Hacking Nintendont + Cheats. Lets fix it once and for all?

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They do have to be on the same drive as the game as Mr. Mysterio said.

There could be something else wrong with your cIOS then. If you could post a syscheck.csv when you get a chance that might help.
(Put it in spoiler tags)

Also, you might check in disk manager on your PC and verify there are no hidden partitions. Some manufacturers like to hide a copy of their drive utilities on a virtual CD partition.

Reactions: fariasluciano

fariasluciano

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
They do have to be on the same drive as the game as Mr. Mysterio said.

There could be something else wrong with your cIOS then. If you could post a syscheck.csv when you get a chance that might help.
(Put it in spoiler tags)

Also, you might check in disk manager on your PC and verify there are no hidden partitions. Some manufacturers like to hide a copy of their drive utilities on a virtual CD partition.

I just did it. Codes folder with code on same drive. No luck.
I'll verify my usb for hidden partition. What could be wrong with my cIOS?

fariasluciano

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
fariasluciano: If all you want is to use cheats briefly on GameCube games just to pass tough levels or something, you could use Dolphin. In all the years I've used it, cheats have worked flawlessly. Although, it would be nice to get cheats working in Nintendont.
Mr. Mysterio, thanx again for your patience!
Well, the reason I wanna use cheats is because I wanna beat a lot of games I used to play long ago ( I'm 40 ). I Used to have a NGC at the time, but never beat Metroid and other games. Time has passed, Now I want to get all this games again, and nintendont was my solution, because I only have a classic controller pro to play GC games.
Anyway, nowadays, i just wanna play the older games for the story, not for the challenge, because today, at my age, time is a lot shorter. I really don't like to cheat, only facilitate a bit some things...
I'm having a hard time to kill Sheegoth on Metroid Prime ( I killed him in 2004 though ), so i wanna get to the point where I was when I sold my NGC then, I guess I was at the pirate frigate...
I do have dolphin at my pc, but I really gave up on playing there. Use motioninjoy, configuring my ps3 controller, slowdowns... Nah, I really think playing in nintendont is way better. Plug and play...

Mr. Mysterio

Super Genius
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've done more testing, and I'm 99% sure now that the codes are the problem. When I use the exact same method, some games work, but others don't. These games worked for me:
Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
Super Mario Sunshine
Mario Superstar Baseball
Mario Power Tennis

fariasluciano

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I've done more testing, and I'm 99% sure now that the codes are the problem. When I use the exact same method, some games work, but others don't. These games worked for me:
Super Mario Sunshine
Mario Superstar Baseball
Mario Power Tennis
Gonna try Luigi's mansion again, right now. I have all the codes for the right region also, so, maybe i'm picking the exact games that codes won't work...
Murphy is really giving me a hard time...
latest

Badablek

Trophies
XP
Country
France
From Nintendon't official thread (thanks Cyan for this wonderful tutorial) :

Note: Some cheatcodes won't work, especially the ones related to controller/Button press if you don't use "Native Control" settings.
Converted codes from Action replay of gameshark are not always compatible.

Attention:
Action replay codes are not compatible and need to be converted.
You can find a tutorial to convert Action replay codes to Ocarina/WiiRd format here.

Maybe you're out of luck and the codes you want to use are not compatible ?

ps : I tried to convert Metroid Prime AR codes to GCT > not working
Tried also to download txtcodes for Luigi's Mansion > not working.

Cheating is hard (and also bad :moogle:)

Mr. Mysterio

Super Genius
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

About half of my Luigi's Mansion codes were my own codes that I made in Dolphin. NOT converted from action replay or gameshark. I think the entire RAM is shifted for some games.

fariasluciano

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

I did it too... Downloaded the gtc files from geckocodes. I even downloaded all the txt codes fom geckocodes and put in the SD ( txtcodes ).
If they're not compatible, wich ones are?

Mr. Mysterio

Super Genius
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly the ones i really wanna play... Damn...

Well, if all is to kill Sheegoth, I would recommend trying the Dolphin method. Just import your save from the USB drive into dolphin, then turn cheats on and defeat Sheegoth, then transfer your new save back to your USB device. This method worked for me before I figured out Gecko OS mod.

fariasluciano

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well, if all is to kill Sheegoth, I would recommend trying the Dolphin method. Just import your save from the USB drive into dolphin, then turn cheats on and defeat Sheegoth, then transfer your new save back to your USB device. This method worked for me before I figured out Gecko OS mod.
Yeah, for now, I guess it's the best solution. But let's not give up on making cheats work on nintendont... I really liked the app!

Reactions: Mr. Mysterio

fariasluciano

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Jesus, I think It worked!
I Deleted the boot.dol from nintendont and replaced with another new rev. ( I made the updates via wii earlier too ), but now I think it worked! Now I don't know wich metod was ok. Anyway, I loaded Eternal Darkness and the code description was effective!
After all, I think it was the games/codes that really don't work. Exactly the games I really wanna beat. But that's ok, important is nintendont can load cheats.
Something went on when I replaced boot.dol.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
1)
Remember that Nintendont is working in Wii mode, with shifted and custom memory addresses.
A lot of codes created for Gamecube games running in Gamecube mode are NOT using the same addresses.

Some cheats may not work at all.
Some games may have only some of them working.

Most games will require new cheatcode search to fix existing codes.

2)
The guide on the first page of nintendont thread is correct and enough to make cheats working.
If the cheat doesn't work, it's not your setup but what I explained above.

3)
All the files used by nintendont need to be on the game's partition (that is, settings, cheats, kenobi, controller, saves, etc.)

You don't need to place the cheat code files multiple times on your drive, Nintendont will load the FIRST encountered .gct file, checked in this order:
- in the same folder than the game.iso, named "game.gct"
- in the same folder than the game.iso, named GameID.gct
- in a subfolder of /games/ named after the game's gameID, filename GameID.gct (/games/GZLP01/GZLP01.gct)
- in the /codes/ folder, filename GameID.gct

4)
CheatPath is a Nintendont option ?
the user have access to enable/disable that setting inside the setting menu of Nintendont?
This is really bad!!!

DO NOT ENABLE CHEAT PATH !

Enabling cheat path setting tells nintendont that it has to use a CUSTOM cheat path instead of the location explained in (3).
If you enable "cheat path" without providing a path to the .gct, then nintendont will NEVER find your file, unless you put it on the root (no path, no folders = root)
This setting is used by USBLoaders to tell Nintendont where they are storing their own gct (example : /wiiflow/codes/)

5)
having 5 copies if the .gct file will be harder for you to maintain/edit the content, you won't remember which file is used. only use one and it's enough and easier to manage. Even better, use an USBLoader to edit/generate the files and launch the game.
The USBLoader has easy interface to pick different codes and re-generate the gct.
it will tell Nintendont where the gct is located without you needed to copy it manually at specific places.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
It was stated before some game codes dont work at all becuase nintendont heavely changed adresses and such to make some games run so expect some games to not have working cheats.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I updated the cheatcode section on nintendont thread.:

Note: Nintendont is working in Wii mode, with shifted and custom memory addresses.
Most (if not all?) existing cheat codes you will find online have been created for GameCube mode (gamecube console, Dolphin emulator, Wii in gamecube mode using MIOS/DM/DML).
Therefore the addresses are not the same anymore and a lot of cheatcodes will NOT work.

This is especially true for the cheats related to controller/Button to be pressed as the controllers are not using original functions and memory location.
To get better chances for controller's cheats compatibility, you will require to enable the "Native Control" settings and use the real GameCube controller port on compatible Wii.

But remember, this will not make it work 100% of the time.
To get 100% cheats support you need to re-search cheats using a debugger running in Wii mode.
Nobody started converting code from Gamecube to Nintendont.

Attention:
Action replay codes are not compatible and need to be converted.
You can find a tutorial to convert Action replay codes to Ocarina/WiiRd format here.
Converted codes from Action replay or gameshark are not always compatible. Even less compatible than existing "Gamecube mode" codes.

fariasluciano

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
After some tests, finally the answer:
The cheat codes DO work.

Just the game.gct alongside with the game.iso, "cheat" on, and that's it.

If the cheat won't load, the cheat code are no good/not compatible. No more to it.

Thanxs to everybody who tried to help me, you guys rock!

Now, head to find out how to use debugger and make some codes to Metroid Prime.

Oh, one more thing, list the games wich geckocodes won't work:

Metroid Prime
Luigi's Mansion
Zelda Wild Wanker

So far, my tests showed that the codes work with:

Pikmin ( With a few bugs - Time codes made the game freeze )
Eternal Darkness
Super Mario sunshine

Tomorrow, more games to test.

See ya!

Reactions: Mr. Mysterio

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
it's no use to list games with non working code, it's not the game's fault but the code's fault.
You should list the specific cheat effect you want which doesn't work.
For example, infinite health could work while moon jump doesn't.

As for the debugger :
- You need an USBGecko
- USBGecko works only on Wii with gamecube memory card slot

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.