Hardware Non-permanent RRoD?

CIAwesome526

Im ugly and im proud
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I got an Xbox 360 for $10 at a flea market a while ago. It worked but I didn't use it too much until more recently, which is when I started moving games between my xbox's hard drives. Today I powered it up and got a RRoD, I restarted it like 4 times and got it to work, I rebooted a couple of times to make sure it wouldnt RRoD. It stayed normal for a while, and I left it on to go get the hard drive for it up stairs to finish playing the bonus courses on portal: still alive, and when it started up it froze. I restarted it and I got the RRoD again, but it didn't take as many tries to start with t up again. Eventually, after I turned it off it stopped turning on until I restarted it 8 times, and it started working again. Is this going to get worst or better? And it happened right after I decided I wanted to sell it. :blink:

I forgot to say that the error it gives me when I get the RRoD is 0102.

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried towel-tricking it? Wrap it in completely towels, turn it on and let it run for 20 minutes, then unwrap and let cool for 20 minutes. It's a janky fix but sometimes it works. But yeah if it's one of those shit older models then just throw it away.

Reactions: HaloEffect17

puss2puss

.. well ..
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes it is going to get worse for sure.
The gpu cpu or ram solderings are overheating.. if you have proper equipment, open it, remove the thermal paste underneath the cpu and gpu's coil, then if you have a heat gun, reflow the chips (search google for something like rrod gpu reflow..) then re-apply thermal paste, and try it. If it doesnt work, do the same with the RAM chips.

If it works, open it again and boost the ventilation toward the gpu and cpu so it will last longer, if not, forever.
To do so, ypu can make kind of a bridge between the fan's socket toward the gpu coil, and youc an also nake the fans always run to maximum power, search for xbox360 fan 12v mod.

I have an okd zephyr jtag wich i bought rrod, and it never rrod again and get pretty good temperatures even after 4 years.. if everything is done correctly, stuff dont break again ;)

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Only keep Xenons/Zephyrs if their JTAGS, otherwise just chuck them away.
Worthless doorstops/portable heaters they are.

Don't waste money/effort on fixing them.
Unless you can reball them for 10 or 20 quid.

A good Falcon/Jasper is what, 60 quid these days?

loco365

Trophies
XP
Have you tried towel-tricking it? Wrap it in completely towels, turn it on and let it run for 20 minutes, then unwrap and let cool for 20 minutes. It's a janky fix but sometimes it works. But yeah if it's one of those shit older models then just throw it away.
I have one from late 2006 that I was considering doing this to, but how safe is it, exactly? I don't want to be damaging any components, but I really would like to have an Xbox with a functioning disc drive.

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
I have one from late 2006 that I was considering doing this to, but how safe is it, exactly? I don't want to be damaging any components, but I really would like to have an Xbox with a functioning disc drive.
It's not safe. But, if your Xbox has an RROD in the first place, the parts aren't in good shape. Really there's nothing short of the system catching on fire (do be careful about that) that could happen to make the system in worse condition than it is. Basically it's just heating up the internals to the point where the GPU melts back onto the mainboard.

puss2puss

.. well ..
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
But the guy already have one, so of course its worth a little time and effort to fix it! And thermal paste is 6-12$.
And beside, if fixed correctly, and better airflow, it can last for atleast 8months.. so why not?
...and most of all, you'il get some leanring put of it.. i say go for it!

CIAwesome526

Im ugly and im proud
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I already spent more money then I want on it... So I am not going to be buying those security bits for it and all that. It seems to be getting better so I am going to see how that goes. If it gets worse again I might as well towel trick it and keep it for another week, if it survives a week without a red ring I may try to sell it, if not I'll sell for parts or repair, which will yield more than i paid (and I want a profit, that's why I'm not buying those security bits and fans and paste). I guess I have nothing to lose. What are the chances of it catching fire?

puss2puss

.. well ..
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well I already spent more money then I want on it... So I am not going to be buying those security bits for it and all that. It seems to be getting better so I am going to see how that goes. If it gets worse again I might as well towel trick it and keep it for another week, if it survives a week without a red ring I may try to sell it, if not I'll sell for parts or repair, which will yield more than i paid (and I want a profit, that's why I'm not buying those security bits and fans and paste). I guess I have nothing to lose. What are the chances of it catching fire?
Security bits? You misunderstood.. no need to buy a fan, its a mod you can make with the fan thats already in it, you just have to add or split a wire ;)

As for the towel trick, it cannot catch on fire lol..if its to hot it will rrod again or burn the chip, but you wont see fire.

Make sure theres no dust behind the console, i bought lots of xbox that rrod only because there wasnt a good airflow.

The towel trick is to make it overheat more longer, to the point that the solders bend a little so there's contact again, but it will aslo overheat the rest of the component wich is obviously bad..it will damage it more, its good only of you want to play a couple of hours/days (if you're lucky) more.

CIAwesome526

Im ugly and im proud
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Security bits? You misunderstood.. no need to buy a fan, its a mod you can make with the fan thats already in it, you just have to add or split a wire ;)

As for the towel trick, it cannot catch on fire lol..if its to hot it will rrod again or burn the chip, but you wont see fire.

Make sure theres no dust behind the console, i bought lots of xbox that rrod only because there wasnt a good airflow.

The towel trick is to make it overheat more longer, to the point that the solders bend a little so there's contact again, but it will aslo overheat the rest of the component wich is obviously bad..it will damage it more, its good only of you want to play a couple of hours/days (if you're lucky) more.
But it makes contact, since it turns on sometimes, right? Is it just mad at me? I'm going to try to ask it nicely.

Edit: okay I asked it nicely and it turned on, but it froze before it could even finish booting and gave me a general hardware failure. I think i made it worse. I'm going to appolagize now.

Reactions: puss2puss

puss2puss

.. well ..
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
But it makes contact, since it turns on sometimes, right? Is it just mad at me? I'm going to try to ask it nicely.

Edit: okay I asked it nicely and it turned on, but it froze before it could even finish booting and gave me a general hardware failure. I think i made it worse. I'm going to appolagize now.
Well, it makes contact but not at 100%, this why it can sometime work and sometime not..
Honestly, i think its totally worth the effort of oppening it and mod the fan. And while its open, remove all dust.. it does make a big difference when its clean..

CIAwesome526

Im ugly and im proud
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it makes contact but not at 100%, this why it can sometime work and sometime not..
Honestly, i think its totally worth the effort of oppening it and mod the fan. And while its open, remove all dust.. it does make a big difference when its clean..
And you need no security bits to open it?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Back shell is all plastic, top shell is screwed on to the chassis with TX 15 screwdrivers.
I thought TX 10 was to unscrew the mainboard from the chassis.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over