Homebrew Nintendo releases 11.16.0-48

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
I’m on Luma3DS v10.2-9 apparently, is it safe to install the newest Luma3DS before I do a system update?

Edit: I did just that, installed Luma3DS version 11, I had to do it offline manually because for some reason online would give me an error message then reboots the console if I tried to update Luma3DS, (it was as simple as downloading the file on PC from the official github page then copy/paste) then did a system update, seems to be working fine, tested a couple of pre-installed 3DS games, a Japanese 3DS game with an English patch, a GBA vc inject, my SuperCard SD Two with a DS Rom, and tested GodMod, everything seems to work fine.

However, I should mention when I fire up Luma3DS next to the version number it gives me a glitched number but starting it with select on startup it says version 11 but before the update both menus showed the correct version number, not sure what’s the cause of that or if this is something to be concerned about.

Last edited by sonictopfan,
Reactions: susbaconhairman

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
I’m on Luma3DS v10.2-9 apparently, is it safe to install the newest Luma3DS before I do a system update?

Edit: I did just that, installed Luma3DS version 11, I had to do it offline manually because for some reason online would give me an error message then reboots the console if I tried to update Luma3DS, (it was as simple as downloading the file on PC from the official github page then copy/paste) then did a system update, seems to be working fine, tested a couple of pre-installed 3DS games, a Japanese 3DS game with an English patch, a GBA vc inject, my SuperCard SD Two with a DS Rom, and tested GodMod, everything seems to work fine.

However, I should mention when I fire up Luma3DS next to the version number it gives me a glitched number but starting it with select on startup it says version 11 but before the update both menus showed the correct version number, not sure what’s the cause of that or if this is something to be concerned about.
Are you still using the Luma Updater? It's been broken (or at least iffy) for quite a while now, it's recommended to use Universal-Updater instead now.

By "glitched number" do you mean "80aee6fd" or something like that? If so you simply installed the hourly version instead of the stable release. That's the git commit.

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
Are you still using the Luma Updater? It's been broken (or at least iffy) for quite a while now, it's recommended to use Universal-Updater instead now.

By "glitched number" do you mean "80aee6fd" or something like that? If so you simply installed the hourly version instead of the stable release. That's the git commit.
Yes and yes, this is the version I used, should I switch to the stable version or is this version good to go?

AleronIves

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So from what I’m gathering here it’s safe to update but I need to also update Luma3D or is it unnecessary?
I was using 10.2.1 before. I don't think updating Luma to 11.0 is necessary; I just wanted the extra enhancements that have been made since 10.2.1, and now seemed like a good time to do the update. The last time Luma was updated to work around Nintendo's attempts to block CFW was 10.2.1, which fixed Luma on System Version 11.14 (and we're now on 11.16).

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
Yes and yes, this is the version I used, should I switch to the stable version or is this version good to go?
Huh, that version is the stable version... When I installed with Universal-Updater it just said v11.0 (no commit), but it's not really an issue that it says that so you should be fine.

Reactions: sonictopfan

Modular511

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It said my luma version is 10.3, (when I hold select on boot, says luma 10.3) Do I just update it to 11 with universal update, and then itll be safe to do the updat? if so can someone eli5 universal updater? (havent touched in awhile,, wanna b sure)

Last edited by Modular511,

AleronIves

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's quite easy to download 11.0 from GitHub and copy/paste the files to your SD card manually, so I don't see much reason to rely on an external updater program that itself may or may not be up to date.

Reactions: Modular511

Modular511

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's quite easy to download 11.0 from GitHub and copy/paste the files to your SD card manually, so I don't see much reason to rely on an external updater program that itself may or may not be up to date.
okie dokie! yeah doesnt the universal updater way also clear the boot options in luma? where do I stick it? just wanna make sure i do it right, already has the luma update

abruzzimarco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I was using 10.2.1 before. I don't think updating Luma to 11.0 is necessary; I just wanted the extra enhancements that have been made since 10.2.1, and now seemed like a good time to do the update. The last time Luma was updated to work around Nintendo's attempts to block CFW was 10.2.1, which fixed Luma on System Version 11.14 (and we're now on 11.16).
what about b9s? is it necessary to update it?

lilyuwuu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If you want to, go ahead (boot9strap 1.4 was released a few months ago and makes it easier to trouble issues with boot.firm on SD/CTRNAND). But as long as you're running boot9strap 1.2 and above (which you have to be if you're running Luma 8.0 or above) you're good to go.

TY! Yeah that is simple, Why do ppl use the updater if its just drag over?
The updater used to be the most user-friendly way to copy Luma's boot.firm to CTRNAND. Luma now does that itself as of Luma 11 (and Luma Updater broke anyway) so it's no longer really necessary to use an updater (though, Universal-Updater can update Luma just fine and have Luma take over on the CTRNAND copying front).

AleronIves

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The boot speed is increased by less than a second, and the LED has various notification patterns in 1.4. I didn't bother updating since those things don't matter to me, and updating requires more than just copying a file onto the SD card, the way it does with Luma.

TY! Yeah that is simple, Why do ppl use the updater if its just drag over?
Maybe they have older 3DS models where accessing the SD card is a pain? I have N2DS, so the SD and cartridge slots are equally accessible.

Modular511

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The boot speed is increased by less than a second, and the LED has various notification patterns in 1.4. I didn't bother updating since those things don't matter to me, and updating requires more than just copying a file onto the SD card, the way it does with Luma.

Maybe they have older 3DS models where accessing the SD card is a pain? I have N2DS, so the SD and cartridge slots are equally accessible.
OHHH YEAH THAT FOLLOWS! I have a new 3ds xl myself, needing a screwdriver is lulz

abruzzimarco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If you want to, go ahead (boot9strap 1.4 was released a few months ago and makes it easier to trouble issues with boot.firm on SD/CTRNAND). But as long as you're running boot9strap 1.2 and above (which you have to be if you're running Luma 8.0 or above) you're good to go.

Ah, no need. Thanks :D

Some lucky guy over at reddit lost all his installed games/titles after the update (post has been deleted). Faketik didn't work. The comment section keeps advising to update his already updated luma 11 (which obv is not the solution).
Did the 11.16 update mess his system up? Seems to be an sd issue, no?

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, most likely SD issue. 11.16 did not change anything relating to that, so it could not have been the cause of the issues.
And you can never trust what people have done. Somebody says they just dragged the new files over, but you never know whether they fat-fingered another key or if they thought 'ooh while I've got the SD card loaded, I'll try this out'. Could be anything.

Reactions: CoolMe

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did you feed the hamster in your internet router? It prob died and is running slow now.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, why did you start saying my pc has a hamster in the first place?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its actua!ly just a old joke, meaning its slow. Was just kidding around with you.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I bet @AncientBoi has some hamsters hidden somewhere tho....
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I think Game streaming should work like this.... Local Hardware able the run the game fine, game engine and common assets stored locally, all FMV and music and textures could be streaming
    +1
    Some temporary storage
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also @BigOnYa im making some progress on my gdevelop project, implemented various mechanics
    They went all in on streaming, should have been more of a hybrid approach
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or free government supplied high speed internet be nice also. Like Obama care. Xdqwerty that's cool, its time consuming but rewarding once done or playable, to see what you've made from scratch. Animations take forever, but worth it.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, although the bullets are a bit buggy
    +1
    Not to mention this would be a massive pain to pirate
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa,
    and the visual aspect of the game is quite crude (the sprite that looks best is that of the protagonist just because he is a stickman with sunglasses)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There is a bullets behaviour you assign to your character, that makes the code easier, under "behaviours"
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i meant that when the character is pointing to the right, the bullets spawn where they should, but when he is on the right, they move to the right but the spawn point is incorrect
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Itch.io has lots of free assets also. Under the bullets behavior tab, there is a "rotate bullets" option, can try that. Or in the code can try
    - fire bullet Player.X(PlayerDirection)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im taking a break for today anyway
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    YEa gotta after a while, looking at code for long periods will bug your eyes.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool tho, I'm proud of you going back to it, not giving up. It is difficult at first to learn, but fun once you get the hang of it. I think I've watched every tutorial video there is, but I still struggle sometimes to get stuff to work right. But gotta keep trying dif things, and eventually you will get it right.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol McDonald's has a grandma mcflurry
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, furry grandma?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It sounds good actually, I like butterscotch
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It sucked don't know wtf these little bits and pieces are they use now
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It sucked don't know wtf these little bits and pieces are they use now +1