Hardware Nvidia Tegra chip to be used in 3DS?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
lolzed said:
not true,if you get an EZFlash 3in1 for NDS and grab GBAExploader that would be loading,not emulating,that's why i thought VC was a loader
That's because the DS can play GBA games natively, it has GBA hardware in it. The Wii can play Wii and gamecube games because it has the hardware to do it, but nothing else.

Hiz_95

Trophies
XP
Country
[
Anakir said:
TM2-Megatron said:
current rumours place the PSP2 to be drastically overpowered, IMO. Same mistake Sony made with the PS3... really just too much.
(which was one of the same problems the PS3 had; the hardware was just too excessive for its time).
I think Sony is looking at the long term picture, sure the graphics are ahead of their time but if the PS3 is meant to last 10 years, near the end it won't be. PS3 sale are increasing faster than the wii or 360.

Hiz_95

Trophies
XP
Country
davidsl_128 said:
So the 3DS, a Nintendo handheld, would be as powerful as the PSP? That's fishy... when you think about it, it's Nintendo we're talking about... it's more likely that they put the tegra on the next Wii than on a handheld
unsure.gif

It'll be released abour 6 years later though...
Moore's Law.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Up until this time around they were on par or above in the a/v tech arena really at home, the wii was a huge change in philosophy so no you were right. They've always made a system to break even on at retail with at launch and until now the systems came out being of good power. This time though they didnt since the others felt it was good business to sell a system that loses hundreds of dollars a piece at retail and went with HD and high handed specs. Nintendo bowed out of that bs and went with the usual progression of the a/v arena as they doubled up or something and then sweetened the pot with motion controls instead.

This thing with the 3DS though isn't a wuss out for once as this won't be the weaker food chain handheld they tend to do. You'll get this parallax setup for 3D and a system that can pump it out like a Gamecube. Sony time and again has said that PSP2 isn't coming anytime soon and they're on a 10yr model and I tend to think they'll stick on that as they can't afford to bleed money right now and PSP is doing very well in perspective. Never has there been a handheld that has lasted against Nintendo Gameboy or DS models that has captured so much support with solid games and other media and pushed so much sales.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
themuddaload said:
I really doubt it. Ninty's recent track record has been to spend money making an interesting and quirky system, and saving money in the processing and graphics department.

Not that I wouldn't like to see it, but I find it unlikely.
Actually, that track record only began when they released the DS and to a greater extent, the Wii. Both of which are the current gen systems.

In all truthfulness, Nintendo has always matched or outdone the competition, at least in terms of consoles. NES was easily the most powerful system of the majority of the 80's. SNES may have a slower clock speed, but it has a ton of special graphical effects that blew the Genesis out of the water. N64 was killed by PS1 in terms of sales, but it had far superior 3D hardware. Gamecube was considered somewhere between the PS2 and Xbox for most games. It had some amazing looking games. Wii was really not much of a step up for most people. Even DS was a huge step up from GBA. So you can't judge their entire technical history just because of our current gen. That's actually pretty narrow minded and shows you don't know much about game history. Nintendo knows of fan demand, and they do not intend to stop listening and risk alienating their fans. They have major competition and will try whatever works to get their sales.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
Gamecube was considered somewhere between the PS2 and Xbox for most games.
GCN was slightly faster in terms of cpu speed then the ps2, but was no were near the xbox
about half the speed

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why are you contradicting me when i just said that? I never said it was as powerful as Xbox or specified how near it was. I said it was between the two systems. I was also not trying to say HOW powerful it even was, i was using it as reference to how Nintendo had kept up with competitor technology until the DS or Wii. Besides, there's much much more to a system than JUST clock speed. Genesis was about twice as fast as the SNES, and yet the SNES tended to output far superior graphics or special effects. Clock speed is not a good way to judge a system's power. >_>

I will give Gamecube one huge point though. It would seem that whatever development software they had, it allowed developers to more easily tap the power of the system in comparison to PS2 or Xbox. At least, in terms of multiplatform games. Gamecube often got the better version with games across all three systems. Least lag and fastest loading times. I've tested a few games across the multiple systems and the Gamecube version is usually the better one.

I will cite Sonic Heroes for instance. Gamecube's version was the best looking with the sharpest textures, fastest loading times, and the least lag at a solid 60fps. The PS2 version is locked at 30fps with a ton of slowdown even then. The shadows were static circles and didn't reflect the characters' models. And the geometry and textures were a lot more primitive. Even the Xbox version had slowdown issues where the game would suddenly chug for no apparent reason, as well as long loading times. I've seen some other games that have had similar results across the three systems. Generally, Gamecube is the better version. I'm not saying that's always the case as i've not tried ALL the multiplatform games, but the ones i've tested are better on Gamecube.

Hiz_95

Trophies
XP
Country
xcdjy said:
Hiz_95 said:
[
Anakir said:
TM2-Megatron said:
current rumours place the PSP2 to be drastically overpowered, IMO. Same mistake Sony made with the PS3... really just too much.
(which was one of the same problems the PS3 had; the hardware was just too excessive for its time).
I think Sony is looking at the long term picture, sure the graphics are ahead of their time but if the PS3 is meant to last 10 years, near the end it won't be. PS3 sale are increasing faster than the wii or 360.

But then you have to think of the reasons for that.
People I know are buying PS3s as they already bought a Wii and 360.
Seems logical if you're bored of your old console(s).

I know people who are getting PS3s for thir first 7th gen home console. Those may be the reasons. I think the PS3 will beat the 360 in sales by the time they stop making them.

zeromac

Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well they did say it was a entire new hardware system so i hope they ditch the DS and start the new handheld median with a different design, kinda like that japanese mock-up, that would be pretty awesome. As long as it has more features, and better graphics, I'm sold...

But seriously people, do you honestly expect 3D gamecube graphics? At most I'm expecting PSP graphics or slightly above PSP graphics

lakaiskateboarding

Trophies
XP
Country
But Nintendo did state DS games would be playable on the 3DS, so that means the hardware design is probably very similar to the DS, or they would have to emulate the games or put in extra chips, just like with the PS3 to play PS2 games.

lakaiskateboarding

Trophies
XP
Country
xcdjy said:
zeromac said:
Well they did say it was a entire new hardware system so i hope they ditch the DS and start the new handheld median with a different design, kinda like that japanese mock-up, that would be pretty awesome. As long as it has more features, and better graphics, I'm sold...

But seriously people, do you honestly expect 3D gamecube graphics? At most I'm expecting PSP graphics or slightly above PSP graphics

I'm expecting slightly-less-than PSP graphics.
I hope it will be better and it should be easily possible. Cell phones also have a lot of power these days and those things just have to be small. The 3DS will most likely be bigger than a cellphone like the iPhone, so they have enough place for a stronger GPU, CPU and a better battery.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
More power = more cost.
More powerful parts = more weight/size.
Faster clock speeds = more heat.
More powerful parts at faster clock speeds = bigger drain on the battery.

Nintendo knows that a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link, and they have to keep things balanced, so don't anybody delude themselves thinking they're going for the tegra for pure power. It's designed to be a mobile chip so it's going to be power/heat conscious at lower clock speeds, and I think they're going to take advantage of that.

They could build the ultimate handheld graphics gaming system, but if it weighs 3 pounds and overheats after 10 minutes of gameplay nobody will want it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: My therapy chair is padded