Hacking Nintendont

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
@GerbilSoft I don't get it, what is this big update for? From what I can gather it seems there's some kind od an issue when you insert a fat32 HDD into a Mac PC that's causing the creation of an extra file that's no necessary? Is that what this is?

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@GerbilSoft I don't get it, what is this big update for? From what I can gather it seems there's some kind od an issue when you insert a fat32 HDD into a Mac PC that's causing the creation of an extra file that's no necessary? Is that what this is?
Mac OS X sometimes creates an EFI System Partition when setting up an external HDD as Hybrid GPT. This extra partition is always formatted as FAT32. Nintendont previously looked for the first FAT32 partition on the disk; with the introduction of GPT support, that ended up being the EFI System Partition in some cases.

Those partitions are now ignored, so Nintendont will find the correct partition.

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
OK so I just had a idea on how to fix this long load time problem and I implemented it and it actually seems to work perfectly, basically I just added a sector cache so it keeps the FAT loaded in memory instead of reading it out every single time we open a file which saves a ton of time so @GerbilSoft I solved my own issue, now we can let the merge begin I guess :D

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Makes sense. I'll do more work on that tonight.

Meanwhile, it seems my commits that rework the kernel to use device numbers in FatFS instead of function pointers for disk_read() etc. have disappeared. No idea where they went. :V I'll have to redo that, I guess.

Also, a quick-and-dirty (and untested) attempt at making it more obvious that the user pressed '-' to swap the face buttons: (BT.c, around line 798)

Code:
// If face buttons are swapped, invert the LED state.
u8 led = LEDState[CurChan];
if (BTPadConnected[i]->controller & C_SWAP)
	led ^= 0xF0;
// Add rumble if necessary.
if (BTPadConnected[i]->transfertype == 0x3D || BTPadConnected[i]->controller & (C_RUMBLE_WM | C_NUN))
	led |= CurRumble;

BTSetControllerState(BTPadConnected[i]->sock, led);
sync_after_write(BTPadConnected[i], sizeof(struct BTPadStat));

This would result in e.g. Player 1 having LEDs 2, 3, and 4 lit if the controller buttons are swapped.

Last edited by GerbilSoft,
Reactions: bm123456

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
alright just pushed my cache addition into the fatfs branch. if anyone here already wants to give this fatfs-only branch a try to maybe see some errors before we merge things you can get the dol of it right here:
https://github.com/FIX94/Nintendont/raw/fatfsloader/loader/loader.dol
with these changes nintendont frontend wise still feels just as quick as it always was and I hope this will be the case for everyone else too.

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
alright just pushed my cache addition into the fatfs branch. if anyone here already wants to give this fatfs-only branch a try to maybe see some errors before we merge things you can get the dol of it right here:
https://github.com/FIX94/Nintendont/raw/fatfsloader/loader/loader.dol
with these changes nintendont frontend wise still feels just as quick as it always was and I hope this will be the case for everyone else too.
So... exFAT support now? I could give it a try.

huma_dawii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

LWares87

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just curious to ask, what exactly are the actual benefits of adding support for exFat partitions to Nintendont?

Also, isn't the disc image size without any kind of compression or scrubbing only 1.5GB? :/

huma_dawii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just curious to ask, what exactly are the actual benefits of adding support for exFat partitions to Nintendont?

Also, isn't the disc image size without any kind of compression or scrubbing only 1.5GB? :/

You can use your HDD for more than just your games.. for example I use my HDD for backup of my pc programs, and some isos are big and fat32 can't handle more than 4gb so this time around you can get the best of all worlds, you don't need to split the Wii games too..

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

huma_dawii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Does Nintendont or Wii Backup Loaders take advantage of the speed with this new FS?
its not exactly relevant for us no, we only have one file open at the time (the iso) and we know exactly where its physical location on the drive is so no matter which file system we would use that would just be at the exact same speed.

Reactions: huma_dawii

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
there you go:
http://www.on-time.com/rtos-32-docs...-manual/exfat/benefits-of-the-file-system.htm
Only thing this doesnt mention is that the device size is pretty much endless with exfat because its 64bit. also all modern sd cards if you buy them are pre-formatted with exfat because of speed advantages.
This isn't a bad idea especially since Wii U games are big in size so in theory this could help in the future when we start backing up Wii U isos as well, my only question and it's a silly one but does this have any disadvantage for us fat32 users?

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This isn't a bad idea especially since Wii U games are big in size so in theory this could help in the future when we start backing up Wii U isos as well, my only question and it's a silly one but does this have any disadvantage for us fat32 users?
The only issue I can foresee is if you use a homebrew that doesn't like exFAT.

LWares87

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So... would that mean, games on a exFAT partition won't show up on loaders like USB Loader GX then? Unless homebrew developers decide to support it (like for example, USB Loader GX).

EDIT: There was one thing that bothered me about using exFAT partitions though and that was when i was using Gateway 3DS flashcard, where there would sometimes be a issue when you remove files.

I know if it's not relevant for discussion in this thread though, but i thought I'd decide to bring it up anyway.

Last edited by LWares87,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I got notified here (I didn't read that thread for a long time) and see exFAT is supported now?
Should I update the first post? it might be outdated, seeing how long I didn't read the progress and changelogs.
But Fix94 has access so he can do it. It's nice to see it's still a work in progress. I'm sorry I couldn't follow the project recently (where is my free time going?)

Ah, While I'm here, and in an attempt to clean the wiiu's section stickies, I would like to suggest moving this thread to the Wii section. where it has all the other game loaders.
It's not a "wiiu" only project anymore, even if it started as such, it's like a lot of Wii projects which works on vWii too, they don't have a thread in the Wiiu section. homebrew working on both are located in Wii section.
That would free the stickied thread in the WiiU section for WiiU hacks only, instead of vWii hacks and homebrew. it should be less confusing now that wiiu can be hacked.
I know all the users are used to find the thread here, but we could keep a redirect for few days.
If @FIX94 you are fine with it, that would be nice. you can move it yourself to wii/usbloaders section if you want. I wanted to ask to you first before doing anything.
Thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse