Gaming Nintendo has explained why Splatoon has no voice chat.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Nintendo's a gaming company not god damn parents of brats, plus in that regard there's the fucking Parental Control feature to block them from accessing other content/features.

As long as Nintendo keeps this backwards mentality they'll never be looked as more than a kiddy console with crappy games and a ton of yearly Mario games.

1. New Super Mario Bros. U
  2. New Super Luigi U (reskinned NSMBU as if it were a Luigi game)

1. Super Mario 3D World

1. Mario Kart 8

1. Mario Party 10
  2. Mario Vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars
  3. Mario Maker
Wouldn't be surprised if they were yet to reveal another Mario game on the Wii U for this year.
I don't really have a problem with Nintendo having an all-ages audience. This is kind of their thing and they're great at doing it.
Sure there are lot of Mario games, but most of them are undeniably great games. I think the problem is that people expect Nintendo to create an entire ecosystem of games by themselves... Nintendo themselves try their best to give their costumers all kind of different games, but they're only one company. That's where third party developers must enter to fill the void... Since the Wii U is not receiving much third party support, it's a matter of weighting pros and cons.

What I don't agree though is that they restrict their games and sometimes their entire platform so much trying to protect children. It's not Nintendo's duty to care what children are doing, parents are the one that must take care of their children.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
This is kind of their thing and they're great at doing it.
Releasing the same games with some improvements?

But most of them are undeniably great games.
Going by that list -- New Super Mario Bros. U, New Super Luigi U and Mario Party 10 are great games? They can be fun but calling them 'great' is a tad too far.

Nintendo themselves try their best to give their costumers all kind of different games
Mostly Mario platformers (3DS/Wii U), yearly Mario games (3DS/Wii U), some Zelda (3DS) and Pokémon (3DS). Kirby and Yoshi don't get platforming games too often unlike Mario.

Since the Wii U is not receiving much third party support
There's only Bandai Namco left as far as quality 3rd publishers go.

Nintendo is garbage at advertising the Wii U (or whatever else) and its fanboys don't help since they never bought 3rd party games so it's why almost all 3rd party publishers left the Wii U in the dust. They need to change their attitude if they actually want to acquire new customers.

So yeah, while I enjoy Mario games on Nintendo it doesn't mean that the only fucking franchise they should pay attention to should be Mario. There's others instead of Mario!

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't really have a problem with Nintendo having an all-ages audience. This is kind of their thing and they're great at doing it.
Sure there are lot of Mario games, but most of them are undeniably great games. I think the problem is that people expect Nintendo to create an entire ecosystem of games by themselves... Nintendo themselves try their best to give their costumers all kind of different games, but they're only one company. That's where third party developers must enter to fill the void... Since the Wii U is not receiving much third party support, it's a matter of weighting pros and cons.

What I don't agree though is that they restrict their games and sometimes their entire platform so much trying to protect children. It's not Nintendo's duty to care what children are doing, parents are the one that must take care of their children.

No offense but Sony has had a well-rounded roster of games for all ages since the fucking Playstation. I mean they're still able to produce family-friendly titles like LittleBigPlanet or SingStar right next to mature audience games like Bloodborne and Uncharted. SCE is still "just one company" but produces an array of titles aimed at different demographics.

Nintendo is lazy and still deluded into thinking it's their hayday. They think if they produce "fun for all ages" titles like Mario Kart that they can sell to everyone with one game. Why bother selling a single game to a single demographic when you can sell a single game to every demographic? And it worked great for the Wii, but they have nothing new to keep people buying this. Instead, all their games come up this boring beige flavor. It's unexciting, it's exactly what you expect. They don't produce flawed games or games that falter, but they can't create anything memorable any more. It's just cookie cutter games from the same franchises that have been churning out games since the 80's.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Then what about the kids who play online on PlayStation and Xbox? I guess the parents of those have a better idea of what the Parental Control feature does and what kind of talks happen onlin.
They certainly have a better idea regarding which console to buy for their children. ;O;

/Shots fired, waiting for the Nintendrone Damage Control Forces to show up.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The game looks like it's aimed at 10-12 year olds, and given CoD has already shown us what that looks like...
Nintendo is so far behind in online features though that it's just not even slightly surprising it has no voice chat. It'd probably sound like everyone was talking through a potato even if it did work.

Regardless, in this day and age for an online game it should have voice chat. Just have it off by default and little kiddies will never know. This game looks craptastic so i'm not sure why anyone cares though.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
No offense but Sony has had a well-rounded roster of games for all ages since the fucking Playstation. I mean they're still able to produce family-friendly titles like LittleBigPlanet or SingStar right next to mature audience games like Bloodborne and Uncharted. SCE is still "just one company" but produces an array of titles aimed at different demographics.

Nintendo is lazy and still deluded into thinking it's their hayday. They think if they produce "fun for all ages" titles like Mario Kart that they can sell to everyone with one game. Why bother selling a single game to a single demographic when you can sell a single game to every demographic? And it worked great for the Wii, but they have nothing new to keep people buying this. Instead, all their games come up this boring beige flavor. It's unexciting, it's exactly what you expect. They don't produce flawed games or games that falter, but they can't create anything memorable any more. It's just cookie cutter games from the same franchises that have been churning out games since the 80's.

You have a point there but I wasn't meaning to compare Sony to Nintendo.

Anyway since you brought up Sony, I thought they indeed had a great and well-rounded roster of games for all ages on the PS1. On the PS2 and the PS3 though focus shifted for an adult audience, which makes sense since nowadays the average player is a male adult on their 30s. Sony does try to bring games to younger demographic, but I personally don't think Sony is as good as Nintendo in making these king of games. In the same way, Nintendo is not as good as Sony in making mature titles.

As for if Nintendo games are good,innovative, exciting or not and etctera I think it's entirely a matter of taste. I like bright, colorful games with focus on gameplay rather than story. I believe a game can be deep and change the way we think about the world without having to be a Greek tragedy. And, I'll even admit that Sony might be the best choice for most players, but I believe that Nintendo software and hardware have their space in the market and I don't believe that if Nintendo and its games ceased to exist the gaming industry would be better

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Nintendo can even ban morse code chat because of that.
It is not surprising at all.
I played a couple of Smash Wii U online matches yesterday and they were all so damn laggy, I could've sworn that a few months ago I didn't had this issue. Nintendo really needs to get their primitive online service up to today's standards.

The problem isn't even mine, I don't recall ever having lagged matches while playing Mario Kart 8.

Brunho

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I played a couple of Smash Wii U online matches yesterday and they were all so damn laggy, I could've sworn that a few months ago I didn't had this issue. Nintendo really needs to get their primitive online service up to today's standards.

The problem isn't even mine, I don't recall ever having lagged matches while playing Mario Kart 8.

Probably a lot of people came back to online because of Mewtwo and the new balance patch and it was too much stress for the old-age Nintendo servers. I´m not even trying online until the "Mewtwo hype" settles down a little.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know Costco has been expanding into Europe and they don't carry much Wii U stuff but I just preordered it from their website for $52 with tax and shipping it comes to $57. Probably won't get it until a few days after release but it is the best price here I can find.

The icing on the cake is their 100% satisfaction guarantee. I can return it to the store if I don't like it and there really is not a time limit. For TVs and other electronics they have a 90 day return policy.

I don't know what the policies in other countries are but being able to return a video game for a full refund just because you are not satisfied is unheard of in the U.S.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)