Hardware No mp3 playback, dlna streaming, or CD playing on PS4

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have no fear I am sure in one of the weekly or bi weekly updates that will take an hour to do... *MP3 playback will be added!

*Only MP3's purchased from Sony's online store**, and only on the account that purchased the PS4.

**MP3's will self destruct after 24 hours requiring repurchase at a reduced cost of only 95% the original cost.

I am kidding, but I am sure Sony will add MP3 playback at some point in the future, if not that then what ever custom standard they pick. Not sure about the DRM store part of my joke... that part might turn out to be true, if so than I do apologize in advance because it would only funny if it turned out not to be true.

Edit: I vote for Sony to bring back Atrac... lol

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Somewhat amusingly they probably have -- their games often use a format called AT3 and minor variations on the theme.

I wouldn't be surprised, they developed it and its works pretty good some people say it was better than MP3 but to be honest I couldn't tell the difference as long as you used a good enough bit rate on both. I can't say anything about file size since I know so little about Atrac....

My entire experience with Atrac was that some one gave my daughter a brand new Sony Atrac something something, if I am remembering correctly you plugged it into your PC via USB and loaded the CD with the custom software and then you would put your CD's in the drive and it would convert and load them on to the re-writable disks in the Atrac player. It was a nice gift and all but my daughter was of the mind "Instead of putting some of my CD's on this thing why don't I just play CD's in my walkman or my boombox..." long story short, we returned it and wow talk about sticker shock.... I think it was like 200 or 300 dollars for that thing lol

As for using it on games? from what I did read about it, it seems like it was more efficient in the way it used a CPU VS mp3 so in that aspect I am sure it has an advantage.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cutting media features might keep costs down on licensing or software development, but it's going to cost them in sales as well. If your system can't do everything that $50-$100 media box can and more, people are going to pick that $50-100 box 9 times out of 10. So what if it doesn't play more than Angry Birds? It plays games, and it plays media, and that's what they're looking for. It's the age of the media streaming box, and that's the market Sony and Microsoft need to be targeting.

Reactions: Qtis

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
People are being stupid about this. They are doing this for the same reason that the Wii U doesn't support MP3 playback (except in vWii mode) or CD/DVD/BD playback. To keep the costs down. They save on hardware and patents.

Sony owns the patents to DNLA. It would cost them almost nothing to implement this in the PS4.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://couchjockeyz.com/mp3-support-dlna-and-more-features-to-follow-on-2nd-ps4-update/

We were able to speak to a Sony rep today about if any of these features could be implemented in the near future and much to our surprise we have received a “Yes“. The future update that is in process to be rolled out shortly after the PS4′s launch(November 15th) will include the following detailed features listed below:
  • Legacy headset support
  • Mp3 support for not only in-game but non gaming as well.
  • Suspend and resume play feature
All of these features are set to hit PS4′s consoles by late 2013- to early 2014.

xGg05ch.gif

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People are being stupid about this. They are doing this for the same reason that the Wii U doesn't support MP3 playback (except in vWii mode) or CD/DVD/BD playback. To keep the costs down. They save on hardware and patents.

I thought the vWii mode used AAC instead of MP3 (unless it was changed back)...? Even the 3DS supports MP3 files, though the lack MP3 support on the PS4 is baffling, as it should be a matter of writing a program that has playback. And I'm surprised people still use CDs. I understand the CDs don't work possibly for hardware reasons, but MP3 should be a non-issue.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I thought the vWii mode used AAC instead of MP3 (unless it was changed back)...? Even the 3DS supports MP3 files, though the lack MP3 support on the PS4 is baffling, as it should be a matter of writing a program that has playback. And I'm surprised people still use CDs. I understand the CDs don't work possibly for hardware reasons, but MP3 should be a non-issue.
vWii doesn't even have Photo Channel to begin with.

AAC IS supposed to replace MP3. it is superior to MP3 in every aspect. Now if Sony doesn't support both AAC and MP3 that'll be a problem but if it have support of AAC this shouldn't be a problem.

It is strange there is no DLNA, considering Sony is a big proponent of it. My guess is that Sony wants to relegate media streaming to Vita TV instead.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
vWii doesn't even have Photo Channel to begin with.

AAC IS supposed to replace MP3. it is superior to MP3 in every aspect. Now if Sony doesn't support both AAC and MP3 that'll be a problem but if it have support of AAC this shouldn't be a problem.

It is strange there is no DLNA, considering Sony is a big proponent of it. My guess is that Sony wants to relegate media streaming to Vita TV instead.

What's the point of AAC though, how is it better? I'm very curious actually.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What's the point of AAC though, how is it better? I'm very curious actually.
AAC and MP3 are a form of lossy audio compression. Meaning they compress raw audio into very small file. To be able to compress into small file they have to sacrifice audio quality, hence lossy (quality lost forever).

Therefore to determine which one is better you have to compare the audio quality. Assuming you are not using expensive audiophile equipment, AAC-LC at 128 kb/s will have same audio quality of MP3 at 160 kb/s. This means I can compress AAC even smaller while retaining the same level of audio quality. Before AAC most people will rip audio CD into MP3 at 320 kb/s. Now with AAC I can rip it to AAC-LC 256 kb/s and have "near-CD" audio quality as MP3 at 320 kb/s.

AAC also have the advantage of extremely small file/bitrate. AAC-HE at 64 kb/s will sound so much better than MP3 at 64 kb/s. This makes AAC very ideal for some audio streaming.

MP3 will sound crappy once bitrate is below 160 kb/s (192 kb/s if you use audiophille equipment), while AAC-LC is 128 kb/s. Below that you can switch to AAC-HE instead.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AAC and MP3 are a form of lossy audio compression. Meaning they compress raw audio into very small file. To be able to compress into small file they have to sacrifice audio quality, hence lossy (audio lost forever).

Therefore to determine which one is better you have to compare audio quality. Assuming you are not using expensive audiophile equipment, AAC-LC at 128 kb/s will have same audio quality of MP3 at 160 kb/s. This means I can compress AAC even smaller while retaining the same level of audio quality. Before AAC most people will rip audio CD into MP3 at 320 kb/s. Now with AAC I can rip it to AAC-LC 256 kb/s and have "near-CD" audio quality as MP3 at 320 kb/s.

AAC also have the advantage of extremely small file. AAC-HE at 64 kb/s will sound so much better than MP3 at 64 kb/s. This makes AAC very ideal for audio streaming.

MP3 will sound crappy once bitrate is below 160 kb/s (192 kb/s if you use audiophille equipment), while AAC-LC is 128 kb/s. Below that you can switch to AAC-HE instead.

Ah, makes sense. I've heard MP3's below 128 kbps and they sound like crap to me. I'll keep that in mind about AAC :P Too bad the Wii U can't play those files.

Theconejo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The lack of DLNA is bullshit, IMO. Streaming media with a third party app on my PC all the way across the house was my main draw for picking up a PS3 after my 360 died. Right now my PS3 is the only media streamer I own, and it looks like I'll be keeping it since Sony thought it was such a good idea to scrap it for the Ps4.
Same here with the streaming, which is honestly the most used part of the ps3 for me. 2 kids hasn't been giving me much time to play and with my wife wanting to watch some tv to wind down it doesn't help my gaming either(my wiiU is getting play though!)

Any thoughts on sony being assholes and patching this out of the ps3 down the road also?

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 1TB hDD hooked up to my PS3 and have my entire music collection on there (70GB of it). I was planning on hooking it up to the PS4 but now I am disappointed. I play CD's on my PS3 as well and now that CD's aren't supported. man I am pissed.
That's another thing. PS4 doesn't support external hard drives either.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well that's just stupid. The CD's and MP3's were fine, but no external HDD? What's the point of those USB3.0 ports then? I don't see any mics requiring 3.0.
False, the PS4 does support external hard drives just like the PS3 does. Exactly like the PS3 does, in the sense that you can store multimedia on them, however you cannot install games to them - that's what the upgradable internal hard drive is for.

Nevermind, the Ultimate F.A.Q seems to state otherwise, despite initial information that you can store media on external drives. Sony seems to change their mind a whole lot lately. :rofl:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    hazbeans @ hazbeans: im new