Nintendo: Where Do We Point the Finger of Blame?

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo just needs to create games that shows the full potential of the Gamepad.
Like what ?????????????
It's never going to happen.

Up until now they don't know what to start with it them self.
Don't you think that is a bad sign ?

People can only look at one screen at a time.

The Gamepad is a failed idea.

In Japan, where they have small rooms and one TV a gamepad might be reasonable.
In my house, we have a room called the Wii Room.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
the point of my last reply was that this additional hardware failed and many games suffered from it.
The Gamepad brings no major advantages with itself so buying one is really pointless. This Hardware would also fail and people wouldn't even bother of programming anything for it.
so many games would suffer, again.

Again, then take it out. Make it an option.

Its much better the Gamepad failing than the whole Wii U failing.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Why would anyone want to use the 3DS and it's awful as fuck control scheme as an extra controller?

That's like handing your friend a MadCatz controller. Where half the buttons are broken. And it's covered in rusty nails.

The original 3DS is just abysmal thanks to the material used for the buttons and the placement of the dpad. Seriously, games like Kid Icarus: Uprising and any game that used the dpad would leave deep, painful corduroy marks on my fingers after less than an hour of playing. Not to mention that it just flat out doesn't fit an adult male's hand.

I think the XL is just fine, though. Aside from the placement of the dpad, the controls are perfect. And I find that the circle pad replaces the dpad quite well, anyway.

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Again, then take it out. Make it an option.

Its much better the Gamepad failing than the whole Wii U failing.

Oh, yeah because making the cheapest next Gen homeconsole cheaper by removing one of the main hardware pieces will definitely boost the sales & kick the competition to oblivion.

Wii U already has the Pro of being cheap. They also sell at a little loss already with the 300€ price (or at least they did, not sure about now).
I never even considered buying Ouya because it's the cheapest homeconsole out there and I won't make an exception for the Wii U.
Nintendo allowed them self to spend one entire year releasing no games, it's not the fault of the price nor is it the gamepad's fault. It was Nintendo's fault wasting an entire year.

mario5555

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Joke comment:

They are failing because of Iwata's insatiable appetite for bananas which is bleeding them dry... :P

Serious comment:

I've said this elsewhere, Iwata is to blame because he thought they could ride the Wii coat tails and Nintendo got complacent (look at the 3DS's first year) and thought all those owners would come along and support the Wii U blindly (again it is a very stupid name, if people couldn't differentiate between both systems) and support Nintendo like they did in the past.

Secondly Miyamoto is partly to blame (but not solely as I don't think he makes all software decisions) but they have rested on their laurels Pikmin was the last major series they created and backed a lot, sadly even though it has it's fans it didn't turn into the massive hit they were looking for (has Miyamoto lost his golden touch?)

And on that front, they allow some of their veteran designers to release less than stellar games which hurt the overall properties (Metroid: Other M anyone) and then decide to let the property lie dormant until it's dead again. Or on the flip side finally release a followup then say well maybe in another 5-10 (or 25 years, so says Kid Icarus). They leave old and respected IP's dead, don't do enough with fan favorites (F-Zero), and release way too many Mario games giving the all too real impression that they release nothing BUT Mario games, and can you blame anyone for thinking that.

They need to go back reassess their good properties, make games for them, regardless of their potential super success (Nintendo has a bad habit of only releasing and even worse localizing games that will sell 500k or more, and deem anything less than that a massive failure and abandon it) But as they've seen Fire Emblem has become a important property for them (and one they've unfortunately relegated to handheld purgatory) but it's taken quite a long time for them to see that because the series was a extremely slow burner in sales while people discovered and got to know the game (the high prices of the older localized games didn't help either to reduce that entrance barrier)

They need to give the fans what they want, get more development teams to meet the challenge of current gen development, leave the gimmick based console at the door for a cycle or two, especially if it does NOT enhance the gameplay, (See how MASSIVE motion control gaming is...oh wait) and use their well established legendary stable of IP's in a more effective manner and not let properties languish for 25 years.

Nintendo needs to get with the times and not rest on their laurels thinking that well enough is good enough, they have the product people want, they just need the manpower to produce it and the ability to know what the fans want and the foresight to give it to them on a platform they want to play it on.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Serious comment:

I've said this elsewhere, Iwata is to blame because he thought they could ride the Wii coat tails and Nintendo got complacent (look at the 3DS's first year) and thought all those owners would come along and support the Wii U blindly (again it is a very stupid name, if people couldn't differentiate between both systems)

The reason why they chose to name it "Wii U", to me, is actually very clear.

In my opinion, they chose that name, in order to jump on the "Wii" money maker wagon wheel. In short, they needed a new name for their system, BUT lets not forget the BIG BUCKS came from crappy family games.

Since the Wii was so popular and everyone knows what it is (even the non-gamers), the word "Wii" had to be present.

But guess what Nintendo, those days are over. The massive sales due to "Bowling on your living room", are over.

As someone already said here:

"The large majority of casual gamers or recreational gamers (lets not forget this is where the Wii flourished and sold massively), already HAVE a family gaming, turn-on-once-a-week, system. It's called a Wii. They don't need, and won't buy the Wii U, until it stops working or gets too old"

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my house, we have a room called the Wii Room.

Do you also have a room where you laugh at poor people and swim in money?

Sorry I'm an average, middle class white American and we have one family room. I mean I have a TV in my room but I don't really use it because the living room one is much better.

Point is saying "The GamePad is dumb because here in North America we have rooms for our consoles" is really fucking dumb. It's a dumb idea for a multitude of reasons, having the "play games on the screen" function is not one of them.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
nope miss sex symbol .

most titles on xboom n playstation hasnt survived the console eras . and never three consols eras .

nintendo stand n fall of series that have been active for five eras in total ... thats not good .

edit: and if you wanna scream resident evil or tony hawk pro skater, or final fantasy.. these are titles that is dying, cause youth surpasses seniors always

We will probably see some of the PS2 major hits on PS4, having then 3 generations of franchise selling good:
God of War, Ratchet and Clank, GTA, Call of Duty, Mortal Kombat(which has been kicking since arcade era), Battlefield, FIFA,
Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo, Street Fighter etc

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I blame the extremist Nintendo fanboys, the ones who have every excuse to defend and justify the mistakes Nintendo makes even though they know that things aren't all sunshine and butterflies. I see this with folks defending the WiiU having no 3rd party support so much. Nintendo is seeing the defense of such and aren't addressing most of the issues. Then it's also Nintendo's fault for not understanding Western gaming in general.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I blame the extremist Nintendo fanboys, the ones who have every excuse to defend and justify the mistakes Nintendo makes even though they know that things aren't all sunshine and butterflies. I see this with folks defending the WiiU having no 3rd party support so much. Nintendo is seeing the defense of such and aren't addressing most of the issues. Then it's also Nintendo's fault for not understanding Western gaming in general.

True, but to be fair, you could say that about any of the big three. Every console has its fanboys that will defend every decision no matter what.
Do be fair, Wii U name is not to blame. I mean, at least it is better than Xbox One (which is actually Xbox Three).

Not really. The Xbox has held the word "Xbox" in its console names since the beginning (Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One). With Nintendo it's different because every console up through the Wii has held the word "Nintendo" in its name. Even the Wii was generally referred to as "Nintendo Wii." However now you have the Wii U, which uses the name from a previous system, rather than just Nintendo (id est, "Nintendo U"), and all the casuals are confused and think it's just a gamepad add-on for the original Wii.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

There are always fanboys to defend whatever stupid decision a company make, not only videogame companies, it's not hard to find Apple and Samsung fanboys blindly defending every mistake the company makes.
For me, the problem is in how the company deal with the new tendencies, they're stubborn with many factors that have been incorpored by competitors almost a decade ago.
Nintendo online infrastructure is terrible, and Nintendo do not seem to give the appropriate importance to it.
Nintendo still lack an account system, they have limited usage demos, block system, region lock and many other archaic stuff that they've still been doing.
For me, it's time for a new CEO to take over Nintendo, someone younger and with the goal to take the company from it's archaic methodology and make it a company that follow current market tendencies.

Ulieq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bottom line. Nintendo makes awesome games & horrible hardware. If they just concentrated on their games and brand, they could be Disney. The entire industry is looking at Nintendo like they are going crazy, and they are. When your founding family wants out, you know there are internal issues.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How many TVs do you have ?

The Average North American home is much bigger than the average Japanese home.

Three. One is in my mom's room so I don't use it, one's in my room but it's small and doesn't support HDMI, and then there's the family room one which is what we use.

My point is that the GamePad can be argued to be bad for a lot of reasons, off screen play is not one of them though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    MrNoobNub @ MrNoobNub: why is everyone so horny