Hacking Nintendo files lawsuits in crackdown against Switch hackers

arianadark

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo of America filed two lawsuits on Friday against Nintendo Switch hack resellers that sell software to play pirated video games, according to court documents obtained by Polygon.

The first lawsuit was filed Friday in an Ohio court against Tom Dilts Jr., the alleged operator of the website UberChips. The second lawsuit was filed in a Seattle court that same day, against a number of anonymous defendants from a selection of websites. All defendants reportedly sell products from a group of anonymous hackers called “Team Xecuter.” Nintendo’s lawyers described the products as “an unauthorized operating system ... and accompanying piracy tools that install it.”

These products allow users to get around Nintendo’s “technological protection measures” designed to protect its products from “unauthorized access and copying.” Once it’s disabled, players can download the unauthorized operating system and play pirated video games, lawyers said.

In an attempt to crackdown on the hacks, Nintendo is focusing its legal efforts on the resellers. In 2018, Nintendo filed a similar lawsuit against a Team Xecutor hack reseller. In January, it won an injunction against the defendant of that case, Sergio Mojarro Moreno, who was ordered to stop reselling the hacks. Likewise, Nintendo filed a lawsuit in September 2019 against a ROM website called RomUniverse, which allows members to download pirated video games for the system and others.

Polygon has reached out to Nintendo for more information.

At the time of writing, the UberChips website appears to be offline — under “scheduled maintenance.” Other websites listed in the second lawsuit are still operating. A kit used for hacking the Nintendo Switch is listed for $47.99. The site also sells products for the SNES Classic, PlayStation Mini, Nintendo 3DS, and Game Boy Advance.

The websites are also offering pre-orders for devices that will circumvent protection measures for the previously unhackable Nintendo Switch Lite and newer Nintendo Switch models. Nintendo said this is causing “tremendous harm” to the company; Nintendo lawyers said hundreds of the devices have already been sold.

Nintendo is seeking $2,500 per trafficking violation in each of these cases, as well as a permanent injunction to stop operations of these websites.

source polygon.com

Reactions: MeAndHax and Lacius

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Nintendo said this is causing “tremendous harm” to the company
Bullshit.
What fucking harm when they are already selling Switch consoles by the millions each month.
The only "harm" is that they can't fill their greed anymore as they wish.
You disgust me, Nintendo, you greedy fucks.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Code:
Nintendo is seeking $2,500 per trafficking violation in each of these cases, as well as a permanent injunction to stop operations of these websites.
Do they mean per bought item? Because that can't be per traffic visit right?

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bullshit.
What fucking harm when they are already selling Switch consoles by the millions each month.
The only "harm" is that they can't fill their greed anymore as they wish.
You disgust me, Nintendo, you greedy fucks.
Boi. Trying to stop people from selling kits to illegally pirate their games is not in any way greedy.
What is your deal?

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
If you wanted it to stop, then Nintendo should provide a better service like something similar to gamepass.

People would still pirate though if the can, perhaps some kind of dev/homebrew mode combined with letting hackers look at hardware pre-release might have reduced the chances of it being hacked.

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Homebrew bad, million dollar company with subpar online and games good.
Subpar games, my ass.
Homebrew isn't bad. Piracy is variable depending on opinion, but Nintendo has every right to try to take it down.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If you wanted it to stop, then Nintendo should provide a better service like something similar to gamepass.
"If you want us to stop shoplifting, you need to lower your prices."
See? This is bullshit.

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bullshit.
Idk, maybe the tens or hundreds of thousands of game sales that they're no longer making since people are pirating them instead? Not to mention that if piracy became bad enough, developers could decide the Switch wasn't worthwhile to develop for since their games would just be pirated instead of purchased. By your argument, why even sell the Switch for profit at all? That's just greedy. They could sell it at cost and still afford to pay everyone's salaries.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Subpar games, my ass.
Homebrew isn't bad. Piracy is variable depending on opinion, but Nintendo has every right to try to take it down.

"If you want us to stop shoplifting, you need to lower your prices."
See? This is bullshit.
Nintendo may have the right to take stuff down, but that does not mean it's right. Some Fanmade games are better than official games and the devs go on to become devs for big studios. And the more they take down homebrew and fan projects, the more I expect them to do better and have the games on their service.

I guess you haven't heard of black friday.

Last edited by Deleted member 512337,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Bets on the resulting court case will instead hinge about said mod shops maybe offering ROMs along with them.

Can't remember the last time I saw a Nintendo one go for the act of modding alone.

Reactions: peteruk

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Nintendo may have the right to take stuff down, but that does not mean it's right. Some Fanmade games are better than official games and the devs go on to become devs for big studios. And the more they take down homebrew and fan projects, the more I expect them to do better and have the games on their service.

Well...
Maintaining Your Trademark Rights
As you can see, there are many different ways to lose trademark rights.

Though it may seem obvious, it's worth emphasizing: Trademark offices are not monitoring the market for unauthorized use on your behalf. Maintaining the integrity of your mark, and preventing others from infringing, upon it is the responsibility of the trademark owner.
Source: https://www.trademarknow.com/blog/six-frustrating-ways-lose-trademark-rights

Reactions: ghjfdtg

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Been saying this for ages... Nintendo do things that forces people to hack their system like sell full price for 3 year old games. They are just retaliating because of the modchips are now out but it's too late. Either retire this device or just let things keep going.

People would still pirate though if the can, perhaps some kind of dev/homebrew mode combined with letting hackers look at hardware pre-release might have reduced the chances of it being hacked.

Look at Xbox One They have a DEV menu to run all retroarch and etc... and they never been hacked one if Nintendo care so much maybe they need better security . I'm still doubling down that next gen will not be cracked. Nobody cares about playing games from 20 years ago but Nintendo do because they want to resell you the same stuff Sony and Microsoft barely does this.

Last edited by Goku1992A,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by Deleted member 512337,

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

dude nintendo taking down fan games is the one thing about them that pisses ME off but this isn't about that
this was about nintendo cracking down on things like Team Xecuter's hacking stuff, which directly results in unauthorized use of systems to copy or pirate games.
something like AM2R isn't really breaking the law, but it is within Nintendo's legal rights to take it down due to use of their IP.
this literally IS breaking the law.

haha john carmack source code releases go brrr. Its like saying the dolphin team can't develop dolphin anymore because it's open source. It justs sound like untested court "theory".
You'd be surprised. Our legal system is so screwed up, sometimes it even has a negative effect on the huge-ass corporations it's usually biased towards!

Reactions: ghjfdtg

MeAndHax

Impolite person with some modding knowledge.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I sincerely hope they loose the case as always :)

Not many people buy modchips and we already had discussions about “how piracy kills sales” and this stupid “myth” has already been multiple times denounced. The conclusion is modchips DO NOT MAKE PRODUCERS broke, poor services do and Nintendo is the perfect example for a poor service.
Yet We can still find crybabies here in the thread.
I don’t understand.

Furthermore when I buy a console then this is my device, it should be my freedom to be able to do what I want to it because I paid for it. Nintendo can keep on banning, that’s okay but following people after it is simply disgusting. I thought we live in a free country and yet I’m not allowed to play around with a f*ckin thing that I bought?
Maybe instead of crying like a baby nintendo should step up their security?

FFA8D721-C897-41B9-B21C-96FE634D395B.gif
This is nintendo always when their poor security gets cracked “BuT tHiS iS nOt ALlOWeD wHy ThEy Do tHiS”

Last edited by MeAndHax,
Reactions: DarknessPlay3r

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...