Nintendo Switch Online to feature cloud saves and more

20180508_055641.png

Nintendo has revealed new details about its online service. For starters, Nintendo will be introducing cloud backups for saved game data. More details about the save data cloud backups will come before the online service launches in September. Nintendo also announced that 20 NES games will be playable with online play through the service, such as Donkey Kong, Super Mario Bros 3., and the Legend of Zelda. The service will cost $3.99 for 1 month, $7.99 for 3 months, and $19.99 for 12 months. Additionally, Nintendo will also launch a family plan at $34.99 for 12 months. This family plan will allow the holder of the family plan to invite up to seven other people.

:arrow:Source

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh good I was worried I would have to pay for online service on all eight of my Nintendo Switches separately.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Too bad they didn't have this service for the 3ds. Ninjhax saves in the cloud would have been pretty dope. I'd have paid for that.

Reactions: Red771

garyopa

Admin @ MaxConsole
Trophies
Website
www.O-P-A.biz
XP
Country
Canada
i wonder how the family plan is going to work, i have four brothers and a friend who i bought switches for while 2 share the same ip address and would certainly work and a further 2 live in the same city the final two live across the country.
but hopefully it's like netflix and anyone you trust enough to share your password with counts.

the TRUST FACTOR is enforced, by Nintendo, in that whomever is main 'family group' account holder, must have his/her valid CREDIT CARD and/or PAYPAL account LINKED/STORED on file with big 'N'.

And that person is this sole responsible for all online charges, digital purchases, dlc, eShop content, that the 8 people in your FAMILY GROUP purchase at anytime they are are online.

This will cut down greatly any abuse of people thinking they can form like a little private block group of 8 gaming buddies, that you may or may not known in person, as no matter how trusting your friends might be its not like sharing your 'netflix login password', its sharing a CC or PP account that can rake up service charges anytime, anyplace, anywhere, from any of 8 Switch'es.

So yeah, FAMILY it is, nothing more, and even then I am hell not trusting my older brother that buys everything and everything online even if he does not need it, last month he wasted $2k on google play store alone.

Reactions: zoogie

DBlaze

I don't know what i'm doing.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
These seem like really basic functions for an online service though, why is it taking them so long to implement it?
I honestly don't understand why anyone would be hyped for the ultra-minimal basic online support it should've had day 1, or else way earlier than september.

I'd rather have them implement an option to locally backup saves

zoogie

Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
the TRUST FACTOR is enforced, by Nintendo, in that whomever is main 'family group' account holder, must have his/her valid CREDIT CARD and/or PAYPAL account LINKED/STORED on file with big 'N'.

And that person is this sole responsible for all online charges, digital purchases, dlc, eShop content, that the 8 people in your FAMILY GROUP purchase at anytime they are are online.

This will cut down greatly any abuse of people thinking they can form like a little private block group of 8 gaming buddies, that you may or may not known in person, as no matter how trusting your friends might be its not like sharing your 'netflix login password', its sharing a CC or PP account that can rake up service charges anytime, anyplace, anywhere, from any of 8 Switch'es.

So yeah, FAMILY it is, nothing more, and even then I am hell not trusting my older brother that buys everything and everything online even if he does not need it, last month he wasted $2k on google play store alone.
Just put parental controls smackdown on those "kids" :P

those kids have f-g goin' on :ninja:

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These seem like really basic functions for an online service though, why is it taking them so long to implement it?
I honestly don't understand why anyone would be hyped for the ultra-minimal basic online support it should've had day 1, or else way earlier than september.

I'd rather have them implement an option to locally backup saves
Nintendo has to get their servers ready to get rammed in the rear by Super Smash Bros players as this service will release after the game, giving Smash players time to get used to the gameplay before competing globally.

Lazyboss

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Later many people will start selling the family plan, pay $34.99, sell for 7 more people for $5 each at least = $35 total.
Profit? you are playing for free :grog:

Last edited by Lazyboss,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just NES games? No N64, Snes, GBA, DS, or the like? And we can't keep the older games unless we subscribe to this? Not sure what to feel.

Laaaaaaaaaaaaame. Man, am I glad the Switch has been hacked, we can play the games that Nintendo is blatantly refusing to let us buy and keep.

|<roni&g

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Old ass nes games, screw that. The online is going to suck for old games, be interesting to see but won't be anything amazing.
People who are eager to pay for a service that has always been free are stupid, Nintendo should have already had cloud saves and nes games don't warrant any kind of payment.
Ds, Wii,3ds, WiiU and even Switch right now are all free to play online as they should be, and they plan to charge for it and any of you think that's good?
After a year long break you could fire up those consoles I mentioned and go straight online with no payments necessary, now soon if you take a break from switch for a year and wanna play Mario kart you're going to have to pay first? Fkin pathetic.

Nintendos online is a free service and that is all it has the right to be, their multiplayer games are very few in comparison to the other consoles and they have nothing to warrant paying for.

Someone needs to begin making Switchmmfi

Reactions: cvskid

garyopa

Admin @ MaxConsole
Trophies
Website
www.O-P-A.biz
XP
Country
Canada

EU coming at later date, few more issues to solve over there regarding 'regulations'. meanwhile here is Brexit (UK) version:

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Nintendo...ch-Online/Nintendo-Switch-Online-1183143.html

EDIT: -- strange the UK one is missing anything to do with 'cloud saves'... -- weird...

Last edited by garyopa,

owek1

Master Sword Wielder
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i'm hoping we could at least copy or save files to a usb stick in a future update.. but at least this (cloud saves) is better than nothing..

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't know why people are treating this like this is a good thing. If people didn't pay for the thing, paying for online wouldn't exist at all.
I think putting cloud saves online behind a paywall when there is currently no other official way to back them up is a really shitty thing to do as well.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
An appropriate price point for an incredibly barebones service. Seems fair to me, but it's hardly competitive due to a lack of IGC/GWG equivalent with current gen titles.

zoogie

Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
An appropriate price point for an incredibly barebones service. Seems fair to me, but it's hardly competitive due to a lack of IGC/GWG equivalent with current gen titles.
Nintendo consoles are always a bargain because they're so easy to hack :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!