Hacking Nintendont

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The FatFS code we're using supports FAT12, FAT16, FAT32, and as of R0.12, optionally exFAT. It's a compile-time option, and it won't affect FAT12/16/32 devices if enabled.

Bonus option: Try running a really tiny GameCube game (homebrew packed into a GCM image?) from a USB floppy drive. (FAT12)

EDIT: I found the code I was working on to add "proper" multiple drive support to the kernel using device numbers, but I don't think I'll be merging it. When running a basic test in Melee, it added random 5-10s lag bursts when doing simple things like navigating the menus. I have no idea why. (This code isn't actually needed anyway, so there's no point in merging it if it causes random lag bursts.)

Last edited by GerbilSoft,

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
I got notified here (I didn't read that thread for a long time) and see exFAT is supported now?
Don't sweat it, Cyan, we know you are a busy man, I can fill you in with the major updates if you want ;)

I hope USB Loader GX gets exFat support too in the future, I still hold up for a cache support too to helps speed things up, as for moving it to the Wii section I think it's not necessary because a lot of people are used to finding it here but it doesn't bother me either way, btw I'll send you PM regarding something a bit different, you may know how to help me with it.

I don't see why it would. This update adds support for another file system alongside FAT32. The more the merrier, right?
I get that but Fix94's post about it taking long to load the games list and how he used a cache system instead to overcome this issue kinda worried me, maybe I should hold on updates for a while, see how things float with others first, Nintendont works quite great for me as it is and aside from slot B support (which I can still access using my official MCs) I couldn't ask for anything more but I'm a gamer who mostly plays classics and retro games and Nintendont is one of my most used apps on the console so I think it's best for me if I wait a little longer on the next updates.

Brand Newman

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
Hello everyone. Sorry to bring back the subject, but do any of you encounter random audio statics that lead your game to freeze after a few seconds using Nintendont? I keep on having them, and it is really a shame, considering how great the software is.

Somebody here suggested a few months ago that I get a new hard drive, which I did : it somehow seemed to happen less, but I guess it was just an impression... Sometimes I can play for an hour before it happens, sometimes it occurs just after 5 minutes of game.

I tried to deactivate as much things as I could, and didn't force anything as you can see in the picture below : I reduced the size of the savegame (I'm using memcard emulation, even if I have a real memory card, since I don't want to screw my saves), put everything on auto, etc...

I don't know if it's important, but I have a vertical wii and a real gamecube controller, which I believe should make Nintendont even more compatible (or not?)

Anyway, I'm running out of ideas, and it would be too bad to have to come back to discs (which I fortunately still own), just because of that bug. So, I would really appreciate if any of you had a suggestion, and thank you in advance for your answers.

Greetings.

IMG_20160526_201339.jpg

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone. Sorry to bring back the subject, but do any of you encounter random audio statics that lead your game to freeze after a few seconds using Nintendont? I keep on having them, and it is really a shame, considering how great the software is.

Somebody here suggested a few months ago that I get a new hard drive, which I did : it somehow seemed to happen less, but I guess it was just an impression... Sometimes I can play for an hour before it happens, sometimes it occurs just after 5 minutes of game.

I tried to deactivate as much things as I could, and didn't force anything as you can see in the picture below : I reduced the size of the savegame (I'm using memcard emulation, even if I have a real memory card, since I don't want to screw my saves), put everything on auto, etc...

I don't know if it's important, but I have a vertical wii and a real gamecube controller, which I believe should make Nintendont even more compatible (or not?)

Anyway, I'm running out of ideas, and it would be too bad to have to come back to discs (which I fortunately still own), just because of that bug. So, I would really appreciate if any of you had a suggestion, and thank you in advance for your answers.

Greetings.

View attachment 50780

Is it an unmodified ISO and MD5 verified? Are you running from SD or USB HDD? Also, r400 is not the latest version anymore.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

Greetings.

View attachment 50780
well the only thing i see there that is kinda diferent is forcing french language wich shouldnt matter much.

also you need native set to on why? are you using the the gba link cable or something? you can use gc controllers with native off just fine, native is just for gba link cable.

Are your isos md5 checked and full dumps? or you are using wierdly shruken and not md5 checked isos?those are the main cause of audio issues and freezes

use this http://www.mediafire.com/download/5y3tfpoil433rij/MD5_SHA-1+Utility.exe

then compare your iso md5 with the ones on redump.org im guessing you are using shrunken isos specialy shrunken by GCISOTOOL am i correct?

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got all the code merged and ready for testing: https://github.com/GerbilSoft/Nintendont/tree/FatFS-use-in-loader

Some notes:
  • loader.dol has NOT been recompiled; you'll need to compile it yourself.
  • exFAT is not currently enabled. I tried enabling it locally, and while it now detects exFAT volumes, it doesn't seem to think there's anything on it. I'm not sure if it's because of a bug in FatFS, some option that I haven't enabled, or something wrong with the Linux exFAT tools. I'll try again tomorrow with the Windows exFAT driver.

Brand Newman

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
Thank you all for your answers.

The iso I use are not shrunken : I made them myself using USB Loader GX from the discs I own. I'll check their md5 just in case anyway.

I didn't know I could use the gamepad with native off ! I'll give it a try, thanks.

Finally, I'm using an SD Card for Nintendont, but the games are stored on a hard drive.

About Nintendont version, I try to keep updated, but the problem has occurred with every version I checked, so I guess it has to do with something that was there from a very long time.

Anyway, I own another Wii which I bought before they stopped production (didn't want to lose the ability to read gamecube discs), and is still brand new : will probably try to install Nintendont on it, and see if the same happens.

I'm open to any other suggestion, thank you all for your replies.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Thank you all for your answers.

The iso I use are not shrunken : I made them myself using USB Loader GX from the discs I own. I'll check their md5 just in case anyway.

I didn't know I could use the gamepad with native off ! I'll give it a try, thanks.

Finally, I'm using an SD Card for Nintendont, but the games are stored on a hard drive.

About Nintendont version, I try to keep updated, but the problem has occurred with every version I checked, so I guess it has to do with something that was there from a very long time.

Anyway, I own another Wii which I bought before they stopped production (didn't want to lose the ability to read gamecube discs), and is still brand new : will probably try to install Nintendont on it, and see if the same happens.

I'm open to any other suggestion, thank you all for your replies.
why not use everything from usb btw? you can make an apps folder on the hdd and use nintendont from there just remove your sd card from the console, and maybe yor discs arent md5 checked i heard alot of times ripping games be it with clean rip/usbloader gx and such can cause bad dumps sometimes so yeah check their md5s and report back.

PFTM

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, i'm using Black Wii . Does nintendont support usb mass storage and usb controller at same time? My usb controller get disconnect again and back to work after 5 second....

seriously, why everything is ok with Wii remote ?

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, i'm using Black Wii . Does nintendont support usb mass storage and usb controller at same time? My usb controller get disconnect again and back to work after 5 second....

seriously, why everything is ok with Wii remote ?

Sounds like either the controller is disconnecting or incompatible? Hard to tell from here where we can't see what it is. :P

Brand Newman

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
why not use everything from usb btw? you can make an apps folder on the hdd and use nintendont from there just remove your sd card from the console, and maybe yor discs arent md5 checked i heard alot of times ripping games be it with clean rip/usbloader gx and such can cause bad dumps sometimes so yeah check their md5s and report back.
Thanks for your advice. I tried your software on the two games I experienced troubles with most recently (Eternal Darkness and Starfox Assault), and the md5 are both reported as correct.

I removed the sd card from the slot and used Nintendont from USB : it sure helped things go faster (thanks for that), but sadly couldn't prevent audio statics after a while, neither did putting "native control" off and language on "auto"...

I was wondering : I noticed my IOS58 version is 6176, and when I use NUS Downloader, they say there's a 6175 version too. Can it be that 6176 would be unstable? Do anyone know what difference there is between the two? Guess I'll have to go back to discs if I can't find out what the problem is... :-(

Thank you for your time anyway. Regards.

Brand Newman

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
I was wondering : I noticed my IOS58 version is 6176, and when I use NUS Downloader, they say there's a 6175 version too. Can it be that 6176 would be unstable? Do anyone know what difference there is between the two? Guess I'll have to go back to discs if I can't find out what the problem is... :-(

Nopes... just tried with 6175 and the result is the same : 5 minutes of game, then static sounds, then a freeze or a shut down... err...

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Thanks for your advice. I tried your software on the two games I experienced troubles with most recently (Eternal Darkness and Starfox Assault), and the md5 are both reported as correct.

I removed the sd card from the slot and used Nintendont from USB : it sure helped things go faster (thanks for that), but sadly couldn't prevent audio statics after a while, neither did putting "native control" off and language on "auto"...

So you confirmed both your isos are md5 checked correct?well the only thing i can think off is your hdd not being good or being too slow, or your fat32 formating is too fragmented or something? well something hinders your hdd speed , did you try switching the usb port?maybe its damaged or something? you dont have a homebrew channel with a theme?

Brand Newman

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
So you confirmed both your isos are md5 checked correct?well the only thing i can think off is your hdd not being good or being too slow, or your fat32 formating is too fragmented or something? well something hinders your hdd speed , did you try switching the usb port?maybe its damaged or something? you dont have a homebrew channel with a theme?
I don't think it's the HDD. I mean, it is the second HDD I try, it's brand new (Samsung D3 Station, less than a year, has its own power supply), so I doubt it is fragmented that much (I'll check of course). As for the homebrew I don't have any theme, and I launch Nintendont directly from it (not from a loader, just in case of).

Searching on the Internet, it seems I'm not the only one having problems with sound (statics or missing music after playing a while), so I guess I'll just have to wait until a new version solves it...

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I don't think it's the HDD. I mean, it is the second HDD I try, it's brand new (Samsung D3 Station, less than a year, has its own power supply), so I doubt it is fragmented that much (I'll check of course). As for the homebrew I don't have any theme, and I launch Nintendont directly from it (not from a loader, just in case of).

Searching on the Internet, it seems I'm not the only one having problems with sound (statics or missing music after playing a while), so I guess I'll just have to wait until a new version solves it...
there will be no updates regarding your issue becuase those people you readed were issues from like 100+ revs ago that were fixed long ago with the hdd wake up time and such, also it only happens on those 2 games? or all games do that? try also putting maxpads set to 4 wich is the default value btw.
i googled and Samsung D3 Station doesnt have a sleep mode so no sleepy i guess still the issue you report is the game getting without data slowly bit by bit until it crashes so something on your wii or hdd cuts it off, do you have anything out of the ordinary on your wii? some wierd cios or something that uses background networks or something like that? do you have a simple flashdrive you could test on? or even an SD card?big enough to put nintendont and one of those games?

on a last try do this
maxpads 4
unlock speed limit on
osreport on

Last edited by pedro702,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.