Gaming No Man's Sky Lag/Stuttering

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently purchased No Man's Sky for PC and installed it today. I am experiencing some lag/stuttering. I thought I met the minimum requirements. My laptop has the following specs:

- Windows 10 64 bit
- 8GB System RAM
- intel Core i7 Processor
- 2 Nvidia GTX 870Ms with 6GB each in SLI mode.

I read on other sites that the game requires 4.5 OpenGL? I checked DXdiag and my laptop/graphics cards do support OpenGL 4.5. Not sure what else to do and how to proceed. Thoughts and help GREATLY appreciated :)

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its a really bad port, you are not alone (read steam reviews)
devs are saying they are working on fixing it

Vanth88

Private
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should return it until they fix the problems, as you can see from the Steam reviews the port is seriously bugged (arkham knight levels of bad).

Whoa now... it's not THAT bad. The main issues are the fact the game requires a GPU with OpenGL 4.5 support, and a CPU that supports SSE4.1 and they confirmed they're working on fixing the SSE4.1 crash. They also plan on fixing the other issues but they recommend everyone update to the latest drivers in the mean time (AMD just released a new driver for ex.) however if your GPU doesn't support 4.5 you're shit outta luck.

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Laptop Nvidia GPUs do support OpenGL 4.5 I believe (It said in "System Information" in Help Menu in Steam). Just wonder why I am experiencing lag/stutter. Been looking all over internet tonight for help/info: Went to Nvidia GeForce Forums, google, etc...

Vanth88

Private
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Laptop Nvidia GPUs do support OpenGL 4.5 I believe (It said in "System Information" in Help Menu in Steam). Just wonder why I am experiencing lag/stutter. Been looking all over internet tonight for help/info: Went to Nvidia GeForce Forums, google, etc...

Hello Games recently posted on steam stating they're aware of all the issues people are experiencing and they'll be releasing a fix in a new experimental branch:

We are going to create an experimental branch with hot fixes for these most common known issues:
Shader Cache issue – means that framerate is initially stuttering on some cards. Whilst it resolves itself over time (~1 hour of play), we will fix this issue in a patch.
• SSE 4 – for CPUs that do not support SSE 4, it is causing the game to crash on boot (some of these area technically below min spec, but we don’t want it to crash!)
• Mouse controls jitter on foot – this caused by a combination of certain resolution and GFX card. A fix is in progress.

You can read more here: http://steamcommunity.com/games/275850/announcements/detail/812158047918689921

There's no telling if it'll fix the stuttering you're experiencing though but at least they're aware of it. We'll all have to wait for the newest patch though which hopefully comes out soon because I'm one of those people who has a CPU that doesn't support SSE4.1 (game crashes at start) so I can't even play the game :(

Last edited by Vanth88,

Finn_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems like a lot of games have a rocky start on PC. I remember having a lot of trouble running Mortal Kombat X during week one, but past that it was fine. I assume that a lot of the problems with the framerate will become somewhat less severe within the next month.

Reactions: Deleted User

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I'm suppose I'm one of the lucky ones who has had a relatively playable experience with the game. Framerates drops, sure, but it never falls below a playable framerate for me on high settings (using an i7 4690K and GTX 980 Ti).

For the OP, does anybody know if the game is able to use SLI graphics, or if it's locked down to the first GPU?
Edit: just looking at the steam forums, seems it's the latter - no SLI support until a driver update supports it, and even then it's likely only to be a minimal improvement unless the devs optimise it for SLI (and considering the lack of optimisation so far, it has a long way to go).

Last edited by Originality,
Reactions: Finn_

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Not a lot, just relaxing