Nintendo Switch Online to feature cloud saves and more

20180508_055641.png

Nintendo has revealed new details about its online service. For starters, Nintendo will be introducing cloud backups for saved game data. More details about the save data cloud backups will come before the online service launches in September. Nintendo also announced that 20 NES games will be playable with online play through the service, such as Donkey Kong, Super Mario Bros 3., and the Legend of Zelda. The service will cost $3.99 for 1 month, $7.99 for 3 months, and $19.99 for 12 months. Additionally, Nintendo will also launch a family plan at $34.99 for 12 months. This family plan will allow the holder of the family plan to invite up to seven other people.

:arrow:Source

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
I probably won't sub to this service unless I ever need to backup my saves for whatever reason. I think putting cloud saves behind a paywall when there is currently no other official way to back them up is a really shitty thing to do as well.

I agree. No fucking chance of me paying a sub to back up my saves, as I don't use online with any console.

There is bound to be a backup saving tool released for the Switch, once Atmosphere cfw is in a full swing release via Fusee Gelee.

Reactions: sarkwalvein

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
I see no reason to give Nintendo £17.99 a year based on whats been announced.

I've always enjoyed local play with Nintendo consoles given their games seem to be the main ones to still support split screen play these days.

Save backup shouldn't be a long term issue for anyone who owns a Switch now. Given all Switches are exploitable before they even boot in to Horizon, you could keep your Switch totally legit and have the ability to backup your save i imagine.

If they started giving away a couple of GameCube each month (like Games with Gold) I could see this been a bit more appealing. NES games just don't do it for me however.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I agree. No fucking chance of me paying a sub to back up my saves, as I don't use online with any console.

There is bound to be a backup saving tool released for the Switch, once Atmosphere cfw is in a full swing release via Fusee Gelee.
Yeah, the save backup behind a paywall is ludicrous.
And I guess you will need to keep paying the service to access the backed up saves in the future.

"Pay the ransom, we hold your saves hostage!" - Nintendo, the Yakuza group.

Reactions: retrofan_k

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
If these are the only features alongside "premium" online servers (Not even mentioned in the OP) then I don't see why anyone would spend their money on this. Retroarch already exists for the console through homebrew, and you can play pretty much every Nintendo console ever by rebooting into GNU/Linux. The fact that you guys are happy about having to shill out money per-month for such a service is perplexing to me.

Reactions: retrofan_k

garyopa

Admin @ MaxConsole
Trophies
Website
www.O-P-A.biz
XP
Country
Canada
one interesting titbit that isnt on the us site regarding cloud saves:

"Please note: not compatible with all software."

Most likely, at first the 'cloud saves' only for 'first-party' nintendo games, and most likely, the feature will be 'patch' for game itself (issued on game-by-game basis(, not part of 'firmware' update, so better get ready to fill up your sdcard/internal memory with ton of nice big 'patches' for all those physical cartridges you bought.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Most likely, at first the 'cloud saves' only for 'first-party' nintendo games, and most likely, the feature will be 'patch' for game itself (issued on game-by-game basis(, not part of 'firmware' update, so better get ready to fill up your sdcard/internal memory with ton of nice big 'patches' for all those physical cartridges you bought.
As if that weren't the case already, with or without cloud saving.
I can't recall one game from Nintendo that doesn't have a "nice" big patch on my SD card already.

garyopa

Admin @ MaxConsole
Trophies
Website
www.O-P-A.biz
XP
Country
Canada
but NO VC :creep:

Of course not. -- The reason is 'legal' license terms, and possible lawsuits. -- If big 'N' had Virtual Console, then at some point people that bought the old games on 3DS and Wii U would demand for a way to 'transfer them', and even if Nintendo said no, there would be class-action lawsuit filed at some point, and big 'N' does not wish waste time winning yet another court case, or worse forcing to settle for transfer-rights or to give everyone something back as refund, they seen what has happen to Sony over their PSN lawsuits and OtherOS lawsuits, so to avoid all that 'virtual console' is 100% killed, impossible, never to appear again in any form, shape, that could be called the same.

Instead there is going to be 'packaged libraries' of older games, first we will have months of rolling wheel of selection of NES Classics, then zap it will disappear totally, and then you enjoy months of similar selection of GB Classics, and then so on with some tiny bit of SNES, and GC action, all these 'classic libraries' will be kept 90% on the 'online cloud', so that nintendo will control it more, and can change, remove, add titles as they please with of course added 'online features', all the while keeping the 'game data' off your system itself, only having a core library access module that sucks down the graphical frames/screens from cloud, and passes back your joycon buttons to game in cloud itself.

In other words, no VC, no chance of stored pirated VC ROMs, no chance of people transfering these 'classic games' via file-sharing sites to install on CFW, and no chance to get around paying monthly for them, and no chance in hell of ever having a lawsuit dragging thru the courts to force older/existing customers of VC games from previous consoles/handhelds to be given any form of 'transfer rights', 'discounts' or 'refunds' on their past history of digital purchases.

Reactions: sarkwalvein

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course not. -- The reason is 'legal' license terms, and possible lawsuits. -- If big 'N' had Virtual Console, then at some point people that bought the old games on 3DS and Wii U would demand for a way to 'transfer them', and even if Nintendo said no, there would be class-action lawsuit filed at some point, and big 'N' does not wish waste time winning yet another court case, or worse forcing to settle for transfer-rights or to give everyone something back as refund, they seen what has happen to Sony over their PSN lawsuits and OtherOS lawsuits, so to avoid all that 'virtual console' is 100% killed, impossible, never to appear again in any form, shape, that could be called the same.
You don't know this is the reason why. When SNES VC games came out on the N3DS people got upset that they had to buy them again even if they had them for the WII U. Nintendo said no transfer and people sucked it up. There were no lawsuits.

By this logic Nintendo wouldn't be releasing WII U ports on the switch because anyone who bought Pokken Tournament, Mario Kart 8, Bayoneta l & 2, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, etc., on the WII U would sue them for the same reason...
Instead there is going to be 'packaged libraries' of older games, first we will have months of rolling wheel of selection of NES Classics, then zap it will disappear totally, and then you enjoy months of similar selection of GB Classics, and then so on with some tiny bit of SNES, and GC action, all these 'classic libraries' will be kept 90% on the 'online cloud', so that nintendo will control it more, and can change, remove, add titles as they please with of course added 'online features', all the while keeping the 'game data' off your system itself, only having a core library access module that sucks down the graphical frames/screens from cloud, and passes back your joycon buttons to game in cloud itself.

In other words, no VC, no chance of stored pirated VC ROMs, no chance of people transfering these 'classic games' via file-sharing sites to install on CFW, and no chance to get around paying monthly for them, and no chance in hell of ever having a lawsuit dragging thru the courts to force older/existing customers of VC games from previous consoles/handhelds to be given any form of 'transfer rights', 'discounts' or 'refunds' on their past history of digital purchases.
When CFW comes out there will be GB, GBC, GBA, NES and SNES emulators. Removing VC won't stop people drom storing roms and playing them on the switch.

To this day people are pirating N3DS VC console releases from freeshop and I don't see Wii U owners suing Nintendo for this neither.

It seems like you are just looking to excuse Nintendo and making stuff up to do so. Your reasons that explain why, are totally imaginary since they happened before and everything was fine.

Reactions: Jonna

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
    +1
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
  • cearp @ cearp:
    It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space
    +1
    Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @rqkaiju2, Physical media is a great source for archiving your data, none of that cloud storage shiz.
    +1
    [squeezes @SylverReZ onto a physical media, then archives you in my old stuff box] :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, should i change my pfp to one of these or keep it the same?
    iu

iu

(i guess i could change it to one of my other pfps too, but i just want to see what you guys think first)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Up to you.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    smug sonic time lmao
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Chronic The HempHog
  • DilllyDabDharma @ DilllyDabDharma:
    I'm new! Hi!
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Welcome
  • DilllyDabDharma @ DilllyDabDharma:
    What are your favorite topics?
    DilllyDabDharma @ DilllyDabDharma: What are your favorite topics?