Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
They either don't care, or they are smart enough to know that it doesn't matter.

Not convinced? Check this out. How many of these Jelly Bean features are useful to a console that isn't running Google's framework?
http://www.android.com/about/jelly-bean/

Platform level support for new wireless display settings implemented on Nexus 4, including the ability to discover and connect to Miracast™ compatible devices via Wi-Fi Direct.
Full HDMI mirroring with notifications and multi-display support.
- android.com
This would be an interesting feature for a console though.

lufere7

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm I missing something? Why can't they update the software?
Yeah I'm also wondering why those assumptions are made, even the worse companies at software updating release atleast one Android update for their Phones/Tablets so why wouldn't a system that seems will become popular not get atleast one update. And in the worse case, there is XDA. With the popularity of the device and it being supposedly dev friendly I'm sure it'll have a lot of ROMs to choose from.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Man, someone's even listed them on Wikipedia as a "8th Gen Console". Oh gawd. The laughters. Can't stop 'em.

Ahem. Anyway, has someone already said that this thing will bomb hard? It will run games that tablets run, without the appeal (for kids) of a tablet.
And why isn't it an 8th generation console?

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the worst idea ever. It's a cheaper, screenless Nexus 7. Nothing will really be proprietary, as it just runs Android. Anyone can play these games on any Android device. It's a gimmick that will die very quickly. I've worked in the gaming industry for over a decade. The Ouya will be popular when it is first out, and it will die within 6 months of it being released. People will get tired of playing the same cell-phone games over and over with a bluetooth controller. There is nothing that this offers that cannot currently be done with phones and tablets. This is a great example of you get what you pay for: you pay $100 to play mediocre games. It'll be put down and never picked back up after the second week of using it.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Because if you think so, then we should pretty much include every other Android device in there.
Weeell... If we forget about that and apply just the time of release criterion, I suppose it is "8th Generation". Besides, we can't forget that the device has to be gaming-oriented to be considered a "part of the family". :P

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Weeell... If we forget about that and apply just the time of release criterion, I suppose it is "8th Generation". Besides, we can't forget that the device has to be gaming-oriented to be considered a "part of the family". :P
Oh! Oh! You mean like every JXD, Yinlips product out there and the Archos Gamepad?

This is actually being marketed as a gaming console though.
See above.

Reactions: Guild McCommunist

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Oh! Oh! You mean like every JXD, Yinlips product out there and the Archos Gamepad?
Yes, I do mean that as long as "gaming" is the focus of a given device. If we could count in the dozens of "pseudo-computers", all of the "Pong Machines", all of the "Handheld Block/Brick Games" then we may just as well count in Android-based devices oriented around gaming. Heck, Nokia N-Gage is considered a console.

Now, I wouldn't go as far as to call it a "super-duper NextGen device" but if the time criterion alone is applied, I suppose it "flies". :P

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gaming is the last thing you should be doing on the Ouya.

Like great, it has OnLive and emulators. Whoopie. Like I enjoy OnLive for what it does but its library is still dwarfed by any home console or just a decent computer. Emulators, you have about a thousand devices that can do this, take your pick.

If you're really buying into the notion of "Ouya exclusives" that are perfect then you need to take a step back. They're either A) not gonna happen or B) be microtransition/ad ridden messes. At most you'll be lucky for Jetpack Joyride, MAYBE Temple Run (and its sequel) for decent, free games (they have microtransactions but they're not so in-your-face obnoxious).

The Ouya would be great if we lived in a money-less utopian society but we don't.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey Kennyboy, have you found any decent mini Pc for around $200-250? Fast enough to play most Pc games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the acemagic still
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, I haven't turn on my OG Xbox one in ages, just did now and ofcourse, 32GB update required, gonna take forever.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Edit: nevermind, I forgot I up-ed my internet speed, only 30 min remaining.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Will a mobo with a M2ssd slot work without a M2ssd installed, using a sata ssd temporary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    As long as sata just point bios to boot to it as main drive
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Is that a compilation of you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    M.2 is more of a luxury you can still boot from Ide if you really wanted to
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I mean as long as the motherboard still has sata ports unless you're still in celeron days
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    wut
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh it has Sata 3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It should still have a Bootable option in bios select drive
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    whats sata?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How you were born
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sata is the type of interface/cable connection of hard drives/disc drives for Pc.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't tell them about old bank drives may explode
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mini pcs in the 70's
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    128kbs of storage
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do I connect this to my emachine
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The Tattooist of Auschwitz is pretty good so far