skateboard34

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PPSainity said:
skateboard34 said:
How do I actually get the game backups onto the Wii? I have a .iso file that's 4 GB but my SD Card is only 2 GB. Is it possible for me to play the game backup?
No, the only methods to load backups are via burnt disc media (disc loading), mod-drives (ie WODE), and USB HDD/flash drives (USB loading). While you may be able to scrub the backup image to a size smaller than 2GB (this is dependent on the particular game partition contents) you will not be able to run the game from the Wii's SD card slot.

My recommendation is to get a cheap compatible USB HDD and use a USB Loader. You can read up on backup loaders over at the Complete SoftMOD Guide.

-[]D

*EDIT, I forgot about NeoGamma, it is able to run games via the Wii's SD card slot, but USB loading is still highly recommended over it.

Thanks, I only have a 4 GB USB drive. The .iso file is 4.5 GB. Does this mean that I'm screwed and can't run the game? Thanks in advance.

FriendlyCreeper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK so now i fixed the error that wouldn't allow me to install wads by reinstalling cIOS 236 and wads that i got from the compleate 4.3 and below softmod guide. But can anyone give me a link to a usbloader gx install guide for 4.3E or can i just run it and it will work just fine?

P.S. To people thinking that i want to pirate games, i dont, I just want to backup my STORE BAUGHT games on a HDD so i dont have to worry about loosing or scraching my disc when i go on wacation (and bring my wii)

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
skateboard34 said:
Thanks, I only have a 4 GB USB drive. The .iso file is 4.5 GB. Does this mean that I'm screwed and can't run the game? Thanks in advance.
Sorry, I should of been more clear. You may be able to run your game off of your 2GB SD card. I would recommend investing in USB loading over SD loading as it is vastly easier and less limiting. That said, you may be able to run the game off of the SD card by scrubbing the game down to its game partition only. This is solely dependent on which game you have as larger games have more data. Like zizer mentions,
QUOTE(zizer @ Jul 3 2011, 07:04 AM) use wbfs games (Wii Backup Manager can help convert games)
you can use backup managers like Wii Backup Manager to convert the full size ISO image into a scrubbed WBFS file image. If the resultant WBFS file image is smaller than 2GB, then you are in luck and will be able to fit the game on your SD card - note that I say less than 2GB, as you also have to make room on your SD card for the loader files. I'll refer you again to the Complete SoftMOD Guide's entry on Loaders for information on the various loaders available and on how to use them.

-[]D

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
FriendlyCreeper said:
P.S. To people thinking that i want to pirate games, i dont, I just want to backup my STORE BAUGHT games on a HDD so i dont have to worry about loosing or scraching my disc when i go on wacation (and bring my wii)
Don't worry about being labeled a pirate...just as long as you don't explicitly state that you are a pirate, or actively promote piracy (it is against GBAtemp rules) you will be okay. The forums have become a soapbox as of late for those who insist on actively pushing their particular point of views*. Don't worry what others assume about you, they will always do so. I myself prefer to live and let live as far as piracy goes, as I see piracy is a personal choice be it an act of protest or sheer greed.

*and yes, I am on a soapbox right now too
tongue.gif
Okay, I'll get off and do some laundry instead...

-[]D

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Speaking of store bought games...anyone notice that the white Wii game container boxes develop a weird film on them over time??? I have all of mine (except for the metal MPT box which goes on a shelf
biggrin.gif
) stored in cardboard filing boxes. Maybe it is time to use airtight rubbermaid boxes... How do you all store your games for long term storage?

-[]D

FriendlyCreeper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a problem with USB loader gx. It loads up ok, and i lets me backup my games, (I backed up wii sports) but the problem is that when i try to launch a game (click on the disc) it just exits to the homebrew channel. Can anyone help?

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
FriendlyCreeper said:
I have a problem with USB loader gx. It loads up ok, and i lets me backup my games, (I backed up wii sports) but the problem is that when i try to launch a game (click on the disc) it just exits to the homebrew channel. Can anyone help?
You could switch to a loader that doesn't suck and see if that works.
tongue.gif
Try Configurable USB Loader, it doesn't output constant fail like GX.

FriendlyCreeper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JoostinOnline said:
FriendlyCreeper said:
tongue.gif
Can you give me the link please

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
FriendlyCreeper said:
JoostinOnline said:
FriendlyCreeper said:
tongue.gif
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=147638

The GUI has improved a lot since v39, so don't go by that video.

FriendlyCreeper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JoostinOnline said:
FriendlyCreeper said:
JoostinOnline said:
FriendlyCreeper said:
tongue.gif

I can't thank you enough for recomending it! It really works like a charm.Im going to buy a 100gb external HDD today so i can backup my games. Thank you so very much.

FriendlyCreeper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What kind of HDD is best for wii game backups (with USBloaderCfg)?
Is it better if its powerd by usb or by an external port?
Usb version 2.0 or 3.0?
Any specifications you recomend?

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
FriendlyCreeper said:
What kind of HDD is best for wii game backups (with USBloaderCfg)?
Is it better if its powerd by usb or by an external port?
Usb version 2.0 or 3.0?
Any specifications you recomend?
Make sure you get a compatible one from here:
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/USB_Devices_Compatibility_List
QUOTE(FriendlyCreeper @ Jul 4 2011, 09:51 AM) Also can USBloaderCfg rip and play GC games?
No loader will run GC games from your HDD because when the Wii enters GC mode, the USB slots are disabled.

vic_rattlehead

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Australia
JoostinOnline said:
FriendlyCreeper said:
JoostinOnline said:
FriendlyCreeper said:
tongue.gif

I'm going to check it out too, thanks. I've not been following the scene for a few months now and I haven't played my Wii in a while; just now, while trying to load my USB Loader GX, it says "Games: 0" (I've actually got 150GB worth) and the games won't load. Would you have any idea why?

I haven't updated (still on 4.1E) or anything and the HDD is working fine, so I don't understand what's wrong.

Btw, what cIOS are most people running on at the moment? Also, is it safe to update via Nintendo, or is there no point in doing so?

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
vic_rattlehead said:
I'm going to check it out too, thanks. I've not been following the scene for a few months now and I haven't played my Wii in a while; just now, while trying to load my USB Loader GX, it says "Games: 0" (I've actually got 150GB worth) and the games won't load. Would you have any idea why?I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was because of GX. Try Cfg and see if it works.

vic_rattlehead said:
I haven't updated (still on 4.1E) or anything and the HDD is working fine, so I don't understand what's wrong.4.1 is the optimum SM version, so it's good you haven't updated.

vic_rattlehead said:
Btw, what cIOS are most people running on at the moment?cIOS d2x v6 was recently released, and it is a huge deal for USB loading. The alt dol method is no longer necessary if you use those cIOS and the latest version of Cfg. That means games like Metroid Prime Trilogy can be played normally. Use ModMii to download 249[56] d2x v6 and 250[57] d2x v6 and install them with a wad manager. 249 should cover just about everything. Try 250 if it doesn't work.

QUOTE(vic_rattlehead @ Jul 4 2011, 04:52 PM) Also, is it safe to update via Nintendo, or is there no point in doing so?
It's not safe, and there is no point.

QUOTE(vic_rattlehead @ Jul 4 2011, 04:52 PM)
No problem.

Spongeroberto

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bhutan
vic_rattlehead said:
I'm going to check it out too, thanks. I've not been following the scene for a few months now and I haven't played my Wii in a while; just now, while trying to load my USB Loader GX, it says "Games: 0" (I've actually got 150GB worth) and the games won't load. Would you have any idea why?

I haven't updated (still on 4.1E) or anything and the HDD is working fine, so I don't understand what's wrong.
Odd... be sure to let us know if cfg loader has the same problem. How is your HDD set up? Since you say it's been a while I'd guess it's a single wbfs partition?

QUOTE(vic_rattlehead @ Jul 4 2011, 11:52 PM) Btw, what cIOS are most people running on at the moment? Also, is it safe to update via Nintendo, or is there no point in doing so?

cIOS: look for d2x rev21 (it's stickied in the hacking section) - it has amazing compatibility.

As for updating: no need. There isn't really anything beyond 4.1 except stuff that make it harder to softmod. 4.1 is pretty much the greatest version to be on.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ShinyLuxio @ ShinyLuxio:
    @BigOnYa thanks but my question isn't there
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You ask your questions there, create a new thread if its not already answered, then eventually a 3ds genius will respond.
  • ShinyLuxio @ ShinyLuxio:
    I will, thanks
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    No prob and btw, welcome to gbatemp! :grog:
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 I got some cheapies at wallys, that are pretty good, already have lost a few expensive ones (one falls out and gone, can't find) while cutting grass so bought some cheap ones, and of course never lose these cheap ones. (Cheap meaning only $35, compared to air buds which I only have 1 of 2 now)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They need to add air tags to they airbuds..
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @BigOnYa the airtags are bigger than the airpods, they won't fit
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Be cool tech tho. Of course they want to lose them anyways. Buy and buy again.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Apple could make a find my AirPods thing pretty easily
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You would think, esp using bluetooth, not GPS, like a "your getting hot-er" meter on your phone.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think they should tie up diddy, and let all the victims come and abuse him, we'll make a holiday of it every year. (jk, maybe)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm starting to sound like a Tck Gonna cut myself off.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's not 4th of July yet
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It is in India.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Wow, only $700?
  • SnowStormAkikaze @ SnowStormAkikaze:
    Hey :)
    If I book mark the topic where can I read them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Click on your profile pic in the top right corner, and you'll get the profile menu popup, with the profile icon highlighted at the top, and the "bookmarks" banner next to it in gray. Click on that icon and you'll get a list of your bookmarks.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Banners we don't need no stinking banners! Lol
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    [bans you for not taking a bath] :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Who bans the banners?
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I just did
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I just did