Hardware Nvidia Tegra chip to be used in 3DS?

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dunno. You do have to admit that one reason many developers avoid Nintendo systems is because, in their own words "their systems aren't powerful enough". Sad, and indeed pathetic, but true. Although that mentality is indeed sad, we might now see some interest in some of the more "graphics whore" companies like Square Enix and such. Not that SE hasn't supported DS in the past, but they would be more inclined to put games like Kingdom Hearts and main Final Fantasy games on the system. MAYBE. Only time will tell. Although Square Enix originally ditched Nintendo not because their system wasn't powerful enough, but because they didn't use disks. Square Enix has since been a "videos over gameplay" company, at least in part.
tongue.gif

But yeah, you'll still get idiot companies like Ubisoft who develop garbage like Imagine that could work on an old SEGA Genesis. They won't even try. And i blame Nintendo's licensing for allowing shit like that. Not that the companies themselves aren't 100% responsible for what they develop, but Nintendo is equally at fault for allowing such games. That is apparently why you see fewer casual games on Playstation and Xbox...from what i've heard.

br0br0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
murkurie said:
I meant terga 2 reaches 1ghz, opps, Well my ZuneHD with last week I was on vacation and didn't charge it for 4 days, reaching around 12 hours of HDradio and around 28 hours just music with 10mins of internet. That adds up to 40hours beating the 36hours Microsoft said it would last. Yes the Tegra is basicly a chip that contains every thing intgerated onto it like a motherboard. Tegra 1 can do 720p easily, I'm not such but I think Tegra 2 can do 1080p don't see what it shouldn't. after reading the specs it can do alot of stuff and it mutlicore up to 1ghz. I was looking at the ZuneHD's tegra which is the APX and saw this
# Display Subsystem

* True dual-display support
* 720p (1280x720) HDMI 1.3 support
* FWVGA (864x480) LCD and SXGA (1280x1024) CRT support
* Composite and S-Video TV output
Now what catches my eye is "True dual-display support
I know when on a dock the Zune and the TV has independent displays, the next generation also supports this, so tegra 1 is still a contender for 3DS

Yah, imma hedge my bets on tegra 1 then. The schtick is 3d, if tegra 1 powers dual screen, I can't imagine Nintendo making any steps to use tegra 2 , thereby upping the price point for very "best of class". It's not being hyped for best of class 3d, it's being hyped for -first- of class 3d. If tegra 1 naturally looks markedly better than DS, that is all a consumer will see, the difference beween 100% improvement over ds thru to 150% improvement over ds is negligible. 3ds isn't a boutique product, it still has to balance mass market sensibilties in it's hardware design/pricepoint decisions. The sky isn't the limit. lol

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zuron7 said:
They will use the Tegra chip because it can support 1080p.
I'm not saying they will or won't use Tegra, but judging from the Wii, they won't care about HD at all. They'll use Tegra if it's cheap, power efficient, and easy to develop for. If it's not, i doubt they'll use it at all. They don't care about HD resolutions and i doubt they'd make a system based around it.

The Darkness Wit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
The PSP isn't even halfway to reaching 720 on it's screen, no way will the 3DS do 1080.
The 3DS will be released about 6 years after the PSP, I think it's safe to assume that it would have better tech.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The Darkness Within said:
Rydian said:
The PSP isn't even halfway to reaching 720 on it's screen, no way will the 3DS do 1080.
The 3DS will be released about 6 years after the PSP, I think it's safe to assume that it would have better tech.

And what's the point of full 1080p resolution on a 3.5 inch screen? Most full-sized TVs smaller than 37 inches have a native resolution of 1366x768 as opposed to full HD, because thed different isn't nearly as apparent. If they don't bother for 30 inches TVs, nobody's ever going to bother for a 3.5 inch.

The Darkness Wit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TM2-Megatron said:
The Darkness Within said:
Rydian said:

And what's the point of full 1080p resolution on a 3.5 inch screen? Most full-sized TVs smaller than 37 inches have a native resolution of 1366x768 as opposed to full HD, because thed different isn't nearly as apparent. If they don't bother for 30 inches TVs, nobody's ever going to bother for a 3.5 inch.
When did I ever state that the 3DS is likely to be in full HD? I was just saying that comparing the 3DS to PSP would be inaccurate. You should read things more carefully.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The discussion was moving towards 1080p resolution, in response to which you said the 3DS will likely have newer tech than the PSP. Anyway, I was responding mostly to everyone who's talking about 1080p.

While the 3DS is obviously going to be better than a PSP, I don't see handhelds having 1080p resolution for a good long time; if ever. There's just no point in having so many pixels on such a small screen. Even if the screen had that resolution, the 3DS would need to have the power of a 360 or PS3 in order to really generate good HD games.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I was speaking size. The only handheld I'm aware of that can even display HD is the ipad, with a 1024x768 resolution, and that has a 9.7-inch screen.

That's 132 DPI. The PSP's is about that as well. Most computer monitors are around 96 DPI.

The 3DS would have to reach a much higher DPI in order to fit 1080 (or even 720) in a size resembling any current DS inception.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Rydian said:
I was speaking size. The only handheld I'm aware of that can even display HD is the ipad, with a 1024x768 resolution, and that has a 9.7-inch screen.

That's 132 DPI. The PSP's is about that as well. Most computer monitors are around 96 DPI.

The 3DS would have to reach a much higher DPI in order to fit 1080 (or even 720) in a size resembling any current DS inception.

If the recent reports about the Sharp screens are true, and Nintendo uses them, the 3DS could have 3.4 inch screens with 854x480 resolution. And even that's more than 8x the number of pixels of the DS/DSi/XL, and 3x the pixels of the PSP. No doubt enough of an improvement for a single generation.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
murkurie said:
I meant terga 2 reaches 1ghz, opps, Well my ZuneHD with last week I was on vacation and didn't charge it for 4 days, reaching around 12 hours of HDradio and around 28 hours just music with 10mins of internet. That adds up to 40hours beating the 36hours Microsoft said it would last.
this isnt really a benchmark

not only that but a lot of user are claiming no where near your 40 hours of usage

if you want to do a true benchmark that would be comparable if it was used in the ds then run some of the games ms released like project gotham racing on it with a full charge and see how long the battery will last

joshwaan2k

Trophies
XP
Country
Social0 said:
don't set your expectations that high. Lower them to something very low so you can't get pissed when the 3DS only gets PSP like graphics

Yeah you are right, we will proberly get something between N64 Perfect Dark graphics and GCN Mario Party stuff all in 3d
tongue.gif

Nintendo just give me a handheld that I can play some old N64 titles on like Conker's and Zelda and I'll die a happy man
smile.gif

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not too worried about the graphics. I'm sure it'll be decent but what I'd like much more of is it's power at running certain games. I'd like to be able to emulate things if it ever gets hacked. Emulating things like the N64 would be amazing. I wouldn't go as far as emulating a Gamecube though. I'm sure Nintendo wouldn't put such a powerful hardware in a 3DS.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anakir said:
I'm not too worried about the graphics. I'm sure it'll be decent but what I'd like much more of is it's power at running certain games. I'd like to be able to emulate things if it ever gets hacked. Emulating things like the N64 would be amazing. I wouldn't go as far as emulating a Gamecube though. I'm sure Nintendo wouldn't put such a powerful hardware in a 3DS.
It be sweet if they did and it be sweet if we could emulate it
tongue.gif

Saddamsdevil

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey, if it does have a tegra, we might eventually see n64 emulation
tongue.gif
I hope they make it powerful enough to do DC emulation...

Imagine Sonic Adventure 2 (I'm a sucker for this game) on a proper handheld.

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Saddamsdevil said:
Hey, if it does have a tegra, we might eventually see n64 emulation
tongue.gif
I hope they make it powerful enough to do DC emulation...
Might? We probably will see N64 emulation. The hardware's there if it has Tegra 2. We only need the homebrewers to do it though.
However, I don't think that's a big problem... Also, before all that, it needs to get hacked, so that is a problem.

Dreamcast runs at 200 MHz. Graphics engine does up to 7 million polygons a second, which isn´t that much, as far as I know.
So assuming that Tegra 2 can run UT3, that shouldn´t be a problem.

I don´t see why not.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Wholesome, welcome