GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
dreams-ps4 copy.jpg

Dreams, the last game for PS4 from Media Molecule U.K. developers (Little Big Planet, Tearaway), let users create 3D art, music and games and share them with other players who can then include each elements in their own games.
The users created a lot of new and original creations, but also many existing IP from games to movies industry.

More than a year since the beta release, end of 2018, and few days after the official release, in February 14th 2020, Nintendo is now taking legal action and request removal of all their IP in all user's creations.
It means hundreds of creations, from character to playable levels, to shared elements included in others creations will become unavailable.

Concerned users are receiving legal notice from Sony on their PSN registered email, and see their creation locked for copyright infringement.

Sources :
:arrow: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/

:arrow: Piece of Craft's Twitter account.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: Alexander1970

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I rarely make news, I hope the format is fine and the info interesting.
If it's frontpaged, please someone rewrite the information into something more appealing :P
and maybe even some question to users, how they feel about removed content? aren't the creations be seen as an honor to be recreated?

I used the first sources I found, not sure if there are any rules on which one to use, there are many available already.

I'm playing and enjoying Dreams' creation for a year now.
I still have hard time creating anything, but playing other's creation is so fun!

there are so many with a Nintendo IP in it, from simple "?" cube, to full level, to enemies or recreated/personal edited music. (at least personal music should stay, right? it's user's created and not a real recorded audio stream).

Some example of Nintendo's IP games (among thousands available).

someone's "best game" choice from March 2020.

Slideout3019; a wipeout experience from Gauffreman!
All his creations and games are really beautiful and well achieved.

But, just a nice information :
Not every companies are like nintendo !
For that last "Slideout" video, the Wipeout Omega producer commented and liked it. He even proposed his assistance and to answer any questions the maker of that dream game could have to improve it.

A little ads for the road !
Media Molecule is streaming on Twitch for an hour long every Tuesday (tutorial) and Thursday (user creation of the week) 5PM GMT.
They are a really available developer team, and they answer any users questions.
Next stream resume on March 31

Music creation tutorial.

Last edited by Cyan,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I really wouldn't want to be the one responsible for removing content. either finding content to fill a DMCA, or Mm (MediaMolecule) removing it, there are so much to take care of and it seems they are doing it on a one by one basis... nintendo has to fill a DMCA for each dream content they find?

I guess they can't give the order "please remove all marios". because some might be hard to spot (different colors, different design but same animation or sound, etc.)
lot of original characters are using the 3 jump animation from mario. Are they at risk?

Last edited by Cyan,

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That sucks I never played this because my ps4 is offline only but I love stuff like this.
The more you go down this hole Nintendo the less I'm gonna spend on your shit.
You're putting a bad taste in people's mouths (which you have the right to do but still)

Reactions: DarkCoffe64

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I mean, it was only a matter of time right? lol
yes, at least I knew it would happen for any non original work, and Mm properly warned everyone about copyrighted creations. the warning is even included in the game.
they encourage everyone to make original work to prevent levels and sound to be deleted.
They also only show original work on their twitch user creation stream.

I created two IP elements too (disney/pixar and stargate). I wonder if disney will make the same move, but it's not a big loss it was my first character as a test for available options.
Though, I spend more time on recreating a functional stargate (not finished yet), I wouldn't want to it be deleted, but it's the game :P

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: BORTZ

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need to get a copy of this game. I want to play some of the "original" content before it all gets taken down.

Is this a physical release? Does anyone know?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
There is a physical disc release too.
amazon com doesn't seem to have it new, only used (or I didn't look correctly)
amazon uk have some
the full game should be 40$ (the early access was 30$)

Last edited by Cyan,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
been playing and creating since the beta.
Ohh, you create too ?
I don't have time, or I'm really bad at it and never did something I'm proud of so I just watch twitch Mm streams (confined one are funny) and try random user's creation instead.
I don't miss ideas but can't put them in form without cringing and ending not saving anything.

I'll look for yours :)

Last edited by Cyan,

MadonnaProject

Trophies
XP
Country
As I said. Massively draconian company will do as they always have. Oh well at least their characters are cushy and cute.

Nintendo fanboys, please don't come after me its just my opinion. This is not infringing on nintendo's IP because this isn't being done for profit and no one is passing on mariosixtyfour for the billionth time because of this.

I have 5 nintendo switches. I can still accept nintendo is evil. Its fine.

Reactions: IncredulousP

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ohh, you create too ?
I don't have time, or I'm really bad at it and never did something I'm proud of so I just watch twitch Mm streams (confined one are funny) and try random user's creation instead.
I don't miss ideas but can't put them in form without cringing and ending not saving anything.

I'll look for yours :)

You don't HAVE to upload anything in Dreams and you don't HAVE to be good at it. You can still have fun messing around making dumb stuff on your own. I also only use this username on this forum. I'd never come on here with my real PSN or any other info.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and the morning cuz school
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Although tomorrow is Labor Day which means I won't go to class which means I'll sleep well.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    is labor day different in venezuela than in america, or did time skip that far?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm...