Hacking Homebrew Okay, so I got the 2.6 FW PSP.

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
depends on your needs, will you be using the psp to play the newest games? if so go to 3.80 at least. If not id stick with 3.71, I was on that for awhile and had no issues. Also you may not need the 1.50 addon thing, it removes some function of the psp to make room for it. Many psp homebrew have been upgraded, so they dont need to be placed in game150 folder. I mainly use psp for Emulators, like nes,snes,genesis, etc. They all support 3.x now

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why not just go with the latest (3.9)? Isn't it good?

go for it if you want, Im currently using 3.9 but without 1.50 thing. I tried it once on 3,80, but I had no use for it, as I explained earlier, 3.9 is only really good for slim users. for Phat it doesnt really add anything, for slim it adds a voice chat program. If you have wireless at your house, you can setup your psp to download new custom firmware updates directly to psp. This requires 3.80 at least, normally this downloads latest sony firmware.

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Nope, no PS3.

Yay! After an entire afternoon, I finally have a fully updated 3.9CFW PSP w/ 1.5 Kernel Add-On. -feels special-

Now I gotta find some good homebrew... I looked in PSP-Hacks.com, but it's kinda confusing... I mainly wanna be able to play PSX/PSP isos...

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can make those yourself, if you have the actually psx game or iso, you will need a program to convert them to pbp format. I use POPstationGUI to convert psx game to psp format. ISOs for psp games, your gonna have to look in the usual places...If you find them tho stick them in the ISO folder, psx games go in GAME folder, just like homebrew

You will not find any of these at that site, they generally just have homebrew. Are you interested in emulators, check these out.

Gameboy/gameboy color.........RIN
Genesis/Sega CD....................PicoDrive
UO gpSP Kai 3.2......................Gameboy Advance
NesterJ...................................Nintendo
SNES9x TYL ME.......................Snes

just do a search for these programs on a search engine, or on a psp site. These are the ones on my memory card now, they all work pretty well.

If you plan on having lots of ISOs, you may want to get a 4gb mem stick or maybe even an 8gb. PSP ISOs are anywhere from 100mb up to 1.1gb. PSX ISO are up to 600mb, most of mine are 200-300, compressed.

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Wow, that's all? Just put it into the ISO folder and Im good to go? Seems almost too easy!

Is there any way to trim the .ISOS for PSP and PSX? Because I keep hearing they are so big.

Twiffles

танковые победы
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If it's just one folder (like UO gpSP Kai 3.2) it goes under "GAME". If it's folders like "pspsnes" and "pspsnes%" both folders go under "GAME150".

CSO is a already trimmed ISO, once it's a CSO it's already "trimmed". Unless you want to rip out the updates and other languages and whatever.

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes you can use a program that converts them from iso to cso, but be careful, this can mess up some games. 90% of the games i try work fine compressed tho. games that will mess up are probably one that use fmvs. One of the games I tried, brooktown high or something, would have extermly long load times when you talk to someone, 90 seconds instead of 5 when you cso it.

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Okay, I got it into the PSP and everything. I go to Games, Memory Stick, and its there and shows me the little movie and everything, but when I start it I get an error...The game could not be started. Help?

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you haven't got a umd in , you have to change to no umd mode. Hold R on start up for the recovery menu and change the umd option to the sony umd loader (np-9660 I think , can't remember exact name).

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you do have a UMD, make sure you turn auto umd start to OFF. Its really annoying when you start up your psp and the game in your psp auto starts when you dont want it too.

May be a little unrelated but in the recovery menu or the vsh menu you can specify what the usb port redirects to, by default its memory stick. Lets say you change it to UMD. You can now rip the umd to your computer, this is useful if you want the game to run off mem stick. This may seem a little strange but i do that with my hot shots golf UMD. Running off memory stick makes it load quicker, and it uses less power as the umd isnt spinning, but this of course would take space on your mem stick. Make sure you set usb to redirect back to mem stick after you rip the game.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If you haven't got a umd in , you have to change to no umd mode. Hold R on start up for the recovery menu and change the umd option to the sony umd loader (np-9660 I think , can't remember exact name).
The M33 driver is better. I got a bit of problems running some isos with Sony's NP9660.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans