Mulsiphix

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.Talislanta.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm having trouble finding a solid guide that covers the topic of playing WW/VC games on a softmodded Wii. I have been able to find bits and pieces of info in various thread, but nothing really dedicated to the topic. Can anybody point me to such a source of information?

EDIT
I know ModMii is the big thing around here for teaching noobs. Unfortunately I just can't get it to launch. It crashes immediately (Win7 HP 32-bit).

modmii error.png

cloudropis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi there
This is my first time modding a console ever, so I'm the lowest common denominator and it can be seen clearly by my questions.
First of all, by following the How to SoftMod a Wii guide in this very site, if anything goes wrong, is there a way to say "screw it" and restore the Wii at the pre-letterbomb state? Or at least to keep it working with regular game CDs? Or is it a "you either manage your way all throughout or say welcome your new brick"? I'm confident I'm not-dumb enough to follow a tutorial without messing up and I'm confident the success rate in hacking a Wii is pretty high, but read my first sentence after "Hi there" again.
Also, I heard DIOSMIOS completely screws over the Wii's capability of reading Gamecube disks, is that true?
Finally, maybe this is not the best place to ask but I'll do it anyway. I've found another online guide that seems less intrusive (it installs a lot less stuff, but I think it just sets up the Wii for backupped regular Wii games, not Wiiware nor Gamecube), but I started documenting myself about Wii modding two days ago so I can't really tell if it's a good tutorial or not. I still don't fully understand what each software does, the only one I got is that it uses CFG loader instead of the ones mentioned in gbatemps' tutorial. Can you please tell me if it's a good substitute? CFG seems overall nicer, but since I want to be able to play to Gamecube and Wiiware backups I really don't know how to integrate this guide (Wii) with yours (GC and WW), If you could help me it would be nice.
I'll link the guide here, it's in italian but I guess it's easy enough to understand. I'd really like to avoid linking it because it seems "spammy" but I really couldn't describe what it does differently with my own words.
http://www.giardiniblog.com/modifica-wii/

Mulsiphix

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.Talislanta.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm having trouble finding a solid guide that covers the topic of playing WW/VC games on a softmodded Wii. I have been able to find bits and pieces of info in various thread, but nothing really dedicated to the topic. Can anybody point me to such a source of information?

So I've found a guide (scroll down to section 6) here on GBATemp that I decided to try and follow. So far everything works fine. Though I'm still curious if there are other options that utilize a loader other than USB Loader GX.

I know ModMii is the big thing around here for teaching noobs. Unfortunately I just can't get it to launch. It crashes immediately (Win7 HP 32-bit).

modmii error.png

It turns out that this crashing was related to a malfunctioning version of Microsoft .NET on my system. All later versions of .NET are backwards compatible with programs written using a previous version of the .NET framework. I was able to force this program to utilize .NET 4.X and now the program is booting just fine. To do this:

1) Open Notepad or similar text editor.
2) Insert the following into it;

Code:
<configuration>
  <startup>
    <supportedRuntime version="v4.0"/>
  </startup>
</configuration>

3) Save the file as modmii.exe.config and place in the ModMii program directory.

Now the program should start up with no problems! I've attached the file I am using to this post. Simply change the .txt extension to .exe.config and you're all set.

Attachments

• modmii.txt
    100 bytes · Views: 220

Charco

Trophies
XP
Country
I have WiiFlow configured and would like to set up an emunand using that loader, could anyone give me some info on how to doing this, is it similar to setting it up on USB Loader GX?

alexmohr1990

Trophies
Website
psyhcopig.deviantart.com
XP
Country
United States
So my SD Card is super junked up, any recommendations on a simple way to start fresh, I'm okay with blowing everything out, I just don't know what's safe, or what's needed to keep the Homebrew Channel working. I'm having a ton of trouble with new games simply not loading, they either crash to the home screen or just lock up on a black screen. Not sure if I've miss-modded somewhere because all the previous games (The big difference was switching to the new v10 cIOS) still work with no problem. Suggestions?

I cleared out my SD card, and blew out everything. I used http://gbatemp.net/threads/modify-any-wii-4-3-below.171901/

I reloaded it. Now no games load. : / Kirby still crashes to the System Menu, other games just load to a black screen, the Wii Mote is on but nothing occurs no matter what I press. Ideas? I mainly installed the batch of IOS files.

So it seems Mario based games work, just.. Nothing else. : / Brawl, NSSB, Kart all work... Nothing else. -Hair Pulling begins- ... I just want to play mai Kirby!

Dolphin plays the backup with no problem. By the way.

Mulsiphix

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.Talislanta.com
XP
Country
United States
If I were in your shoes I would simply re-softmod the Wii. You won't need to format your Wii. Simply mod over the existing installation and if these problems are mod related, they will be all cleared up. I recently found myself in a similar situation and this did the trick for me. All works perfectly now.

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
If I am doing a BootMii NAND backup, should I redo it if I have "Verify failed for block x" followed by "Verify failure for block x"?
The NAND being backed up has a few bad blocks, but the verify failures are not on the bad blocks.

Edit: Actually, they are on the bad blocks, so I'll assume all is well.
But what should I have done if the verify failures were not on bad blocks?

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I have a "noob" question... This is mostly because I'm not very familiar with what has been done with the Wii.

Is there a way to fool the Wii into thinking that a ROM from a USB Drive is actually being loaded from the disk reader, so said ROM will be loaded into the Wii's menu?

Mulsiphix

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.Talislanta.com
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to fool the Wii into thinking that a ROM from a USB Drive is actually being loaded from the disk reader, so said ROM will be loaded into the Wii's menu?
Just to be clear, I believe you are asking if you can install a game onto a SD Card or USB Hard Drive and then launch it from the normal System Menu (what you see when you turn on the Wii). The answer is Yes. Any homebrew software can be launched using a "Forwarder Channel".

Most homebrew comes packaged (assuming you are obtaining it from the developers official download source/website) with a fowarder channel. It is a .wad file that you install and then the channel appears on the Wii System Menu. Games on the other hand require a Loader to be launched (USB Loader GX, WiiFlow, etc...). You can make forwarder channels by yourself that are programmed to launch a loader and then tell the loader to launch the game. I haven't made any forwarders myself but a simple google search should provide a tutorial for your favorite loader. You can also find help here in the forums.

Here is a tutorial that should do the trick for you. Again I haven't tested this myself, but I found a conversation on this topic that recommends this exact approach.

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Just to be clear, I believe you are asking if you can install a game onto a SD Card or USB Hard Drive and then launch it from the normal System Menu (what you see when you turn on the Wii). The answer is Yes. Any homebrew software can be launched using a "Forwarder Channel".

Most homebrew comes packaged (assuming you are obtaining it from the developers official download source/website) with a fowarder channel. It is a .wad file that you install and then the channel appears on the Wii System Menu. Games on the other hand require a Loader to be launched (USB Loader GX, WiiFlow, etc...). You can make forwarder channels by yourself that are programmed to launch a loader and then tell the loader to launch the game. I haven't made any forwarders myself but a simple google search should provide a tutorial for your favorite loader. You can also find help here in the forums.

Here is a tutorial that should do the trick for you. Again I haven't tested this myself, but I found a conversation on this topic that recommends this exact approach.

Thanks for the detailed answer, but that's not what I'm looking for. Have you checked how the Gateway 3DS works? You select a game from the MicroSD card inserted into the flashcard and then GW "places it" into the cartridge slot, as if you have inserted the actual retail game; I would like to know if something similar exists for the Wii, something that can "place" or forward a game from an SD or USB disc to the disc slot of the Wii, even if nothing is in there. Probably something like that doesn't exist, but I just wanted to be sure.

Mulsiphix

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.Talislanta.com
XP
Country
United States
I would like to know if something similar exists for the Wii, something that can "place" or forward a game from an SD or USB disc to the disc slot of the Wii, even if nothing is in there. Probably something like that doesn't exist, but I just wanted to be sure.
Nope. The closest thing, still not exactly what your inquiring about, would be the WODE. What would you hope to gain using such a device with the Wii?

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Nope. The closest thing, still not exactly what your inquiring about, would be the WODE. What would you hope to gain using such a device with the Wii?

Device, homebrew, whatever the solution is... well, this would help to load stuff like the CTGP for MKW for people like me that have a Wii with a broken laser.

kenthy95

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey, the USB port near the edge of my wii is broken, so i was wondering if I could use a HDD to play backups using the other USB port? Most tutorials say thay they require you to use the port near the edge but I was wondering if this is actually needed? :yaywii:

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Hey, the USB port near the edge of my wii is broken, so i was wondering if I could use a HDD to play backups using the other USB port? Most tutorials say thay they require you to use the port near the edge but I was wondering if this is actually needed? :yaywii:

Hermes cIOS can be installed, allowing the other port to be used.
If you are familiar with ModMii, you should know what to do from here ;).
If not, just PM me and I will guide you through setting up port 2.

Reactions: kenthy95

Mulsiphix

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.Talislanta.com
XP
Country
United States
Device, homebrew, whatever the solution is... well, this would help to load stuff like the CTGP for MKW for people like me that have a Wii with a broken laser.
If you softmod your Wii you will be able to use any homebrew you like, unless it is written to use the disc drive of course (media player, physical backup launcher, etc...). Most Loaders can run any game and 90%+ of WiiWare and Virtual Console games. For that remaining 10% you can use Neek2o which will play these games. The need for such a device at this point in time is pretty much non-existent.

Mulsiphix

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.Talislanta.com
XP
Country
United States
USB Loader GX and the latest WiiFlow both have the option to specify which USB port to use. Pretty sure this only works if you have a specific cIOS installed though.

Reactions: kenthy95

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
If you softmod your Wii you will be able to use any homebrew you like, unless it is written to use the disc drive of course (media player, physical backup launcher, etc...).

Yes, that's exactly the problem with the CTGP. I see now that there is no workaround for this. Thank you for all of your responses.

alexmohr1990

Trophies
Website
psyhcopig.deviantart.com
XP
Country
United States
What guide is recommended for re-softmodding my Wii these days? Using the ... Trying to re-letterbomb just crashes me. Halp. I'm on 4.3U .. Maybe try Smashstack? It's the one game I could do a hack with. I'm at a loss. : / Does smashstack still work on 4.3U?

..Edit. So I formatted my Wii, cleaned my SD card, put a fresh copy of letterbomb and HackMii on it and there it goes! The HBC is back, the letterbomb worked. ... Loaded up, got internet connected, HBC functional, installed cIOS 249 base 56 and 250 base 57 ... And back to the same point. So far only Mario games and Monster Hunter work. Oh and Wii Sports resort. Not sure what else to try as they worked at one point. Are there other cIOS I should have? I'm at a loss here.

TimAWang

Trophies
XP
Country
Hello there! I am trying to help my nephew who semi-bricked his wii. He has a Taiwan region 2008 unit. The system config is unaccessible so cannot be sure if I got the region right. The unit cannot connect to my wifi. I tried launching bootmii in the Homebrew Channel but the screen just blacks out with the drive led blinking. He said it has been this way for a year already. I wish someone can tell me what to do or at least point me to a link to fix it. Thank you very much in advance.

DaXIthR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's a problem:

I have some bad data on my SD Card that's causing my Wii to boot to a black screen.

In the root directory: hacks.ini.
In the bootmii folder are 3 files: armboot.bin, bootmii.ini, ppcboot.elf.

I'd love ideas on how/where to update and restore errors on these files. Thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)