Game Boy and Game Boy Advance games are coming to Nintendo Switch Online

Those that subscribe to Nintendo Switch Online will be able to play Game Boy games on their Switch, later today. Tetris, Super Mario Land 2, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX, Gargoyle's Quest, Game & Watch Gallery 3, Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare, Metroid II, Wario Land 3 and Kirby's Dreamland will all be available. You can use various filters to mimic the look of various versions of Game Boy. Online play is supported, too.

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons, Ages, Pokemon: TCG, Kirby's Tilt and Tumble, and more are on the way later.

GBA games can be played by those who are a part of the NSO Expansion Pack. Those games today are, Super Mario Advance 4, WarioWare Inc., Kuru Kuru Kururin, Mario Kart: Super Circuit, Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga, and Zelda: The Minish Cap. Games like Metroid: Fusion, Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, F-Zero Maximum Velocity, Fire Emblem, and Golden Sun will come later.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
NIntendo can´t fix retro market lol.

Nobody buy a glorified repro, look retro-bit cartridges.
It’s because they’re not official… Are you arguing just for the sake of it? You can’t argue about the state of the retro market if you’re not open to accepting that piracy isn’t the end-all fix for that issue.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Ducolamia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, cause then you would complain about there not being more updates
???
What are you talking about?
Nintendo is the main publisher of these games. It's not like there's an issue with the rights or anything like that, which would be understandable. Heck, one of the games the showed, Mario Superstar Saga, is from a developer that is now defunct. They could easily put more on the platform, but they don't want to (for whatever reason).

There absolutely should be more updates to justify the sub model. If you're only getting a few games every once in awhile (which is still less in comparison to the full library of the previous VCs) then yeah, I'd expect a bit more to justify the price. That's why I mentioned that some people would find this more acceptable to justify their purchase (if they haven't paid for it already).

Whether people like to admit it or not, Nintendo's competition is going to be someone being able to run GBA games on their old tablet or phone as well as keeping those games. When Nintendo Online goes down, so do those games. So you either play as much as you can to get your money's worth or emulate older titles to not worry about it.

Nicolate

Trophies
Website
nicolate.carrd.co
XP
Country
Switzerland
Just found out that they added rumble support to the emulator

I tried enabling it for shits and gigs in superstar saga and it seems to be working perfectly!
Very curious about this.
What did you change to enable it?

Edit: I originally thought this was enabled on the files of the emulator but it's just a toggle inside certain games so never mind

Last edited by Nicolate,

PacBunnyXV07

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So they're gonna release a gba game called Kuru Kururin that was never released in America so do you think Nintendo is actually gonna release Mother 3?

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
listen. it's an easily accessible way of playing super star saga with rumble support. I'll gladly be called a nintendo shill for being happy about this being announced

Reactions: mightymuffy

Dude06

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
My nso is all in what i assume japanese, anyone else have the same problem? My region is set to us, so no idea why this is happening
EDIT: Nvm, downloaded the jp version

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
RetroArch, for that SAME console, emulates EVERY 2D retro system faaaaar better than this crap!
Not to mention endless options, controlls, backing up saves FOR FREE, and most importantly shaders. They all just work and look phenomenal. Not only that but you decide how big the screen will be, where it will be, aspect ratio.... and so on and on and on....
Not to mention also the 10 games they announced...pathetic.
Also, you can play offline. :)

I don't see any point to justify this crap of emulator, let alone paying in 50$ of money for RENTING!

Only good thing though is Metroid Prime Remaster, ill be getting that on cartridge for sure!!! I already got digital as soon it was announced! Phenomenal remaster! (unlike that mercury steam crap Metroid Dread)

Great job Retro!

Pandaxclone2

Pokemon Sprite Artist Hobbyist
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Main question I've got is if any of the Game Boy games have ACE (Arbitrary Code Execution) and if so, could you do anything with that in terms of Switch? (I'm guessing it's probably sandboxed/wrapped anyway, but still.)

britain4

Trophies
XP
Country
90%+ of Switch owners are going to be people who either don’t care or don’t know how to emulate, even fewer have a hacked Switch to run emulators on, so this makes sense.

I’d be happy to pay for an “official” way of running these games, my issue is the selection is small and the two tier system seems a little unnecessary

ColdBlitz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Those that subscribe to Nintendo Switch Online will be able to play Game Boy games on their Switch, later today. Tetris, Super Mario Land 2, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX, Gargoyle's Quest, Game & Watch Gallery 3, Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare, Metroid II, Wario Land 3 and Kirby's Dreamland will all be available. You can use various filters to mimic the look of various versions of Game Boy. Online play is supported, too.

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons, Ages, Pokemon: TCG, Kirby's Tilt and Tumble, and more are on the way later.

GBA games can be played by those who are a part of the NSO Expansion Pack. Those games today are, Super Mario Advance 4, WarioWare Inc., Kuru Kuru Kururin, Mario Kart: Super Circuit, Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga, and Zelda: The Minish Cap. Games like Metroid: Fusion, Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, F-Zero Maximum Velocity, Fire Emblem, and Golden Sun will come later.

the only reason someone would want to pay an extra £50 is the online and even then thats available in forms of parsec with a gba emulator and retroarch netplay which also allows you to do with a switch and alot of other consoles too
Emulators:1
Nintendo:0
Post automatically merged:

90%+ of Switch owners are going to be people who either don’t care or don’t know how to emulate, even fewer have a hacked Switch to run emulators on, so this makes sense.

I’d be happy to pay for an “official” way of running these games, my issue is the selection is small and the two tier system seems a little unnecessary
yep around £70 just for gba and gameboy games

Last edited by ColdBlitz,
Reactions: Bladexdsl

pokota

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not quite as bad as "£70 just for gba and gameboy games" since paying to get GBA also gets you N64 (which to my knowledge Switch Retroarch can't do yet, which is the main reason I'm still paying for it) and a handful of DLC that you can pay for in installments.

Still a crappy subscription model, but better than nothing.

ColdBlitz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not quite as bad as "£70 just for gba and gameboy games" since paying to get GBA also gets you N64 (which to my knowledge Switch Retroarch can't do yet, which is the main reason I'm still paying for it) and a handful of DLC that you can pay for in installments.

Still a crappy subscription model, but better than nothing.
yea as if just boot android on the switch and you can easily find an n64 emulator easily hell even go for ds,3ds,gamecube and dolphin while you're at it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Maybe but is it worth it?