Country
United States
spinal_cord said:
WiiBricker said:
spinal_cord said:
WiiBricker said:
spinal_cord said:
TheDreamLord said:
my cyclods sees it as a nintendo commericial rom.... if i hit info it doesnt say its Homebrew :/ Yet it works on SudukoHax so its strange isnt it?

Not at all. Commercial games have part of the serial code in the file header (the middle 4 letters). Homebrew almost alsway has '####' instead. That is the easiest way to tell commercial from homebrew. As DS homebrew was invented long after commercial games and has nothing do with Nintendo at all, there is no reason why this debug demo would have '####' as its serial code.

Is it possible to edit the serial code in the file header of commercial games to '####' ?

Yes, no problem. Wont do you any good though.

Well I was just thinking how the iPlayer cart tells homebrew roms from commercial roms. If it is possible to edit a commercial rom, so that the iPlayer recognized it as a homebrew rom, running commercial roms with iPlayer would be possible, but I think it wont work, huh?

There's a lot more to do than just knowing the difference. Commercial roms need to be patched a lot to work from a flash cart, homebrew doesn't. If the rom doesn't get patched in the correct way for the individual flash cart, then it just wont work. That's why all of the different flash carts use different loaders.

agreed. look at all the patching you had to do to get commercial ROMS to run on Supercard slot 2 devices!!
laugh.gif

and even sometimes then It wasn't perfect
tongue.gif

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
spinal_cord said:
There's a lot more to do than just knowing the difference. Commercial roms need to be patched a lot to work from a flash cart, homebrew doesn't. If the rom doesn't get patched in the correct way for the individual flash cart, then it just wont work. That's why all of the different flash carts use different loaders.

You're right. I just ####'d a commercial rom and the iPlayer attempted to load it, but ended up with a black screen. Well at least we now know how the iPlayer tells homebrew from commercial roms.

Edit: Dammit, I just broke the latching mechanism of my shitty iPlayer.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm pretty sure people knew that ages ago. I remember people talking about how one or two specific ROMs work, I think by this method. (Can't remember which game(s), I think it was Normatt that said it)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Generation 16 said:
stanleyopar2000 said:
Despite some people who can't stand an individuals opinion who should be posting at another site,

YES..thank you

And here we go again.

You just don't know when to stop, do you? Seems like alot of Stanleys have that problem.

Somebody
589714.jpg

STOP ME!

...but they're mostly clowns.

loco365

Trophies
XP
domon_god1 said:
can this thing reflash dsi or repair it because of 3d dsiware transfer download that damage my dsi? thanks!
No, it will not. If your DSi is damaged from the DSiWare transfer app, call Nintendo about it. They can send you a new one or repair the old one.

NintendyFan

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dicamarques said:
So NintendyFan any update?
wink.gif

I'm waiting on some contact tape to come in to attempt to a get a few of the other carts to work.

Other than that, not really. I came up with a solution recently for anyone with a bugged out Age of Empires Age of Kings game ( we had a bunch at work, so I dug into it)..

Using the Start + Select menu solution for the Debug Rom, I managed to get to the menu from the "Flicker" cart I've got ( which is the rom that was passed around ).

I've also come across a strange cart that when inserted into your DS, shuts it off. The only way to turn it back on is to plug in the power and start up the system. ( It goes without saying that I cannot dump the rom from this cart as it always shuts down the system when inserted.. hah )

That's about it for now guys.
cool.gif

TheDreamLord

Trophies
Website
darkraino1.zymichost.com
XP
Country
spinal_cord said:
TheDreamLord said:
my cyclods sees it as a nintendo commericial rom.... if i hit info it doesnt say its Homebrew :/ Yet it works on SudukoHax so its strange isnt it?

Not at all. Commercial games have part of the serial code in the file header (the middle 4 letters). Homebrew almost alsway has '####' instead. That is the easiest way to tell commercial from homebrew. As DS homebrew was invented long after commercial games and has nothing do with Nintendo at all, there is no reason why this debug demo would have '####' as its serial code.
then how does sudukohax run it...?

NintendyFan

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TheDreamLord said:
spinal_cord said:
TheDreamLord said:

then how does sudukohax run it...?

It's a Nintendo program without commercial protection.

dicamarques

Definitely not Bruce Wayne.
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Portugal
NintendyFan said:
dicamarques said:
wink.gif

I'm waiting on some contact tape to come in to attempt to a get a few of the other carts to work.

Other than that, not really. I came up with a solution recently for anyone with a bugged out Age of Empires Age of Kings game ( we had a bunch at work, so I dug into it)..

Using the Start + Select menu solution for the Debug Rom, I managed to get to the menu from the "Flicker" cart I've got ( which is the rom that was passed around ).

I've also come across a strange cart that when inserted into your DS, shuts it off. The only way to turn it back on is to plug in the power and start up the system. ( It goes without saying that I cannot dump the rom from this cart as it always shuts down the system when inserted.. hah )

cool.gif

Probably a bad contact on that cart?

NintendyFan

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dicamarques said:
NintendyFan said:
dicamarques said:
wink.gif

cool.gif

Probably a bad contact on that cart?

It's very possible. It's not my "Death Cart" gag cart. My brother was testing some DS games with his DSi and I told him to test this one out for me. He freaked out when he couldn't turn the system back on.. lol.
rofl2.gif

NintendyFan

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dicamarques said:
lol

But probably you can dump that 2008 cart

Hmm.. maybe. I really don't see how this could be any different than using Wood r27 or NDS Back-up Tool 0.4.

I'll save the link and look into down the road when I'm out of options.

The contact tape should arrive sometime within the next week which should aid in repairing some of these carts.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work