TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Many sources say its 268MHz dual core but can be overclocked.

Either way, the 3DS is definitely a powerful hardware. If not, it would not get these cross platform titles like Time Travelers. Although graphically inferior, it still has the power to drive.
Agreed. There's much more to power than just graphics. A lot of people think that the graphical power of the Wii was what held it back from getting a lot of multiplats but, in reality, there were many other aspects in which the Wii was inferior that caused it to lack in multiplats.

Reactions: 1 person

heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Forget the 3DS vs PSP! 3DS can run games nearly well as PS Vita, well not really but not a major difference like DS was to the PSP. 3DS has better lightening and better textures on characters. Vita being Vita can obvious do a bit more with higher res but it's really tight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxlra5dfsJo&feature=player_embedded

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Forget the 3DS vs PSP! 3DS can run games nearly well as PS Vita, well not really but not a major difference like DS was to the PSP. 3DS has better lightening and better textures on characters. Vita being Vita can obvious do a bit more with higher res but it's really tight.
To be fair, Snake Eater 3D was an actual remake of the game for 3DS, whereas Snake Eater HD for the Vita was quite literally just an HD port of the original game without any real enhancements except increased resolution. So while I think it's interesting, I don't think it's a fair comparison of the 2 systems' capabilities.

heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
To be fair, Snake Eater 3D was an actual remake of the game for 3DS, whereas Snake Eater HD for the Vita was quite literally just an HD port of the original game without any real enhancements except increased resolution. So while I think it's interesting, I don't think it's a fair comparison of the 2 systems' capabilities.
Remember this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D92S9unF88

This was a suppose tech demo made by Kojima himself in a short amount of time and it was mind blowing, he said if he had more time if could have gotten better graphics running for that tech demo and finished game would look just as good. However as he didn't end up directing MGS3D, we end up getting a horrible worst version compared to that tech demo.

3DS GPU definitely has some horsepower, see revelations. That's one of the best looking 3DS games and gives some Vita games run for their money.

D

Deleted_171835

That isn't a fair comparison as Snake Eater is a PS2 game ported to both platforms.

If you want something a bit more accurate, Resident Evil: Revelations vs. Uncharted: Golden Abyss.

heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That isn't a fair comparison as Snake Eater is a PS2 game ported to both platforms.

If you want something a bit more accurate, Resident Evil: Revelations vs. Uncharted: Golden Abyss.

True, anyhow I was saying the gap isn't big as DS/PSP. 3DS can do pretty 3D games too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMV72rdwgK8

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
True, anyhow I was saying the gap isn't big as DS/PSP. 3DS can do pretty 3D games too.
That's actually a really good point. While the DS was mostly limited to sprite-based games (and the ones that weren't frankly looked pretty bad for the most part), the 3DS can do fully 3D games just as well as the Vita, despite the fact the Vita is more powerful.

D

Deleted_171835

Claiming that the 3DS can run games nearly as well as the Vita isn't really true, though. The Vita is significantly more powerful and outclasses the 3DS at pretty much everything.

heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
D

Deleted_171835

Hm, the 3DS has some decent tech in it but I don't find it really impressive. The GPU is from 2008/9 and the CPU isn't really that powerful.

The Vita however features some of the best tech you can get right now in a mobile device with a quad-core GPU (same one used in iPad 3) and a quad-core Cortex-A9. And the difference really shows in games.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Hm, the 3DS has some decent tech in it but I don't find it really impressive. The GPU is from 2008/9 and the CPU isn't really that powerful.

The Vita however features some of the best tech you can get right now in a mobile device with a quad-core GPU (same one used in iPad 3) and a quad-core Cortex-A9. And the difference really shows in games.
The Vita uses the same configuration of CPU processors as the iPhone 4S and iPad 2/new iPad, just in quad core form (the iPhone/iPad was dual core), and a tweaked MP4+ GPU compared to MP4 on iPad 3.

3DS is rumored to use a dual core previous gen CPU (2 of them actually). Although quite a fair chunk weaker than the PS Vita's latest quad core A9 Cortex, it is still powerful nonetheless, or else it wouldn't drive that much multiplats.

MGS 3D Naked Sample isn't fair enough, but you can tell some 3DS power from there. Resident Evil Revelations is beautiful (and only launched less than a year after launch) and proves that the 3DS system can be a mammoth.

Uncharted isn't really THAT beautiful to be honest. It's a launch title, plus the colors are quite over saturated. I'd choose a full 3D environment RPG released later as comparison instead.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
The Vita uses the same configuration of CPU processors as the iPhone 4S and iPad 2/new iPad, just in quad core form (the iPhone/iPad was dual core), and a tweaked MP4+ GPU compared to MP4 on iPad 3.

3DS is rumored to use a dual core previous gen CPU (2 of them actually). Although quite a fair chunk weaker than the PS Vita's latest quad core A9 Cortex, it is still powerful nonetheless, or else it wouldn't drive that much multiplats.

MGS 3D Naked Sample isn't fair enough, but you can tell some 3DS power from there. Resident Evil Revelations is beautiful (and only launched less than a year after launch) and proves that the 3DS system can be a mammoth.

Uncharted isn't really THAT beautiful to be honest. It's a launch title, plus the colors are quite over saturated. I'd choose a full 3D environment RPG released later as comparison instead.
What about Gravity Rush? The graphics and art style on that are INSANE. I wonder if the 3DS could pull that kind of graphical style off at all...

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal

What about Gravity Rush? The graphics and art style on that are INSANE. I wonder if the 3DS could pull that kind of graphical style off at all...
I was about to add in Gravity Rush, but some idiots will complain that the art style of Gravity Rush sucks (not implying anyone here).

Personally after lending the copy of GRush from my friend, I don't really like the art style too. But that art is indeed a graphical mammoth, so I have nothing to complain. I doubt the 3DS will be able to pull that off.

EDIT:
I heard that only 3 cores of PSV's CPU can be used for games.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I was about to add in Gravity Rush, but some idiots will complain that the art style of Gravity Rush sucks (not implying anyone here).

Personally I don't really like the art style too, but it is indeed a graphical mammoth, so I have nothing to complain.
I kind of like it, personally (from what I've seen of the in-store demo). I mean, it's not something I'd want for all or even most games, but it was still pretty cool. Even if I didn't like it, it's still pretty freaking impressive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast +1