Homebrew Nintendo now has a 3DS bug bounty page open

Alex658

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
It's not unsafe, it's just buggy. They'll eventually put it back in the guide after they figure out what caused the bricks.

Well, the main dev of implementing a9lh wasn't able to replicate the bugs. She believes it's made of random chance or something alike. Although I haven't read anything in regards of her quitting the investigation on the topic. So let's wait and see.
It's unsafe if you can't figure out what's failing on you. And n3ds aren't cheap dirt like to be throwing them out the window.
Weren't OTPless bricks unfixable? I don't recall anything about those bricks getting fixed via hardmod (Since i guess most users lacked one before attempting) I remember something about the keys being tweaked and in a vulnerable state while bricking, but that's it.

SaffronXL

The Grand Galactic Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe for the 3DS, sure, but I'm sure once the switch is released they'll update their profile and start giving out those $20k bounties
I'm holding out hope they've already hired a competent team of security engineers to devise a content management and access control scheme that is actually effective. If they plan on relying on the bounty system to keep the Switch secure, then they're on a one-way path to bankruptcy, which is a genuinely sad proposition.

Last edited by SaffronXL,

Raylight

Paranoid Temper
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Shietttt time to send Nintendo a report about freeshop and make da moneyz
they would be all over that and maybe even lift a ban for the info lol
then slap the ban back on after they get what they need and give your name to credit their new found knowledge so all hackers know who to go after lmao

Last edited by Raylight,

fodder

STARMAN
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm holding out hope they've already hired a competent team of security engineers to devise a content management and access control that is actually effective. If they plan on relying on the bounty system to keep the Switch secure, then they're on a one-way path to bankruptcy, which is a genuinely sad proposition.
Well yeah, I hope they can up their security themselves, but face it, every successful tech company has a bug bounty program, can't rely only on internal research

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's a little too late, Nintendo.
I can't wait for people to just copy and paste shit from 3dsbrew and spam Nintendo with that. Why? Because anyone who knows what they are doing, aren't going to turn themselves in.

SaffronXL

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The last part is kinda interesting:

Hardware vulnerabilities regarding the Nintendo 3DS™ family of systems
  • Low-cost cloning
  • Security key detection via information leaks
Does that mean there's an effort underway to build cheapo clone 3DSes? If so, interesting, and thanks for the heads up, Nintendo.

Astoria

Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
Yeah... I think this is a test for the Switch program.

A lot of potential Switch exploits will never be disclosed publically and instead sent to the bounty program.

If that possibility had existed before Homebrew Launcher, probably the 3DS scene wouldn't be as developed as it's today.

Last edited by Astoria,
Reactions: Deleted User

SaffronXL

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, so in addition to needing to hire competent security experts, they also need to hire someone who can write in English. Way to bend over to flash the world your unmentionables...

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/5uh_m4VgTY4