Nintendo Hires Lobbying Firm To Battle Gateway 3DS Sales in the US

luney

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The fact that such a thing as "lobbying firms" exists says a lot about the US political and government system.
Any american with even a small amount of knowledge about our government realizes this already. It's unfortunate but true. It's all about the almighty dollar. If you have enough money you can buy the right lobby firms that will then spend enough of your money to get any law passed that you want.

The legal system is just as bad here. With enough money you can afford to pay the right lawyer that will then pay the right "experts" and "witnesses" to testify any way they want. Without enough money, it's not innocent until proven guilty anymore. You are guilty unless you can afford to buy your innocence.

Sheimi

A cute Vixen!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another with 3ds piracy is that some people have "I don't like Nintendo, so I am gonna go download". I seen comments similar like that on youtube.

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Does anyone else find the term "illegally pirated" to be incredibly redundant?
Isn't pirated alone a term for illegally obtained content?
Considering that illegally obtaining goods is literally the only thing copyright violation has in common with maritime robbery in the first place, yes.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Gotta love the hate. Sky3DS releases a cart with a 10 games limit, people complain. Sky3DS releases a cart with no limit, people complain. Make up your minds, lads - it's the only cartridge that works on current firmware with online features and it's available right now. I understand that Gateway's promising an update that will far surpass what the Sky3DS offers, but that update is yet to be released, so as it stands today, you're dissing the only product on the market that even works on current systems.

As for the topic at hand, Nintendo should probably spend money on making games rather than combating a force they cannot possibly overcome. At the end of the day, even if the cart is officially outlawed, everything remains in the terribly incompetent hands of people working at customs who literally can't tell the difference between a legit and illegitimate cartridge, not to mention that they don't care. R4's have been outlawed in several countries at this point and I don't see them disappearing from the market - they're available and they're there to stay.

Reactions: Multiboy2k

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Piracy is a bigger problem than world hunger and terrorism combined ( if you don't think so just ask the RIAA or MPAA!)

(Jk)
Outlawing flash devices never made any sense to me whatsoever - they're only adapters for storage, they're not the cause of piracy in and out of themselves. It's the users who download illegal content as well as users who upload and share it who should be persecuted against, not the sellers of, essentially, SD adapters. You might as well start outlawing CD/DVD/BR burners while you're at it, those can be used for piracy too. It's the act of piracy that's a punishable offense, the tools used have nothing to do with the matter and saying otherwise is like saying that "people don't shoot people - guns do". Who pulls the trigger here, the shooter or the gun?

My stance hasn't changed over the years - users should have an unrevokable ability to backup and playback content that they legally own, and if console manufacturers do not provide them with such an option, they should be free to use third-party solutions in order to excercise their right to creating and using backups.

Nobody's kicking up a fuss when little Tommy buys a CD of his favourite band, shoves it into his laptop, adds the entire CD to his library on iTunes or Windows Media Player, removes the disc, puts it back in its jewel case and never touches it again, but when the same is done with a video game, this is suddenly a problem.

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Outlawing flash devices never made any sense to me whatsoever - they're only adapters for storage, they're not the cause of piracy in and out of themselves. It's the users who download illegal content as well as users who upload and share it who should be persecuted against, not the sellers of, essentially, SD adapters. You might as well start outlawing CD/DVD/BR burners while you're at it, those can be used for piracy too. My stance hasn't changed over the years - users should have an unrevokable ability to backup and playback content that they legally own, and if console manufacturers do not provide them with such an option, they should be free to use third-party solutions in order to excercise their right to creating and using backups. Nobody's kicking up a fuss when little Tommy buys a CD of his favourite band, shoves it into his laptop, adds the entire CD to his library on iTunes or Windows Media Player, removes the disc, puts it back in its jewel case and never touches it again, but when the same is done with a video game, this is suddenly a problem.
One issue nintendo (and other gaming companies) don't get is for example emulators and homebrew can use homebrew which is legal and other stuff. Secondly they don't contain commercial ROMs from the start so you could use one and never play a commercial rom. Then emulation really doesnt work that well consider the highest thing that can be emulated with out a gaming rig is probably Dreamcast which died over 10 years ago.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
One issue nintendo (and other gaming companies) don't get is for example emulators and homebrew can use homebrew which is legal and other stuff. Secondly they don't contain commercial ROMs from the start so you could use one and never play a commercial rom. Then emulation really doesnt work that well consider the highest thing that can be emulated with out a gaming rig is probably Dreamcast which died over 10 years ago.
I can understand why Nintendo would restrict launching unlicensed software on their system, this much doesn't bother me because I understand the motivation - they don't want to proliferate unlicensed software simply because developers would just release the games themselves (like Electronic Arts did back in the Mega Drive/Genesis days), however it would be nice if they provided an alternative. Sony's probably not a good example considering the PS3 era of fighting against all sorts of unlicensed software, but they weren't always like this (PS1 Net Yaroze, PS2 Linux Kit, PS3 OtherOS) and nowadays they're returing to the more lenient policies via PlayStation Mobile and a strong Indie movement. It's very easy to publish your own PlayStation content if you want to make a game for their systems, it's a bit more complicated with Nintendo.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can understand why Nintendo would restrict launching unlicensed software on their system, this much doesn't bother me because I understand the motivation - they don't want to proliferate unlicensed software simply because developers would just release the games themselves (like Electronic Arts did back in the Mega Drive/Genesis days), however it would be nice if they provided an alternative. Sony's probably not a good example considering the PS3 era of fighting against all sorts of unlicensed software, but they weren't always like this (PS1 Net Yaroze, PS2 Linux Kit, PS3 OtherOS) and nowadays they're returing to the more lenient policies via PlayStation Mobile and a strong Indie movement. It's very easy to publish your own PlayStation content if you want to make a game for their systems, it's a bit more complicated with Nintendo.
Yeah but the problem is IMO the homebrew and Indy groups are different and always will be. Sure i dont want indy companies to rely on homebrew for games when we have psn or what not but I do believe homebrew should be allowed for those who don't want to have game making as a career or who don't even have enough money to put their games on eshop or whatever

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yeah but the problem is IMO the homebrew and Indy groups are different and always will be. Sure i dont want indy companies to rely on homebrew for games when we have psn or what not but I do believe homebrew should be allowed for those who don't want to have game making as a career or who don't even have enough money to put their games on eshop or whatever
That's the thing about PSM - you don't have to publish your "homebrew" if you don't want to, you can just publish the source code and whoever wants to use it just has to run it on their machine - the SDK is free to download and until recently it was also free to use (not sure if it still is), so that's a pretty good alternative for homebrew devs. I've seen a couple really cool apps made in it, stuff like Remote Desktop and whatnot.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's the thing about PSM - you don't have to publish your "homebrew" if you don't want to, you can just publish the source code and whoever wants to use it just has to run it on their machine - the SDK is free to download and until recently it was also free to use (not sure if it still is), so that's a pretty good alternative for homebrew devs. I've seen a couple really cool apps made in it, stuff like Remote Desktop and whatnot.
I know but still not publishing your work can hurt although many times the underground is better . Personally I wish ps3 had a homebrew channel or what not as that would be great. Either way more companies need to stop overreacting when very few people will use stuff like gateway.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I know but still not publishing your work can hurt although many times the underground is better . Personally I wish ps3 had a homebrew channel or what not as that would be great. Either way more companies need to stop overreacting when very few people will use stuff like gateway.
It all comes down to the faulty logic of "if pirates won't be able to pirate, they will buy games". That's just not true in the great majority of cases - if "pirates won't be able to pirate", they won't give a flying cluck about the system and will wait until they can pirate, at which point they'll buy it - I know how it goes, I've been there myself. With the system in hand peeps at least toss Nintendo a few bucks for accessories of all sorts, not to mention that Nintendo systems often sell at a profit, so it's less of a problem for Nintendo than it is for Sony or Microsoft.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It all comes down to the faulty logic of "if pirates won't be able to pirate, they will buy games". That's just not true in the great majority of cases - if "pirates won't be able to pirate", they won't give a flying cluck about the system and will wait until they can pirate, at which point they'll buy it - I know how it goes, I've been there myself. With the system in hand peeps at least toss Nintendo a few bucks for accessories of all sorts, not to mention that Nintendo systems often sell at a profit, so it's less of a problem for Nintendo than it is for Sony or Microsoft.
Yeah thats true only issue they make is the so called "pirates" are a small minority (less then 3 percent ) and lack mainstream distrubuiton

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: someone is saying ultimate nes remix didn't had less games, it makes my brain hurts