NYTimes issues DMCA takedowns against Wordle imitators

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Have they patented it? Because you can't trademark/copyright an idea.
And the idea of a word guessing game is hardly a unique one, so I don't think it could be patented in any case.
All the clones need to do is change the branding to not be too similar, and they're in the clear. Nothing New York Times can do.

NY Times didn't even come up with the idea. It's a 1 to 1 clone of Mastermind, all they did was change colors to words instead, and change the presentation a little bit. It plays the exact same.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Have they patented it? Because you can't trademark/copyright an idea.
And the idea of a word guessing game is hardly a unique one, so I don't think it could be patented in any case.
All the clones need to do is change the branding to not be too similar, and they're in the clear. Nothing New York Times can do.

NY Times didn't even come up with the idea. It's a 1 to 1 clone of Mastermind, all they did was change colors to words instead, and change the presentation a little bit.
A "word guessing game" - I'm pretty sure there's been a famous type of these, long before Wordle.
Crosswords, that is. You need to guess what word fits into the boxes, using the provided clue (that can be vague as hell) and any letters you've surmised from other words.

It's literally impossible to trademark a "word guessing game". Scrabble too, in a sense.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
A "word guessing game" - I'm pretty sure there's been a famous type of these, long before Wordle.
Crosswords, that is. You need to guess what word fits into the boxes, using the provided clue (that can be vague as hell) and any letters you've surmised from other words.

It's literally impossible to trademark a "word guessing game". Scrabble too, in a sense.
Crosswords are quite a bit different but it did cross my mind as well. Just didn't think it was the best example since the New York Times crossword is possibly the most famous example of a crossword and something many people associate New York Times with. Wordle is more similar to Mastermind than crosswords despite Mastermind not having anything to do with words.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wordle is more similar to Mastermind than crosswords despite Mastermind not having anything to do with words.
I beg to differ.
020_952737565.jpg

I had that game way back when. It was played with letters instead of colored pegs. Only 4-letter words, though. Overall, it was less fun to play than regular MasterMind.

Edit: re-checking that box cover art, I think this was pretty sexist. The girl standing behind the seated man, probably thinking "He's so awesome, he can play that game! I'm just a stupid girl, sadly!" Oh well, the 70's! :rofl:

Last edited by Dust2dust,
Reactions: The Real Jdbye

Winduss

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
* Obligatory pointing out that the game is the same as Lingo, which has been around for many years before Wordle *

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto