Nintendo has taken down the Link's Awakening fan remake

IMG_20231215_075251_847.jpg

Unsurprisingly, Nintendo of America has gone after the Link's Awakening DX HD fan project, less than a day after the fangame gained publicity online. Once hosted on Itch.io, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX HD has been removed from the platform, following a DMCA takedown from Nintendo. The notice, shown below, cites copyright infringement for uploading a fully playable version of a Nintendo game. The Link's Awakening fangame was uploaded only after it was completed, though, meaning a backup likely still lurks somewhere on the internet.

To Whom It May Concern:

I am an authorized representative of Nintendo of America Inc., owner of the following copyrighted material:

PA0002212311 (The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening) and PA0000772666 (Legend of Zelda : Link's awakening (Game Boy version).

It has come to our attention that the following game, https://linksawakeningdxhd.itch.io/links-awakening-dx-hd, offered on Itch.io infringes and makes unauthorized use of Nintendo’s copyrights in The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening video game.

For additional information visit Nintendo’s website at the following URLs:

https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/products/game-boy-nintendo-switch-online-switc...

https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/products/the-legend-of-zelda-links-awakening-s...

Please act expeditiously to remove the download and information page for the infringing game.

I have a good faith belief that the material is not authorized by the intellectual property owner, its agent, or the law. The information provided in the notice is accurate, and I swear under penalty of perjury that I am authorized to make the complaint on behalf of the intellectual property owner.

Sincerely,

Nintendo Legal

Nintendo of America Inc.

:arrow: Source

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo allowed for its development and took the game down after release. It isn't as bad as people make it to be.
I don't think they're allowed to quash projects mid-development, since they can't confirm if there's copyright infringement until the game is out. For legal reasons. I think.

Reactions: Ligeia

GolfDude

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Simple: Dont support Nintendo for next console system and games in the future. Let them bankrupted then. That's why I sold Nintendo Switch 1 Generation system. Nintendo is done! They are cruel company! Hello Sony and Microsoft!
so your ok with a company that deletes your purchased products under the guise of TOS? dont be such a sony shill..

Desconocido90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It was inevitable... the fan remake included the original copyrighted assets, including sprites and music...

But it's a pity we'll never see more updates... it was an amazing remake, superior to emulating the original.

It really shows how much a recreation of a retro game with the same assets can surpass the original.

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
How to make Nintendo fangames:

1- Make your game load the resources externally.
2- Post the source on github without said resources, but name the game rom one might use to extract them and compile the game.
3- Done, that's it. You've made a fangame Nintendo can't touch.

It's been this way for years, yet people still make the novice mistake of releasing the game with the copyrighted assets, just to receive the inevitable C&D shortly thereafter.

sith

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as others said, the developer asked for it and it was obviously going to happen, hell gbatemp called it a link to piracy like 30 minutes after they posted the news.. if the developer wanted to have a legal footing they would have had you supply the rom/assets.

I play switch online emulators without the subscription
why would you do that, if you have cfw, you should use a proper emulator.

Hyper_Shadic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
as others said, the developer asked for it and it was obviously going to happen, hell gbatemp called it a link to piracy like 30 minutes after they posted the news.. if the developer wanted to have a legal footing they would have had you supply the rom/assets.

why would you do that, if you have cfw, you should use a proper emulator.
can you recommend me one then

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yes you did originally say grilled