Hardware Non-permanent RRoD?

CIAwesome526

Im ugly and im proud
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not going to quote specific parts of posts, but I think @Foxi4 thinks I'm a much bigger jerk than I actually am. Of course I'd mention it had the RRoD and was repaired by me. I've bought Xbox with this board twice, once from Microsoft, and that one broke, why would they be any better than me? They never told me it would break.

People sell xboxs with this board for $80 without cords and hard drives, this one comes with all cords, and a hard drive, why would theirs be more reliable than mine, if theirs hasn't broken yet, it will eventually.

Anyway. I didn't get to test it yet, I'm getting some thermal paste tommorrow.

I have no clue what to sell it for (if it ends up working, if it doesn't I will scrap it the DVD drive, hard drive, and cords all work), any siggestions?

puss2puss

.. well ..
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For the thermal paste, not sure if it changes something for you for the price..but the worse one to take is the one who's to much liquid and staining.. its the cheaper.. for a couple extra bux you can get one that will be great to last long.

As for the price, well it depends, maybe between 50$ - 80$ depending of wich version it is and the hard drive etc.... is it an hdmi version?
Also, you could easyly flash the drive if you want.. and to make sure it last for a while you could mod the fan, to always make it run at full speed.. either by giving it 12v from the drive, or by splitting the wire in the sensor port.. search for 'xbox360 12v fan mod' . Ans also, put a piece of cardboard (use the thin one) and tape on the gpu's heatsink ans the white plastic fan's tunnel, so the airflow will be better.

And also, i guess it is, but is it update? ich kernal version is the dashboard? Because maybe you can jtag it so you can see the temperatures for the ram, the cpu and gpu..wich is a great way to know if its well repaired :P

CIAwesome526

Im ugly and im proud
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the thermal paste, not sure if it changes something for you for the price..but the worse one to take is the one who's to much liquid and staining.. its the cheaper.. for a couple extra bux you can get one that will be great to last long.

As for the price, well it depends, maybe between 50$ - 80$ depending of wich version it is and the hard drive etc.... is it an hdmi version?
Also, you could easyly flash the drive if you want.. and to make sure it last for a while you could mod the fan, to always make it run at full speed.. either by giving it 12v from the drive, or by splitting the wire in the sensor port.. search for 'xbox360 12v fan mod' . Ans also, put a piece of cardboard (use the thin one) and tape on the gpu's heatsink ans the white plastic fan's tunnel, so the airflow will be better.

And also, i guess it is, but is it update? ich kernal version is the dashboard? Because maybe you can jtag it so you can see the temperatures for the ram, the cpu and gpu..wich is a great way to know if its well repaired :P
the dashboard is so old, like... it doesn't have advertisements.

maxresdefault.jpg

it looks like this one

Last edited by CIAwesome526,

puss2puss

.. well ..
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
the dashboard is so old, like... it doesn't have advertisements.

maxresdefault.jpg

it looks like this one
Cool..if you're lucky you may have a jtaggable console! Wich mean you can hack it without a chip, only some solders :)

To see the exact kernal version, go to the settings, get to the bottom line or system or something (been a while the last time i checked ths settings..) and it will display the version..

EDIT : oups i forgot your console is not reassembled yet.. well.. when it is, make sure to check to make sure you dont update it if it is exploitable :P

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm not going to quote specific parts of posts, but I think @Foxi4 thinks I'm a much bigger jerk than I actually am. Of course I'd mention it had the RRoD and was repaired by me. I've bought Xbox with this board twice, once from Microsoft, and that one broke, why would they be any better than me? They never told me it would break.

People sell xboxs with this board for $80 without cords and hard drives, this one comes with all cords, and a hard drive, why would theirs be more reliable than mine, if theirs hasn't broken yet, it will eventually.

Anyway. I didn't get to test it yet, I'm getting some thermal paste tommorrow.

I have no clue what to sell it for (if it ends up working, if it doesn't I will scrap it the DVD drive, hard drive, and cords all work), any siggestions?
Fair enough, as long as you outline that the console had issues that were fixed - that way you'll be honest. The DVD drive won't do you any good as a spare since they're key-protected AFAIK, you'd have to flash it in order to put it in another system.
foxi, tottally agree..its a dickmove unless you keep it for your own gaming, or atleast tell the buyer about the history of this console's rrod and sell it for only 40$.

As for the oven, of course you need to cover it carefully if you dont want to burn other components on the board, why the hell would you only use flux? The rest of the board will be vulnerable..unless you meant completly dipping the board in a flux bath :P
...and beside, if stuff catch in fire its because its not properly made! Someone who makes it catch on fire will probably be the kind of guy who cant cook a chicken without burning it :P

Anyway, the point here, is that the guy bought it for 10$ and doesnt have a reballing station, so baking it properly can ''depanne'' for what its worth.
Those motherboards ate actually "baked" in the factory and unfluxed solder shouldn't melt, but I suppose you're better safe than sorry.

Reactions: HaloEffect17

puss2puss

.. well ..
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
so if i jtag it, would i be able to sell it for higher? :P
Well it depends on how is the console.. i mean..if the temps are extremely high, even if jtagged, people might not be interrested in paying more.. but if the temps are great, of course you can sell it for a higher price :P ..and of course some people will say the opposite but hey, it seems that most people on GBAtemps loves being negative for no real reason..but yes its worth more if its jtaggable..

The DVD drive won't do you any good as a spare since they're key-protected AFAIK, you'd have to flash it in order to put it in another system.
Ah c'mon friend, stop being so negative :P how can you say it wont give any good, when there's actually people who buys spare drive, yes you need to flash it but still, people buys them ;)

Those motherboards ate actually "baked" in the factory and unfluxed solder shouldn't melt..
To tell you the truth..yes they will melt (perhaps melt isnt the right word..) if baked for to long, and even when they are baked in factory, they become soft for an instence.. but the real problem here, is overheating the capacitors..thus why i explained reasons to rap it in layers :P

Reactions: HaloEffect17

CIAwesome526

Im ugly and im proud
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well it depends on how is the console.. i mean..if the temps are extremely high, even if jtagged, people might not be interrested in paying more.. but if the temps are great, of course you can sell it for a higher price :P ..and of course some people will say the opposite but hey, it seems that most people on GBAtemps loves being negative for no real reason..but yes its worth more if its jtaggable..

Ah c'mon friend, stop being so negative :P how can you say it wont give any good, when there's actually people who buys spare drive, yes you need to flash it but still, people buys them ;)

To tell you the truth..yes they will melt (perhaps melt isnt the right word..) if baked for to long, and even when they are baked in factory, they become soft for an instence.. but the real problem here, is overheating the capacitors..thus why i explained reasons to rap it in layers :P
Well I really appreciate your help. I still need to get that thermal paste, and I'll see how my repair went. I will report back tomorrow.

puss2puss

.. well ..
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well honestly.. i would try again untill its fixed.. but only if you feel that the first time it didnt really ''baked'' enough.. or else its possible that it will be too much, untill it reach a point of no-returns..

You'il know when you'il test it, by seeing the error code.. if its the same code then before, its possible that the solders didnt heat enough.. if its a different code, its possible that there's another problem somewhere on the board.. for exemple, when removing the x-clamp, if you accidently broke a small circuit, it will give another code wich wont be fixed even after 10 reflows..if you didnt broke anything in it, there shouldnt be another error code since it was partially working before..

But, if it was me, i would wait and test it, then if it gives another error code i would fix it depending on the error code, untill there's no more errors.. but if it rrods again when you try it, dont immediatly bake it again, because if the issue is elsewhere you might cause more damage by heating it again if the issue isnt solder related..

Then, if after all you're not able to fix it at all, i guess you could sell the whole thing for pieces.. but if you have a big hdd you might get more money by selling it separatly..most of the consoles i bought broken, had a hdd that was worth more then the broken console itself..

Seeing that your xbox was partially working before you baked it, there shouldnt be other issues if you've done it correctly.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I would say so, unless you want to keep spares. Sorry for misjudging you, I just saw this story play out before. Good luck with your repairs!

PS: Be patient with the paste, apply a pea-sized globule, spread it with a credit card, apply the radiator, wiggle it, secure it and leave it for a few hours, then run the system for a few hours to "bake it". Don't allow any dust, grease or air bubbles, clean the surfaces thoroughly with alcohol and a wipe before applying paste and allow it to dry.

CIAwesome526

Im ugly and im proud
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would say so, unless you want to keep spares. Sorry for misjudging you, I just saw this story play out before. Good luck with your repairs!

PS: Be patient with the paste, apply a pea-sized globule, spread it with a credit card, apply the radiator, wiggle it, secure it and leave it for a few hours, then run the system for a few hours to "bake it". Don't allow any dust, grease or air bubbles, clean the surfaces thoroughly with alcohol and a wipe before applying paste and allow it to dry.
Thank you. I'll post back once I'm done.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Seeing it's a Xenon/Zephyr, the only good components would be the GPU heatsink (if it's a Zephyr) CPU heatsink is shitty as it collects dust more then the Falcon style ones.
DVD drive is pretty much only usable for people with the same type of console, or if it's a Benq, you could flash a 0800 firmware to it.
Shell you could give a nice paintjob and sell it, the rest, just rubbish.

I highly doubt you can JTAG that console, if it's lower then 7371 then you can.
I really would get it reballed then, ups the value and lasts longer.

Towel tricking is bad, baking it is bad.
It just destroys the 360 more then you attempt to fix it.
Then again, you won't listen to me advice anyway.

puss2puss

.. well ..
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I highly doubt you can JTAG that console, if it's lower then 7371 then you can.
How can you doubt if you dont know the story of his console :P i mean, if the console was rrod for a long time, there are high chances!..that being said, non-updated consoles are rare indeed.. the first jtaggable xbox i found was after about 17-18 rrod consoles :P

Towel tricking is bad, baking it is bad.
It just destroys the 360 more then you attempt to fix it.
Well, to be fair, he bought if for only 10$, and it was the ONLY method to fix it in his situation (no reballing station and no heatgun..), and the towel trick, well, like you said its bad..i dont even understand why some people are still suggesting, in 2015, to do the towel trick...might aswell keave the console under a car hood taped on the engine XD

..so it was either that, or leaving it in the dust for an eternal solitude dead in a closet :P

Personnaly, i think he've done the right choice to try fixing it himself, people tend to say its not worth or throw it away etc.. but if everyone would think like this, no one would learn ;)

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
How can you doubt if you dont know the story of his console :P i mean, if the console was rrod for a long time, there are high chances!..that being said, non-updated consoles are rare indeed.. the first jtaggable xbox i found was after about 17-18 rrod consoles :P

Well, to be fair, he bought if for only 10$, and it was the ONLY method to fix it in his situation (no reballing station and no heatgun..), and the towel trick, well, like you said its bad..i dont even understand why some people are still suggesting, in 2015, to do the towel trick...might aswell keave the console under a car hood taped on the engine XD

..so it was either that, or leaving it in the dust for an eternal solitude dead in a closet :P

Personnaly, i think he've done the right choice to try fixing it himself, people tend to say its not worth or throw it away etc.. but if everyone would think like this, no one would learn ;)

Blades dash is a 100% sure way to know if it can get JTAGged.
NXE already reduces the chances (only 2 NXE dashes are vulnerable)

Well, you did suggest towel tricking it.
I die a little inside every time people treat electronics badly.

puss2puss

.. well ..
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, you did suggest towel tricking it.

Lol no i didnt! I would never suggest someone to do this silly method, if i talked about it, it was if someone already suggested it and i most have said that its his choice if he wanna makes this trick or something, but i've always been opposed to this method.. re'read my posts you silly fag! :P
..only reason i forgive you..is because of hiro..its always because of hiro! :wub:

puss2puss

.. well ..
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm getting blind.
Or the shit that happened these past 5 weeks are paying a toll on me.
Never mind what I said then ;p

Hiro is <З
Yah hiro's saving your butt allllll the time :P
..its just that its kinda funny (insulting..perhaps lol..) to tell me i would suggest the towel trick since i ALWAYS hate when people does it. Its the same as if you would put your xbox under a car's hood just to make it overheat more..its barbary lol..

..damn i just noticed your sig's hello kitty's doing the middle finger loll.. feels..weird.. :moogle:

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hiro also does something else to me bum all the time :tpi:
Yeh, it's the shit I gone through that completely overtaken me heh.
N nah, HK is putting up her thumb, looks like her middle finger indeed.

Exactly, I mean, why not set it on fire then?
I know plenty of people who spend ages and idk how many money on RROD fixes and towel tricks and reflows.
Always said I was stupid for saying they should reball it, when in the end, they either bought a new 360 or got it reballed ;')

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: @SylverReZ, Oh yeah, arguably doing better than ever. They're releasing new sets constantly for it +1