.

Now I can't remember this because its been too long, but doesn't PCSX2 run part of the emulation through the graphics card? If he's got the settings too high, and not the hardware t match, maybe that would also explain his low speeds?

2ndApex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Speed depends really heavily on the game.

Most of the Tekken games are fine with your average desktop but Tekken Tag Tournament is an absolute nightmare on almost any computer.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Fixed.

Now I can't remember this because its been too long, but doesn't PCSX2 run part of the emulation through the graphics card? If he's got the settings too high, and not the hardware t match, maybe that would also explain his low speeds?
Logic core is also know as threads, so it is correct to say it has 8 logic cores.

PCSX2 does allow hardware acceleration on GPU (OpenGL or DirectX), and does a good job on it. I personally use software acceleration which is the most accurate one (but a lot more demanding on the CPU).

HD6850 is good enough for native to 720p resolution on top of my head. You will want to stick with DirectX 9 for performance.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Logic core is also know as threads, so it is correct to say it has 8 logic cores.
Actually a thread is the logical term for the line of work a program runs, and threads are assigned to cores. Hyper-threading allows a physical core to work on more than one logical thread from a program.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had same prob and someone here posted a thread that helped me. You need to download a diff version of pcsx2 that enables more then 2 cores, on pc with 4 cores+ pcsx2 will run slower then on dual core unless you use the right version.

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

Tact is not your strong point there :P

That said I never used to have that much trouble emulating PS2 on my old desktop with a 3GHz Core 2 Quad, 8GB of DDR2 800 ram and a HD4870

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1