Dolphin Emulator team officially abandons planned Steam release

AAfsdoifj.png

Almost two months ago, the team behind the Dolphin Emulator announced that they had put their planned Steam release on hold indefinitely following a cease and desist order from Nintendo, but did not cancel their plans outright, instead promising to review their options and come back with a more detailed response in the future. In a new blog post today, the Dolphin team explained what happened in more detail and what this means for the future of Dolphin.

The blog post begins by giving a more detailed account of what happened back in May. Valve's legal department initiated contact with Nintendo to inform them of Dolphin's upcoming release on Steam; in response, Nintendo of America requested Valve block the release, citing the anti-circumvention provisions in the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Valve then told the Dolphin team they needed Nintendo's approval before they would allow the emulator to release on Steam. The Dolphin team believes, given Nintendo's long history of fighting emulation, that this will be impossible and have officially cancelled all plans to release Dolphin on Steam.

Much of the conversation surrounding Dolphin's removal from Steam revolved around the Wii Common Key. This is what the Wii uses to decrypt its games, and has been publicly available online (and in Dolphin's code) for more than 15 years. However, Nintendo cited the use of "proprietary cryptographic keys" in its letter to Valve, claiming that because the "Dolphin emulator operates by incorporating these cryptographic keys without Nintendo’s authorization" it constitutes a violation of the anti-circumvention provisions in the DMCA.

This section of the DMCA states that "no person shall circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title" and also prohibits the trafficking of any technology that "is primarily designed or produced for the purpose of circumventing a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title." In this case, Nintendo believes that the encryption on Wii games counts as a technological measure to control access to a copyrighted work, and that Dolphin's primary purpose is to circumvent those measures through decryption.

However, the Dolphin team is confident that this will not affect Dolphin in any way going forward. They argue that Dolphin's primary purpose is to "recreate the GameCube and Wii hardware as software, and to provide the means for a user to interact with this emulated environment" and that only a very small portion of their code relates to circumvention. GameCube games have no encryption on them, and Dolphin is also used to develop game mods or homebrew games.

They also believe they are covered by the reverse-engineering exemptions laid out in the same anti-circumvention provisions. The reverse engineering exemption states that it is okay to circumvent these control measures to enable "interoperability of an independently created computer program with other programs."

"Dolphin is an independently created computer program that is circumventing Wii disc encryption for interoperability with Wii software," reads Dolphin's blog post. "According to this exemption, this does not constitute infringement under 17 U.S.C. § 1201."

As such, the Dolphin team will not remove the Wii Common Key from future releases, and firmly believe Dolphin is not in any legal danger. They will continue to develop and improve Dolphin, and even plan to implement some features intended for the Steam version; namely, a Big Picture GUI mode that is fully usable with a controller.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Almost two months ago, the team behind the Dolphin Emulator announced that they had put their planned Steam release on hold indefinitely following a cease and desist order from Nintendo, but did not cancel their plans outright, instead promising to review their options and come back with a more detailed response in the future. In a new blog post today, the Dolphin team explained what happened in more detail and what this means for the future of Dolphin.

The blog post begins by giving a more detailed account of what happened back in May. Valve's legal department initiated contact with Nintendo to inform them of Dolphin's upcoming release on Steam; in response, Nintendo of America requested Valve block the release, citing the anti-circumvention provisions in the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Valve then told the Dolphin team they needed Nintendo's approval before they would allow the emulator to release on Steam. The Dolphin team believes, given Nintendo's long history of fighting emulation, that this will be impossible and have officially cancelled all plans to release Dolphin on Steam.

Much of the conversation surrounding Dolphin's removal from Steam revolved around the Wii Common Key. This is what the Wii uses to decrypt its games, and has been publicly available online (and in Dolphin's code) for more than 15 years. However, Nintendo cited the use of "proprietary cryptographic keys" in its letter to Valve, claiming that because the "Dolphin emulator operates by incorporating these cryptographic keys without Nintendo’s authorization" it constitutes a violation of the anti-circumvention provisions in the DMCA.

This section of the DMCA states that "no person shall circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title" and also prohibits the trafficking of any technology that "is primarily designed or produced for the purpose of circumventing a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title." In this case, Nintendo believes that the encryption on Wii games counts as a technological measure to control access to a copyrighted work, and that Dolphin's primary purpose is to circumvent those measures through decryption.

However, the Dolphin team is confident that this will not affect Dolphin in any way going forward. They argue that Dolphin's primary purpose is to "recreate the GameCube and Wii hardware as software, and to provide the means for a user to interact with this emulated environment" and that only a very small portion of their code relates to circumvention. GameCube games have no encryption on them, and Dolphin is also used to develop game mods or homebrew games.

They also believe they are covered by the reverse-engineering exemptions laid out in the same anti-circumvention provisions. The reverse engineering exemption states that it is okay to circumvent these control measures to enable "interoperability of an independently created computer program with other programs."

"Dolphin is an independently created computer program that is circumventing Wii disc encryption for interoperability with Wii software," reads Dolphin's blog post. "According to this exemption, this does not constitute infringement under 17 U.S.C. § 1201."

As such, the Dolphin team will not remove the Wii Common Key from future releases, and firmly believe Dolphin is not in any legal danger. They will continue to develop and improve Dolphin, and even plan to implement some features intended for the Steam version; namely, a Big Picture GUI mode that is fully usable with a controller.
I mean I can't say I'm shocked. Though this was for sure partially on them. They made the mistake of keeping a certain bit of copywritten content in their source.

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ofcourse they're not gonna take them on, they're not stupid. Why fight a losing battle like that to eventually have your whole emulators existence pulled from reality altogether as would probably be the eventual outcome if they did fight.

Valve obviously shit themselves and either naively or cunningly thought to seek out never coming authorization to host it when again, if it's on the Android Playstore i dont see why it can't be on Steam.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Why do we need Dolphin on Steam anyway? lol
It works just fine as is.
Thats why I don't get the whole "Reeee Nintendo bad!" They literally have not done anything against Dolphin more than ask Valve not to add it to Steam.

They could take Dolphin to court and possibly win it all. They could throw lawyers to lawyers to the Dolphin team couldn't compete with lawyers about it and get a default win.

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Thats why I don't get the whole "Reeee Nintendo bad!" They literally have not done anything against Dolphin more than ask Valve not to add it to Steam.

They could take Dolphin to court and possibly win it all. They could throw lawyers to lawyers to the Dolphin team couldn't compete with lawyers about it and get a default win.
But i dont understand why not just remove the part that is problematic and make it so that user need to obtain it, and not be integrated.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
But i dont understand why not just remove the part that is problematic and make it so that user need to obtain it, and not be integrated.
Meh, if you read they would complain with DMCA anyway.
So it wouldn't matter if they Commonkey got removed. If Nintendo DMCA strike Dolphin for real, they probably will do something about it. But the Wii is an old system now, no need to throw money on it with court costs.

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blaming Nintendo is the current trend and all, but it's honestly Valve that started the talk with them about Dolphin on Steam. If Nintendo was left alone, Dolphin probably would have been on Steam just fine, like Retroarch currently is.

But my guess is that since Valve has been working with Nintendo in recent times (with Portal games on Switch and whatnot), they likely didn't want to get into trouble ruining their current relationship.

Takezo-San

Trophies
XP
Country
Seychelles
Blaming Nintendo is the current trend and all, but it's honestly Valve that started the talk with them about Dolphin on Steam. If Nintendo was left alone, Dolphin probably would have been on Steam just fine, like Retroarch currently is.

But my guess is that since Valve has been working with Nintendo in recent times (with Portal games on Switch and whatnot), they likely didn't want to get into trouble ruining their current relationship.
what relationship

giphy.gif

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
Really mad about this. Yes, yes Wii/GC emulation on Steam is a big no, no in general but Nintendo is still really pissing me off. Spend your time doing something more important.
They're a big company. They have enough departments and people in those departments to simultaneously be developing more than one game, play-test, market and take care of legal matters amongst other things. Hell, their legal department is so efficient and huge that they could probably be executing and engaging in at least 3 lawsuits at the same time.

Reactions: SylverReZ

Wolfy

Person That Never Was
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rather not piss N off anymore then they are most of the time from emulation and other projects, so honestly it could've been worse. Honestly expected N to go on the attack and treat this as an act of war and try and do Dolphin some harm so thankfully it didn't come to that.

Reactions: SylverReZ and Dud

nWo

The Game Master
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Mexico
No surprises here, but getting tired of this "you can't do jackshit with my things" on Nintendo's part. Is not like they have been giving an incredible service with the Switch. Don't get me wrong, I love the switch and the GB, GBA, NES, SNES, 64 emulators, I am an old school guy, but heck, I feel like ever since this new president took over, things feels totally stale and simplistic. If they were giving at least Gamecube games or something like that, or even a decent ammount of N64 games every month, then okay but truth is, they toss us scraps from their glory and don't let anyone else do anything about it. It sucks. But I am happy with my hacked switch. They have always been pretty strange and random, but I insist, since this president, things just staled pretty badly, at least in my opinion.

PacBunnyXV07

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintndo alwyas ruining everything.
Thats a weird way to say that Nintendo is wrong for protecting their property.
Post automatically merged:

Really mad about this. Yes, yes Wii/GC emulation on Steam is a big no, no in general but Nintendo is still really pissing me off. Spend your time doing something more important.
Deal with it.
Post automatically merged:

Obligatory 'fuck Nintendo' because they're massive wanks.
No one cares

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto