Hardware No mp3 playback, dlna streaming, or CD playing on PS4

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least not anytime soon. I suppose if people complain enough they could issue an update to enable such things.

Lame.

Still would rather have PS4 than Xbone, though.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
CD playing could well be a technical thing (dual purpose diodes perhaps not being the cheapest or most yieldy). DNLA, despite it being a joke of a standard, and a lack of MP3 does strike me as odd though.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
CD playing could well be a technical thing (dual purpose diodes perhaps not being the cheapest or most yieldy). DNLA, despite it being a joke of a standard, and a lack of MP3 does strike me as odd though.

Indeed it is odd in the case of DNLA. Sony was the one that established it in the first place back in 2003.

Zombie_X

Trophies
Website
www.zombie-x.com
XP
Country
United States
I have a 1TB hDD hooked up to my PS3 and have my entire music collection on there (70GB of it). I was planning on hooking it up to the PS4 but now I am disappointed. I play CD's on my PS3 as well and now that CD's aren't supported. man I am pissed.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
this will open a flood gate for modders (aka hackers).....

didn't sony learned to don't remove features, like when they removed linux from the ps3?

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's sad because Vita supports both of these features anf supports custom soundtracks. Luckily, Yoshida is talking to the PS4 devs.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Wow... people still use CD's?

The lack of MP3 support is quite a bummer, but I'm sure it will be implemented somewhere down the line. This move was made specifically to increase the interest in Music Unlimited which does work, but the problem here is that the service isn't available world-wide, so there'll be a wave of critique heading their way no doubt.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The one thing I liked that the 360 could do that the PS3 couldn't do was play your .mp3s while playing games. This was especially missed in GTA 5, where I like in the PC versions to use the mp3 station while driving, the 360 essentially allows you to do this. Sad to see the PS4 wont even have this feature.

As for CDs, not gonna miss that, only time I use CDs are when I drive in my car that doesn't have an mp3 aux cord or bluetooth but does have a cd player.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Sad to see the PS4 wont even have this feature.

I don't think it's fair to assume that right off the bat - it won't have it at launch and we'll see how the situation develops. While the CD aspect is probably a technical issue with the drive, MP3 and/or other music formats support can be added later on which is why we as users should be vocal about including those features, especially since Music Unlimited appears to be working perfectly fine.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NO MP3 means NO MP3 or NO AUDIO TRACKS AT ALL?

Yes. All games will be completely mute. The PS4 experience is playing games in deafeningly awkward silence.

So yeah, this sucks. I mean, the CD bit is understandable, the DVD/BR playback is the important bit. Not letting people play MP3s and cutting the PS3's media features? Yeah, straight up bullshit. Seems like Sony is just trying to push their music service. Literally worse than the mafia, Hitler, the country of Spain, Stalin, and "fun" size candy bars combined.

I really hope they patch the features in sooner rather than later (or not at all). I'd hate to see Sony ring phony.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
The lack of DLNA is bullshit, IMO. Streaming media with a third party app on my PC all the way across the house was my main draw for picking up a PS3 after my 360 died. Right now my PS3 is the only media streamer I own, and it looks like I'll be keeping it since Sony thought it was such a good idea to scrap it for the Ps4.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The lack of DNLA is bullshit, IMO. Streaming media with a third party app on my PC all the way across the house was my main draw for picking up a PS3 after my 360 died. Right now my PS3 is the only media streamer I own, and it looks like I'll be keeping it since Sony thought it was such a good idea to scrap it for the Ps4.

There's really no reason to get rid of your PS3 anyways due to a lack of backwards compatibility. ;)

Reactions: nukeboy95

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-