Hardware Non-permanent RRoD?

MisterTea

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Doesn't change the fact that according to MS who actually invented the system reballing is still a temp fix aimed a cheating children, which is why they replace the board.
Nothing wrong with a temp fix, if you're charging money for it. I fixed RRODs for my friends before, but I've always told them that its a temp fix.
We are back on the question I asked you : What are you using for your reflows ?

Also, Microsoft tech department has no time to waste on fixing dead mobos, most of the time the only reason you get a new mobo is because they don't want to waste time fixing your mobo (they don't even know if the mobo you bring them can be saved !!!).

What is wrong in wanting to have a good reputation ? Microsoft are not dumb, that's the only reason why they don't fix your mobo and send it back.

Probably some motherboards are fixed and sent back after further tests (to other customers)

Now, think about this and stop spreading your propaganda.

k ? ty.

EDIT : microsoft invented reballing ?

WAT ?

My friend, go do some googling about BGAs ...

Last edited by MisterTea,

KSP

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not spreading any prop, just how I feel about it.

If you're making a living off of it, fine, to each their own.

I'm done with this argument, didn't realize it would start a small nuclear war.
I got other shit to do, other debates to attend to on stuff that I actually care about.

Good luck with the OP on getting his system fixed, hope it works out for him for at least long enough to sell it.

CIAwesome526

Im ugly and im proud
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not spreading any prop, just how I feel about it.

If you're making a living off of it, fine, to each their own.

I'm done with this argument, didn't realize it would start a small nuclear war.
I got other shit to do, other debates to attend to on stuff that I actually care about.

Good luck with the OP on getting his system fixed, hope it works out for him for at least long enough to sell it.
Well... Umm... Thanks?

puss2puss

.. well ..
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
....For a living, my friend, for a living, what kind of a loser makes a living selling snakeoil to children, telling them that they can fix systems they can't fix. Wouldn't be able to live with myself.
Keep lying to children, and I'll keep calling you out on it.

The only noob here is a guy who insists on being to do something that even Microsoft can't do which is permanently fix an RROD.
damn you're stupid lol.. who said making a living out of this? You really think its impossible for someone to have 'skills' and experience in a domain without living out of it? Pathetic..

Oh and btw, yes its something microsoft was able to do, they changed the heatsinks and fan position to avoid the same overheating issues (wich by the way was a bit late since so many people already had the rrod badluck..but thats another subject..)

.... when some loser in their basement can supposedly perform magical feets that a billion dollar empire can't. You'd think if reballing was a viable fix, MS wouldn't be replacing boards.
Not only you're close minded, but you also make your own assumptions lol..
I dont know who you call ''a loser in his basement that can perform magical feet'', but personnally, i have my own house with a pretty good earning. Not sure why you suppose things just because you're pissed about your lack of knowledge..

Who the hell would be stupid enough to think you cant have experience in something other then your main job lol..

..now that you may see you're wrong you start calling people loosers and saying they make this as a living in their basement.. not the smartest folk, arnt you?
Its funny when someone with 0 experience in the subject (reballing) can call a guy with knowledge a liar for being able to do something you cant lol.. learn kid, before thinking everyone's at the same low level of knowledge then you..

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Doesn't change the fact that according to MS who actually invented the system reballing is still a temp fix
Its like saying "nintendo's console cant be hacked since nintendo themself say so!"..

Reactions: HaloEffect17

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The main hole in KSP's argument is that the mobo is permanently warped and thus can never be fixed, even by reballing.

In fact the overheating issues that plague early 360s are the cause of a temporary warping which fractures the solder balls between chip and board, the board will usually return to its correct shape as it cools (this is why many RROD 360s will work for a few minutes before crapping out), it is, after all, securely bolted to a supportive steel chassis. You can actually simulate this by resting a (scrap) board on an uneven surface and heating it (either in the oven or with a heat gun), away from its steel frame the board will visibly warp (I actually did this accidentally on the first PS3 I repaired, but it survived and works to this day).

This is the reason professional re-ballers have custom jigs that keep the board in its correct shape during the chip removal and re-installation.

As I said above, first time RRODs can often be fixed with some simple cooling mods and new thermal paste (that stuff does not last forever, and both the 360 and PS3 stock pastes are inclined to dry out losing much of their heat conductivity). Even just cutting a hole above the big heat sink will help, allowing more air to be pulled over the sink by the stock fans.

To give you an example of how simple overheating fixes can be (and to show I'm not making this stuff up), here's a couple of pictures of a PS3 I repaired a while back. These images show quite clearly the remarkably poor application of thermal paste to both Cell and RSX chips, one chip has only 75% coverage! Both chips have 100s of voids in the paste. This was an sealed, unopened Slim PS3 which was having stuttering and freezing issues, a good clean and a proper application of AS5 and it has run perfectly since.

IMG_0097_zpsrtbpawod.jpg

IMG_0098_zpsuqsdmuw9.jpg

FaTaL_ErRoR

AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy crap.. @ the OP I can't believe you didn't just pick up paste locally. Even places like radio shack have it in stock. Here we have fry's and they carry plenty.

And why on earth wouldn't it work? The most common problem with all consoles is heat. And most consoles shut down or rrod when they overheat.
If the RROD isn't permanent then you haven't burnt any chips.
The oven thing personally would have never thought of. In worst case I would have suggested a hair dryer. But hey heat is heat right??
I would also suggest using a small brush (toothbrush will work) and some rubbing alcohol to clean area on motherboard as well. Many times debris falls between pins and some debris is semi conductive. It only takes a little bit of cross communication to force failure on cpus.
You may not need any reflowing done at all. Also, if I was you I would do the fan mod as mentioned by someone else. (It may be noisy but will keep you cooler but hell my 2014 xbox fan runs all the time so it wouldn't be any louder than mine)
And if the console works you should be able to get 60-80 out of it unless it's able to jtag then price goes up.
I would sell it and not worry at all about it once you verify for about a week it runs without problems. refurbished consoles from gamestop range from 70-150 depending on hard drive size.
So if you have one with a rather large hard drive it should sell around 80-100.

Last edited by FaTaL_ErRoR,

CIAwesome526

Im ugly and im proud
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy crap.. @ the OP I can't believe you didn't just pick up paste locally. Even places like radio shack have it in stock. Here we have fry's and they carry plenty.

And why on earth wouldn't it work? The most common problem with all consoles is heat. And most consoles shut down or rrod when they overheat.
If the RROD isn't permanent then you haven't burnt any chips.
The oven thing personally would have never thought of. In worst case I would have suggested a hair dryer. But hey heat is heat right??
I would also suggest using a small brush (toothbrush will work) and some rubbing alcohol to clean area on motherboard as well. Many times debris falls between pins and some debris is semi conductive. It only takes a little bit of cross communication to force failure on cpus.
You may not need any reflowing done at all. Also, if I was you I would do the fan mod as mentioned by someone else. (It may be noisy but will keep you cooler but hell my 2014 xbox fan runs all the time so it wouldn't be any louder than mine)
And if the console works you should be able to get 60-80 out of it unless it's able to jtag then price goes up.
I would sell it and not worry at all about it once you verify for about a week it runs without problems. refurbished consoles from gamestop range from 70-150 depending on hard drive size.
So if you have one with a rather large hard drive it should sell around 80-100.
It's only a 20GB but it has cords. Also, this Xbox have the RRoD before the oven, and now it's giving me the overheating error. I can't get it locally because I checked multiple home depots, and none have it in stock, and there is only one radio shack here, and it doesn't carry it. That one almost would have gone out of business, but it rented an entire wall of the store to T-Mobile.
I have a video of the xbox after the oven (no thermal paste), And I think before (old thermal paste)

puss2puss

.. well ..
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It will be here by the time I get home today. What do I do? X-clamps or something?
Well, if you follow a tutorial about rrod fix, follow the section about replacing thermal paste.
..make sure the chips and the heatsinks are properly cleaned from old thermal paste, then put a dot of thermal paste on both chips (in the middle of the chip), the dot should be about the size of a grain of rice.
Then when you'il apply the heatsinks it will spread the paste by itself.

I suggest to not use the x clamps, so you need 8 screws from a specific size (i dont remember the exact size, but in tutos you will find the exact size of screws and washers), and you need 2 washers by screws, the washers goes between the board and the heatsinks..no washers under the board.

Then when you tighten the heatsinks, do not scrw them tight at first..screw each screws little by little, to avoid have a corner more tight then the others while the thermal paste get squeezed under the heatsinks.

And, like i said previously, it is possible that it wont work the first time (or ever lol), depending of the error(s) remaining (if any..) and if you didnt screw the heatsinks tight enough or too tight.. and if you didnt bake it enough or baked it too much!..
..... So keeping that in mind, do not mount the console completly yet, in case you need to untighten the screws a little or etc etc..

..oh and if you bought the cheapest paste..good luck with getting your fingers grey and shiny :P the cheap one are almost liquid/powdy... the good ones are less liquid, more creamy.

CIAwesome526

Im ugly and im proud
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
..oh and if you bought the cheapest paste..good luck with getting your fingers grey and shiny :P the cheap one are almost liquid/powdy... the good ones are less liquid, more creamy.
Arctic silver 5.
Well, if you follow a tutorial about rrod fix, follow the section about replacing thermal paste.
..make sure the chips and the heatsinks are properly cleaned from old thermal paste, then put a dot of thermal paste on both chips (in the middle of the chip), the dot should be about the size of a grain of rice.
Then when you'il apply the heatsinks it will spread the paste by itself.

I suggest to not use the x clamps, so you need 8 screws from a specific size (i dont remember the exact size, but in tutos you will find the exact size of screws and washers), and you need 2 washers by screws, the washers goes between the board and the heatsinks..no washers under the board.

Then when you tighten the heatsinks, do not scrw them tight at first..screw each screws little by little, to avoid have a corner more tight then the others while the thermal paste get squeezed under the heatsinks.

And, like i said previously, it is possible that it wont work the first time (or ever lol), depending of the error(s) remaining (if any..) and if you didnt screw the heatsinks tight enough or too tight.. and if you didnt bake it enough or baked it too much!..
..... So keeping that in mind, do not mount the console completly yet, in case you need to untighten the screws a little or etc etc..
So I shouldn't use the t8 again? And is there a specific type of washer I should use? Metal ones won't short out the board?

puss2puss

.. well ..
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
oh ok well, Arctic silver 5 is perfect!

and, what do you mean ''you shouldnt use the t8 again? i you mean for the xclamps, no, since its gonna be 'X' screws instead.

yes metal washers are ok, but make sure to get the right size (specified in tutos..)

CIAwesome526

Im ugly and im proud
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I followed a tutorial, I used screws and 2 mm washers, now it isn't giving me the overheating error. In fact it isn't giving me any error, because it won't turn on. When I hit the power button it just gives me a red light on the power brick.

puss2puss

.. well ..
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So know the power from the block dont reach the board..
Wasnt it working right after the baking, when you tried it without thermal paste?

Did you try to re-apply the xclamps? Maybe you caused a short by scratching off a circuit or a tiny piece on the board..

Also, make sur there are no thermal paste on circuits on the board.

And, did you try to unplug the block from the wall before re-plugging? When its plugged in the wall, but not in the console, what color is the light on the block?

CIAwesome526

Im ugly and im proud
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So know the power from the block dont reach the board..
Wasnt it working right after the baking, when you tried it without thermal paste?

Did you try to re-apply the xclamps? Maybe you caused a short by scratching off a circuit or a tiny piece on the board..

Also, make sur there are no thermal paste on circuits on the board.

And, did you try to unplug the block from the wall before re-plugging? When its plugged in the wall, but not in the console, what color is the light on the block?
It was working before I applied the thermal paste and washers.

I didn't try to reapply the x clamps, but I think I took them off after, which wasn't hard so I doubt I broke stuff.

I may have gotten some on there, I think I did... When I was moveing the tube of paste from the gpu to the cpu some may have fallen off. You also said metal washers would work, so I did, and if thermal paste would make a short, the washers probably would, too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: hello