Hacking Homebrew Okay, so I got the 2.6 FW PSP.

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
So I cna just upgrade my 2.8 to 2.8 HEN? I wonder why it doesn't say anything about that in the tutorial... :\ Thanks a lot though, raulpica. I sure hope this works...

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So I cna just upgrade my 2.8 to 2.8 HEN? I wonder why it doesn't say anything about that in the tutorial... :\ Thanks a lot though, raulpica. I sure hope this works...
HEN is not an upgrade
biggrin.gif
It's just something that makes your PSP temporarily capable of running homebrew, until an hard reset
biggrin.gif

By doing this, you can then run the 2.8 downgrader
wink.gif

I personally always read the official guides that are inside the packages. I find the ones made by users TERRIBLY confusing
laugh.gif

Uh... don't forget a thing! Remember to see if your PSP is TA-082+ by doing this simple step. If it is, remember to run the "TA082 IdStorage Changer" via HEN before downgrading
wink.gif

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
The HEN didn't work for me. I went in their MS_ROOT, copied the PSP folder, then replaced the PSP folder in mine with theirs. Reseted the PSP, went in the Pictures, saw the HEN in there and everything, but it doesnt run it. It just shows me a pic of a hen. What did I do wrong?

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The HEN didn't work for me. I went in their MS_ROOT, copied the PSP folder, then replaced the PSP folder in mine with theirs. Reseted the PSP, went in the Pictures, saw the HEN in there and everything, but it doesnt run it. It just shows me a pic of a hen. What did I do wrong?
The HEN picture has to be inside the HEN_280 dir
smile.gif
Did you copy ALL the contents of MS_ROOT inside your memory stick root? Be sure to don't forget anything
smile.gif

Then hard reset your PSP (turn it off), turn it again, and go into PHOTOS. Your PSP should hang as soon as it loads the HEN_280 dir and show a RED or BLUE screen. If it shows a BLUE screen, then the HEN patching was successful, and you can confirm that by seeing the HEN aside the firmware version.

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Yes, I copied everything. Inside the MS_ROOT that came with the link you gave me, there is a folder named PSP. I copied that and replaced my PSP folder. When I close the USB connection and go to Photos, there is only a Memory Stick icon. And if I go there, I can see the HEN folder, but it just shows me the pic. Am I supposed to replace my MS_ROOT with theirs instead of replacing my PSP folder with theirs?

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yes, I copied everything. Inside the MS_ROOT that came with the link you gave me, there is a folder named PSP. I copied that and replaced my PSP folder. When I close the USB connection and go to Photos, there is only a Memory Stick icon. And if I go there, I can see the HEN folder, but it just shows me the pic. Am I supposed to replace my MS_ROOT with theirs instead of replacing my PSP folder with theirs?
You need to extract EVERYTHING that's inside of MS_ROOT and not only the PHOTOS directory. That also means the HEN_280 directory in PSP, and the various homebrews that go inside GAME. And of course, the PHOTOS directory
wink.gif

The best way to do that is to copy the contents of the MS_ROOT dir inside the HEN package on your memory stick (so copy the PSP dir inside the archive to your memory stick) and overwrite EVERYTHING. That should work
smile.gif

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
I know, that;s what I've been trying to explain.

Inside the MS_ROOT folder that came with the DOWNLOAD, there is a folder named PSP inside. Inside that folder, they have GAME, HEN_280, and PHOTO. I copied the ENTIRE "PSP" folder into my root, which asked me to overwrite my OWN PSP folder with theirs. I agreed.

Then I exited out of USB, went into the Pictures, and yeah. The rest is explained above.

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I know, that;s what I've been trying to explain.

Inside the MS_ROOT folder that came with the DOWNLOAD, there is a folder named PSP inside. Inside that folder, they have GAME, HEN_280, and PHOTO. I copied the ENTIRE "PSP" folder into my root, which asked me to overwrite my OWN PSP folder with theirs. I agreed.

Then I exited out of USB, went into the Pictures, and yeah. The rest is explained above.
Really strange, I used this downgrader myself and it started almost immediately
unsure.gif
Try to turn off your PSP completely (not sleep mode, just turn up the power switch for 3 seconds) and then power it on again. If this doesn't work, backup everything, format your memory stick, copy the files again, shut off your PSP completely and then try again.

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Okay, I guess this is good news, but I got slightly further. I read a thread that said to turn off my Norton because it treats the file as a virus or something, so I did, and put everything back into my carD. Now it does something, but when I click it, it starts to go white and then freezes. I know it shouldnt work on the first try, I've tried 3 times now. Hopefully it can eventually work.

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Okay, I guess this is good news, but I got slightly further. I read a thread that said to turn off my Norton because it treats the file as a virus or something, so I did, and put everything back into my carD. Now it does something, but when I click it, it starts to go white and then freezes. I know it shouldnt work on the first try, I've tried 3 times now. Hopefully it can eventually work.
Damned Norton. After you downgrade your PSP, change immediately your Antivirus
rofl2.gif

Ok, remember to check everytime the system information, and try to start some of the test homebrews and hopefully all will go well
smile.gif

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Still not working... man, this PSP literally hates me.
frown.gif
Im about ready to cry.

EDIT: Okay, I got it working! But I had to reset, because I forgot to put the 1.5 update in there. So after it works once more, I should go to my Game section, then Memory Stick, then just run the update?

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Still not working... man, this PSP literally hates me.
frown.gif
Im about ready to cry.

EDIT: Okay, I got it working! But I had to reset, because I forgot to put the 1.5 update in there. So after it works once more, I should go to my Game section, then Memory Stick, then just run the update?
Great!
smile.gif

Remember to check if your PSP is TA-082+ by checking this. If it is, remember to run the "TA082 IdStorage Changer" before doing the downgrade. After that, you can proceed with the downgrade by running "Generic Downgrader X.YZ"
biggrin.gif

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
YESSS!!! Ladies and gentlemen, I am now officially running 1.5 firmware
biggrin.gif

Thanks so much raulpica, you we're definitely the most helpful person all day, and without you, I wouldn't even be this far!

Okay... so now what's next? What's the latest version of the best custom firmware?

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
YESSS!!! Ladies and gentlemen, I am now officially running 1.5 firmware
biggrin.gif

Thanks so much raulpica, you we're definitely the most helpful person all day, and without you, I wouldn't even be this far!

Okay... so now what's next? What's the latest version of the best custom firmware?
Thanks
biggrin.gif

I suggest you to proceed installing 3.52M33 and then 3.52M33-4. Also because it's require to upgrade to the newest CFWs (3.71, 3.80 or 3.90 all require 3.52M33-4 to install
biggrin.gif
)
tongue.gif

Then you might go on installing 3.80M33 and the relative 1.5 Kernel Add-On (otherwise a LOT of homebrews won't work) to enjoy Sony Custom XMB Icons, updated PSX games support and more
biggrin.gif

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So should I go with 3.52M33, and then upgrade to 3.90 CFW? oR 3.52M33 and then 3.80M33?
Go with 3.52M33, then upgrade to 3.52M33-4 and then 3.80M33.

3.80M33 has extensively tested and 3.90M33 pratically only adds SkyPE support for PSP Slim, so it's not that much if you have PSP Fat
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, it wasnt aimed at you but ok