Hardware Official 3DS Technical Discussion

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The gap from the PSP to the 3DS is big. It's not as large of a gap as the PSP->Vita but it's still quite significant and not a small Gamecube->Wii gap like you said. That's what I'm arguing.

Again like I said to @xwatchmamx, big or small is just a matter of relativity.
When you say the gap from PSP to 3DS is big, what are you comparing it to, to call it big?

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Mario+Kart+7_Nintendo+3DS_2.jpg

Still far away from Mario Kart Double Dash(GC) screenshots
640px-BowserCastle2-GP-MKDD.png

640px-BowserCastle6-GP-MKDD.png

Propably these photos are from an emulator which upscales the GC resolution So.... come on guys deal with it 3ds>gc graphics as terms of advanced effects like motion blur aa etc gc didnt have those even if gc wins on polygons 3ds will make it look better

These are not upscaled screenshots, just look at it resolution.
Take in consideration the resolution.
With a atonishing better resolution(640x480 >>> 400x240)
And the ability to make more polygons, the GC games look a lot better than 3DS games

PS: Sorry for the double post

D

Deleted_171835

The gap from the PSP to the 3DS is big. It's not as large of a gap as the PSP->Vita but it's still quite significant and not a small Gamecube->Wii gap like you said. That's what I'm arguing.

When you say the gap from PSP to 3DS is big, what are you comparing it to, to call it big?
I'm comparing it to the Gamecube->Wii jump that you brought up.

You know what proves that the jump is huge. The fact that the GPU features modern shaders. The fact that it has a much higher geometry count than the PSP and is able to render games twice in 3D. The games that I've showed you that show a huge jump over the PSP (Revelations for instance).

It's a decent jump over the PSP and not in a similar ballpark as the PSP like you claimed, that's what I'm saying.

@VMM: Now that he mentioned it, that image looks like it was taken from Dolphin. There's no aliasing at all.

ShadowSora13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece

I'm comparing it to the Gamecube->Wii jump that you brought up.

You know what proves that the jump is huge. The fact that the GPU features modern shaders. The fact that it has a much higher geometry count than the PSP and is able to render games twice in 3D. The games that I've showed you that show a huge jump over the PSP (Revelations for instance).

It's a decent jump over the PSP and not in a similar ballpark as the PSP like you claimed, that's what I'm saying.

@[member='VMM']: Now that he mentioned it, that image looks like it was taken from Dolphin. There's no aliasing at all.
This ^^ :/ I was almost sure they were from dolphin maybe not upscaled but with AA from the plugin (proly dx11)

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
The GC may have the advantage in pixel fill-rate, but what about everything else? For that, why don't we do a small-screen comparison?

XNReNImZweZV88ttsh_ME3WqRvEaKr5P.jpg
59570023.png

I would have scaled the GC image to 400x240, but the aspect ratio change made it worse, so I kept the ratio the same, making it 320x240.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
If you believe that big or small is relative, then why are you even arguing about what is big or small?

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@VMM

REALLY? Did you seriously start a argument about whether the 3DS is more powerful then the PSP and then compare the gap to the Vita, then post bland unimpressive screens and compare them to full detail close up shots in an arguement with Soulx.

You must be stupid.

Reactions: 1 person

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
@[member='VMM']

REALLY? Did you seriously start a argument about whether the 3DS is more powerful then the PSP and then compare the gap to the Vita, then post bland unimpressive screens and compare them to full detail close up shots in an arguement with Soulx.

You must be stupid.
Meh, he's jumping all over the place in a blind and vain effort to avoid admitting he's wrong, as usual. How much you want to bet he posts a reply that says something like, "I don't know why you're so angry about this or taking me seriously. In fact, I'm just laughing about this the whole time," as usual?

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
@VMM

You must be stupid.

I used valid screenshots, and showed arguments, instead of others stupid.
I never questioned if 3DS was more powerful than PSP, if you didn't understand that I'm afraid the stupid one in this talk is you.

@VMM: Now that he mentioned it, that image looks like it was taken from Dolphin. There's no aliasing at all.

I admit I exagerated when I compared the difference from PSP-3DS to GC-Wii
But I fail to see why we can say there's a huge difference when few 3DS games show this supperiority.
And even comparing it to GC-Wii, it just shows it's not a tiny gap, but to be considered a huge gap there is a gigantic difference.
If we take in consideration the gap from PS1-PS2 or PS2-PS3 there is a huge gap.
The same happens if we take consider PSP-PSVita.
But when we compare PSP-3DS the graphical and power differences aren't that impressive.
Then considering this, I say that there isn't a huge gap between PSP-3DS like @soulx said, just it.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
But I fail to see why we can say there's a huge difference when few 3DS games show this supperiority.
It doesn't matter if it's only a few games. even if it was only one game, that would be enough. Saying that the 3DS doesn't prove it's extreme superiority to the PSP just because "only a few" games demonstrate it would be like saying that my Lamborghini "isn't much faster than an 81 Pinto" because "I've only driven it at 150mph a few times."

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It doesn't matter if it's only a few games. even if it was only one game, that would be enough. Saying that the 3DS doesn't prove it's extreme superiority to the PSP just because "only a few" games demonstrate it would be like saying that my Lamborghini "isn't much faster than an 81 Pinto" because "I've only driven it at 150mph a few times."

Have you read my whole post?

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yes. and you admitted yourself that "few games show this superiority." It doesn't matter if it was "just a few games." Just a few is more than enough.

If few games show a superiority, we can surely say there is no huge gap over PSP

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
If few games show a superiority, we can surely say there is no huge gap over PSP
That literally makes no sense. If you want to say that "most of the games currently available don't show a huge gap over the PSP," that's one thing. But you can't say that the 3DS has no huge gap in capabilities because "only a few games show it." That's stupid. Just because something is only done a few times doesn't mean it's power is less.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yes. and you admitted yourself that "few games show this superiority." It doesn't matter if it was "just a few games." Just a few is more than enough.

The PSP has been on the market for more time than the 3ds, it's only natural there are only few games that show this difference. But I've seen some early PSP games that didn't show a huge gap even from DS games either so I think it's just a matter of time.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
The PSP has been on the market for more time than the 3ds, it's only natural there are only few games that show this difference. But I've seen some early PSP games that didn't show a huge gap even from DS games either so I think it's just a matter of time.
Precisely. Another great example is early 360 and PS3 games, which didn't show much improvement over original XBox games. The difference was noticeable, but not that large.

Gnargle

The day I set a profile picture is the day I die
Trophies
XP
Country
Precisely. Another great example is early 360 and PS3 games, which didn't show much improvement over original XBox games. The difference was noticeable, but not that large.
Off-topic, but I would say that there is no game on 360 or PS3 that actually looks better than Wind Waker, despite WW being nearly ten years old and the 360 and PS3 being at the end of their life cycle.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Off-topic, but I would say that there is no game on 360 or PS3 that actually looks better than Wind Waker, despite WW being nearly ten years old and the 360 and PS3 being at the end of their life cycle.
Ehhhh, debatably, sure (Wind Waker is my second favorite game of all time). But I think that's more to do with Wind Waker's unique style. the cell shaded graphics allowed Wind Waker to sacrifice detail for smoothness. Where as most games on HD systems go for extreme detail. I think Little Big Planet is a great example of a PS3 game that has a unique art style that's very smooth, but is also very detailed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That green giant always making women transition