Hardware PC not showing anything until Windows itself boots up

Halbour

Love yourself
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
So, whenever I turn on my Desktop, I see nothing on the screen, until the "welcome" screen of Windows 11. While it might not be a serious problem right now, in the future- when I might need to change something in the BIOS or check my drive integrity, I wouldn't be able to do that. That's a strange problem, which I had never heard of. A solution would be greatly appreciated!

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
1) Do you have fastboot enabled and other similar settings?
2) Do you have multiple displays connected?
3) Have you tried using a different video port on the GPU?
4) Did you disable CSM in the BIOS? (this caused me issues and I had to do 5 for my 1080ti)
5) Have you checked for BIOS updates, both the mobo and GPU?

Note: You may be able to still access bios via either a mobo utility or Windows:
https://itsfoss.com/access-uefi-settings-windows-10/

Reactions: Halbour

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I had to guess, you must be sporting either RTX 4080 or RTX 4090 for your GPU. These GPU have a bug that prevent the GPU to display during POST.
There is a firmware update to update your RTX 4080 or 4090 GPU that you can download. This should fix your issue if you're using these GPU.
Just make sure to enable your iGPU and use a monitor with it, before proceeding.

Reactions: impeeza and Halbour

Halbour

Love yourself
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
If I had to guess, you must be sporting either RTX 4080 or RTX 4090 for your GPU. These GPU have a bug that prevent the GPU to display during POST.
There is a firmware update to update your RTX 4080 or 4090 GPU that you can download. This should fix your issue if you're using these GPU.
Just make sure to enable your iGPU and use a monitor with it, before proceeding.
Well... I have a 2060. As my signature says. and the hell is an iGPU...?
Post automatically merged:

maybe a stupid question, but can't you just keep hitting F2 to get into the bios at bootup? does that work for you? I can't recall if my computer goes can go into the bios before the normal boot screen or not.
The screen's BLANK until Windows.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you might have case of

The boot logo is actually determined by the firmware interface used during the installation. UEFI installation will automatically detect the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) from the motherboard which is ASUS, thus flashes the boot logo. On the other hand, Legacy (BIOS) installation doesn't have this feature and will always use the Windows boot logo. This could mean ASUS reformatted your the new hard drive with UEFI installation during the repair period.

Halbour

Love yourself
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
I think you might have case of

The boot logo is actually determined by the firmware interface used during the installation. UEFI installation will automatically detect the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) from the motherboard which is ASUS, thus flashes the boot logo. On the other hand, Legacy (BIOS) installation doesn't have this feature and will always use the Windows boot logo. This could mean ASUS reformatted your the new hard drive with UEFI installation during the repair period.
What repair period...?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So, whenever I turn on my Desktop, I see nothing on the screen, until the "welcome" screen of Windows 11. While it might not be a serious problem right now, in the future- when I might need to change something in the BIOS or check my drive integrity, I wouldn't be able to do that. That's a strange problem, which I had never heard of. A solution would be greatly appreciated!
Try a different port on your GPU. The BIOS might be trying to output to a different port even if nothing is plugged in. This happened to me once. Also possible if you have VR that it's outputting to your VR headset.
If your CPU has an integrated GPU you could try disabling it in the BIOS as you probably don't need it and the BIOS could be outputting to it instead of your dedicated GPU.

eternal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How many screens do you have?
The bios will usually always work if you can boot into the main Operating System "display".
If you cannot for some reason see the bios initial load screens (from my exp)...you either, have too many screens, and the main screen isnt the one that you are looking at so you cant see the intial bios load up... or its so damn fast when you walked away to wash your car, or make a sandwich you missed it. lol

Keep in mind, this is just my experience, but usually its the first one. One way to test if the bios is working is to unplug the two or one known good screens, and plug in a random nother' one, and see if the bios screen pops up on boot.

Or now that I'm thinking about it, just check the cables too.

Halbour

Love yourself
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Try a different port on your GPU. The BIOS might be trying to output to a different port even if nothing is plugged in. This happened to me once. Also possible if you have VR that it's outputting to your VR headset.
If your CPU has an integrated GPU you could try disabling it in the BIOS as you probably don't need it and the BIOS could be outputting to it instead of your dedicated GPU.
How do I disable it in my BIOS.... if I can't see it?

How many screens do you have?
The bios will usually always work if you can boot into the main Operating System "display".
If you cannot for some reason see the bios initial load screens (from my exp)...you either, have too many screens, and the main screen isnt the one that you are looking at so you cant see the intial bios load up... or its so damn fast when you walked away to wash your car, or make a sandwich you missed it. lol

Keep in mind, this is just my experience, but usually its the first one. One way to test if the bios is working is to unplug the two or one known good screens, and plug in a random nother' one, and see if the bios screen pops up on boot.

Or now that I'm thinking about it, just check the cables too.
I have one lonely Monitor. That's it. and no, it's not fast, with Adguard and all the stuff that is starting in startup. The cables are just fine- how does it always "reconnect" when Windows loads?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
How do I disable it in my BIOS.... if I can't see it?

I have one lonely Monitor. That's it. and no, it's not fast, with Adguard and all the stuff that is starting in startup. The cables are just fine- how does it always "reconnect" when Windows loads?
You'd have to plug into the integrated GPU and get into the BIOS and disable it, then change back to the dedicated GPU.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: