Hacking Nintendo files lawsuits in crackdown against Switch hackers

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I sincerely hope they loose the case as always :)

Not many people buy modchips and we already had discussions about “how piracy kills sales” and this stupid “myth” has already been multiple times denounced. The conclusion is modchips DO NOT MAKE PRODUCERS broke, poor services do and Nintendo is the perfect example for a poor service.
Yet We can still find crybabies here in the thread.
I don’t understand.

Furthermore when I buy a console then this is my device, it should be my freedom to be able to do what I want to it because I paid for it. Nintendo can keep on banning, that’s okay but following people after it is simply disgusting. I thought we live in a free country and yet I’m not allowed to play around with a f*ckin thing that I bought?
Maybe instead of crying like a baby nintendo should step up their security?

View attachment 209575 This is nintendo always when their poor security gets cracked “BuT tHiS iS nOt ALlOWeD wHy ThEy Do tHiS”
1) In plenty of cases, piracy does seriously harm sales.
2) That's not how that works. You have the right to use your device... as per the End User License Agreement you agree to by buying and using it. (I should know- I always read it before breaking it! *wink*) And you certainly don't have the right to use it or anything else to pirate games, which is breaking the law.
3) Nintendo's security on the Switch is already damn strong. The account breach was quickly dealt with (and this is basically the best they could possibly make it without being downright user-invasive), and they've gone into overdrive with telemetry. Comparing 3DS and Switch hacking is like putting together two Lego bricks that fit together by default versus building a massive, hundred-thousand-piece elaborate sculpture.
4) Please stop. As someone that does whatever the hell I please with my hacked N3DS XL, you make us look bad.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) In plenty of cases, piracy does seriously harm sales.
2) That's not how that works. You have the right to use your device... as per the End User License Agreement you agree to by buying and using it. (I should know- I always read it before breaking it! *wink*) And you certainly don't have the right to use it or anything else to pirate games, which is breaking the law.
3) Nintendo's security on the Switch is already damn strong. The account breach was quickly dealt with (and this is basically the best they could possibly make it without being downright user-invasive), and they've gone into overdrive with telemetry. Comparing 3DS and Switch hacking is like putting together two Lego bricks that fit together by default versus building a massive, hundred-thousand-piece elaborate sculpture.
4) Please stop. As someone that does whatever the hell I please with my hacked N3DS XL, you make us look bad.
You arguments are boiling down to "If its legal, then its okay". In some states, I could shoot you if i asked you to leave my property and you did not. In some countries, I could legally harass someone who is homosexual.

Good videos

Last edited by Deleted member 512337,

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You arguments are boiling down to "If its legal, then its okay". In some states, I could shoot you if i asked you to leave my property and you did not. In some countries, I could legally harass someone who is homosexual.

Good videos

Nice straw man. Can you show me where you got such high quality straw?
But seriously, there's a difference between "if it's legal it's okay" and "people have the right to stop others from basically stealing their products". Whatever your opinion on piracy is, Nintendo has both the legal AND moral right to crack down on it.
Piracy is quite literally digital theft- and I doubt any actual thieves would act like the places they steal from or the police don't have the right to stop them.
Get your head out of your "customer is always right even when they break the law" ass.

Reactions: tivu100

MeAndHax

Impolite person with some modding knowledge.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nice straw man. Can you show me where you got such high quality straw?
But seriously, there's a difference between "if it's legal it's okay" and "people have the right to stop others from basically stealing their products". Whatever your opinion on piracy is, Nintendo has both the legal AND moral right to crack down on it.
Piracy is quite literally digital theft- and I doubt any actual thieves would act like the places they steal from or the police don't have the right to stop them.
Get your head out of your "customer is always right even when they break the law" ass.
Source: https://gbatemp.net/threads/piracy-common-myths.344858/

Piracy kills game systems.
There is no correlation between systems that fail (or succeed) and piracy. Multiple systems have failed terribly without any piracy in their lifetime (Virtual Boy, N-Gage, CD-i), while other systems that had piracy enabled for the majority of their lifetime ended up being some of the top sellers of their generation (PS1, Wii, GBA, DS, etc.)

This holds true for games as well, for example the PS3 was the last console of the 7th generation to be hacked (and patched the hacks quickly and recent models are unhackable), yet it sold many less games than the Wii, which was the first to be hacked (and does not patch hacks quickly, and still has hackable models being sold).”

Piracy does not kill sales. People who have the money will buy it regardless and people who don’t and pirate it wouldn’t have bought it even if it didn’t exist.

Last edited by MeAndHax,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice straw man. Can you show me where you got such high quality straw?to

"We think there is a fundamental misconception about piracy. Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem. If a pirate offers a product anywhere in the world, 24 x 7, purchasable from the convenience of your personal computer, and the legal provider says the product is region-locked, will come to your country 3 months after the US release, and can only be purchased at a brick and mortar store, then the pirate's service is more valuable."

"Our success comes from making sure that both customers and partners (e.g. Activision, Take 2, Ubisoft...) feel like they get a lot of value from those services, and that they can trust us not to take advantage of the relationship that we have with them."

Gabe Newell, 2011

Please stop acting as if Nintendo has any grounds to stand off other than that they own the ip. You can't do shit with a pirated steam game, but you can do everything and more with a pirated switch game.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't heard of Nintendo losing a case against a reseller of flashcarts/modchips.
Mind linking me to a few of them?
tbf I could say that the other way around, but most times whenever nintendo threatens legal action against something they stop because they don't have money to fight nintendo's legal team, not that nintendo won a case or anything. Bleemcast was proven to be a legal ps1 emulator for the dreamcast, but bleem shut down because they went bankrupt after they fought sony.

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tbf I could say that the other way around, but most times whenever nintendo threatens legal action against something they stop because they don't have money to fight nintendo's legal team, not that nintendo won a case or anything. Bleemcast was proven to be a legal ps1 emulator for the dreamcast, but bleem shut down because they went bankrupt after they fought sony.
Damn that blows.
Sucks that so many things live in a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario when it comes to proving the legality of a project.

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"We think there is a fundamental misconception about piracy. Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem. If a pirate offers a product anywhere in the world, 24 x 7, purchasable from the convenience of your personal computer, and the legal provider says the product is region-locked, will come to your country 3 months after the US release, and can only be purchased at a brick and mortar store, then the pirate's service is more valuable."

"Our success comes from making sure that both customers and partners (e.g. Activision, Take 2, Ubisoft...) feel like they get a lot of value from those services, and that they can trust us not to take advantage of the relationship that we have with them."

Gabe Newell, 2011

Please stop acting as if Nintendo has any grounds to stand off other than that they own the ip. You can't do shit with a pirated steam game, but you can do everything and more with a pirated switch game.
The fact that it's their IP, their system and (sometimes) their games are all the grounds they need.

Whitak3r

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They would made 0 dollars off of me without exploits. The only reason I originally bought a switch is because of RCM. I would have NEVER bought a switch console (let alone 4) if it wasn't for the exploits that came out. I would have NEVER bought a game in the first place. Now I own many, across many switches.

I know this is ONLY my use case, and many people who DID already own a switch went ahead and pirated games that they MAY have bought...

Now I've invested all this money into consoles and games, and they sit there. I'm not complaining, the system is great. It's also good for home brew.

I know Nintendo doesn't look at it like this, but there has to be other people like me.

Edit: I understand that my measly purchases mean NOTHING to Nintendo. 4 switches is a drop in the ocean.

Last edited by Whitak3r,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The fact that it's their IP, their system and (sometimes) their games are all the grounds they need.
I mean legally yeah, but does that mean that nintendo has every right to kill every rom hack, emulator, homebrew software, preservation sites, and ports? If anything, they can only benefit nintendo because they make games no one would care about available in modern forms( AND THEY GET MONEY FROM STUFF THAT IS FREE). Ninty would have never brought earthbound to wii u if no one emulated it. They would have never brought back starfox 2 if the rom didn't leak. No one would care about the entire mother series in general without rom dumping and emulation. I'm sorry, no one is going to buy an old console that won't connect to their tv with dated visuals. 90% of nintendo's library isn't even sold anymore and will likely never be sold. Please understand why someone would be angry about nintendo's circumvention of such software.

Reactions: YuukiON

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean legally yeah, but does that mean that nintendo has every right to kill every rom hack, emulator, homebrew software, preservation sites, and ports? If anything, they can only benefit nintendo because they make games no one would care about available in modern forms( AND THEY GET MONEY FROM STUFF THAT IS FREE). Ninty would have never brought earthbound to wii u if no one emulated it. They would have never brought back starfox 2 if the rom didn't leak. No one would care about the entire mother series in general without rom dumping and emulation. I'm sorry, no one is going to buy an old console that won't connect to their tv with dated visuals. 90% of nintendo's library isn't even sold anymore and will likely never be sold. Please understand why someone would be angry about nintendo's circumvention of such software.
I understand your viewpoint.
It's wrong (and kinda ironic you say "won't connect to their tv" when this is the Switch we're talking about, also 720/1080p isn't all that dated), but I understand it.

D

Deleted User

Nintendo's lawyers must be rubbing their hands with glee at all these lawsuits.

brd55

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They would made 0 dollars off of me without exploits. The only reason I originally bought a switch is because of RCM. I would have NEVER bought a switch console (let alone 4) if it wasn't for the exploits that came out. I would have NEVER bought a game in the first place. Now I own many, across many switches.

I know this is ONLY my use case, and many people who DID already own a switch went ahead and pirated games that they MAY have bought...

Now I've invested all this money into consoles and games, and they sit there. I'm not complaining, the system is great. It's also good for home brew.

I know Nintendo doesn't look at it like this, but there has to be other people like me.

Edit: I understand that my measly purchases mean NOTHING to Nintendo. 4 switches is a drop in the ocean.
It’s still totally anecdotal, but I’ve spent more on 3ds games because of homebrew. And with their handling of save files, I won’t be buying a Switch until its homebrew is in a place I’m happy with.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: ye