OP
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
steamgamepage_thumb.jpg

Nintendo is well known for their rampant DMCA policies, sending notices to small and big names alike for anything that remotely smells like their IP is being infringed upon, even in cases where fair use applies. This time, Nintendo is going after Valve and, indirectly, the Dolphin team, by sending a DMCA notice to Valve in regards to Dolphin's upcoming Steam release. Despite emulation being a legal gray area, Nintendo claims:
DMCA notice said:
"Because the Dolphin emulator violates Nintendo’s intellectual property rights, including but not limited to its rights under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA)’s Anti-Circumvention and AntiTrafficking provisions, 17 U.S.C. § 1201, we provide this notice to you of your obligation to remove the offering of the Dolphin emulator from the Steam store."
The Dolphin team has since removed Dolphin Emulator from Steam, and posted the following on their blog:
It is with much disappointment that we have to announce that the Dolphin on Steam release has been indefinitely postponed. We were notified by Valve that Nintendo has issued a DMCA against Dolphin's Steam page, and have removed Dolphin from Steam until the matter is settled. We are currently investigating our options and will have a more in-depth response in the near future.
We appreciate your patience in the meantime.

:arrow: Source
:arrow: Dolphin Blog Post

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Had to be expected when I saw the announcement about it being on Steam but it's still a dick move.... Is Dolphin not available on Playstore? Any notices there?

BETA215

Member not found
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
say it with me: 'I would like people not going to jail, and be able to enjoy things at the same time' :P
maybe Steam was too much, I guess accessibility has a certain limit when it can only be implemented by corporations unless *everyone* does something to change the power ratio overall.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
It's getting old about the "it's always morally correct to pirate X games" you will do it anyway.

I'm more interested what exactly they think they can stand on here? TPM circumvention again?

Reactions: boot3

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's getting old about the "it's always morally correct to pirate X games" you will do it anyway.

I'm more interested what exactly they think they can stand on here? TPM circumvention again?
I don't care about mortality, I am just a pirate

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
it amazes me just how stupid some people are. did these idiots actually think they would get away with?! they must have been living under a rock to not notice how fucking ruthless nintendo are lately :rofl2:

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

DumpsterDivin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has nintendo always been this way? What happened to the carefree days when I thought they were a friendly company, just looking to deliver fun to youngsters and oldsters alike? Was it simply the blindness of my youth? Is this just another example of a company losing their identity?

GaroK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I've always had certain guidelines and lines not to cross when it comes to piracy, but nintendo just keeps pressing people to hate them. I wanted to get a Switch, and I don't care if that gets me banned or not, I will try to setup Yuzu, then play and enjoy nintendo games without paying them, as a direct result of them illegally taking down a legal emulator from Steam.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I've always had certain guidelines and lines not to cross when it comes to piracy, but nintendo just keeps pressing people to hate them. I wanted to get a Switch, and I don't care if that gets me banned or not, I will try to setup Yuzu, then play and enjoy nintendo games without paying them, as a direct result of them illegally taking down a legal emulator from Steam.
Except at this current moment, it's not fully legal.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Inb4 kiiwii gives it a 0/10
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    6/10 rating on steam
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I would like a Predator game "Kill Team" it takes place in the Jungle of the first movie, your team is sent to hunt the predator, using current tech drones and a trained team. Set traps use strategy to hunt and trap or kill the predator.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ill stick with my Battlefield. Yea a predator hunting game like that would be cool. Esp if you can be Arnold and say "Get to da choppa"
    +1
    Maybe Arnold could do a cameo voice acting, he is the one briefing you on the mission
    +1
    Honestly surprised they didn't make a tie in game for Predators that movie was awesome
    I was kinda sad the Yakuza guy died sword fighting a predator lol
    The Russian guy went out like a boss
    Double claymores to the face definitely kill a predator lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went today and looked at a motorcycle someone was selling. I get there and the battery on it was dead, so the guy grabbed a battery charger and hooked it up. He plugged it into the wall, and the motorcycle sparked and started smoking. Come to find out the bike uses a 6 volt battery and the guy had the charger set to 12v. I said sorry to the dude and walked away. I felt bad for him tho.
    Sounds like it would be an exciting ride....
    Not sure I would want something on fire between my legs
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He ruined it basically. Sad cause it was a decent old bike. It would take more money to rewire the bike than it was worth tho.
    Yeah I'm sure at minimum the starter was fried
    Alternator and battery
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob alot of fried parts. It was still smoking when I left.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I would've said show me how it rides
    I always wanted one of those Smart Cars with a Hyabusa motor in it.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm getting sick and tired of cheap ass baking pans now
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think it be cool to have one that would fit in my pickup truck bed, then I could put down ramps n drive it off.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Used this one 5 times already impossible to clean
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 I didn't know Sonic serves they food in baking pans.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: @K3Nv2 I didn't know Sonic serves they food in baking pans.