Gaming Nintendo 3DS in 5 years time?

Weaselpipe

Erratic Temp user
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry folkies, but Nintendo isn't a phone company. Nobody use facetime on iPhone,...

Pip'

Agreed, why must every gadget be all-encompassing? Look at Sony Ericsson- a company who make a gaming phone that isn't as good as a PSP, camera phones that aren't as good as Sony digital camera's and Walkman phones that aren't as good as their own MP3 players.... Do we really want Nintendo to just become a gadget company? I would NEVER use video chat on a 3DS- I would use a messenger occasionally but there is no point to video chat at all. Name one thing the 3DS does for which it would be useful. You can't, can you?

Another thing that keeps getting bought up is youtube- if youtube and Nintendo combined their forces to make a 3D video uploading and watching service, that would be pretty cool. However it is more likely that Nintendo would make their own video hosting on club Nintendo so they could keep tabs on what was happening (not a bad thing- if they had competitions and a 3D flipnote style application they would encourage a lot of creativity and innovative uses for 3D).

5 years from now we'll have a lot of quality games (and many bad ones). That is the main point of the 3DS, just that

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Name one thing the 3DS does for which it would be useful.
SMCFu.jpg

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
In fairness you tend to see mountains of shovelware on successful consoles. This means the 3DS will have little shovelware.

Whether the 3DS is successful or not is really up to opinion, I'm not trying to say "yeaahh the 3DS is the best handheld ever!" all I'm trying to say is that its a pretty decent handheld. Shovelware was everywhere since the beginning, but again where getting slightly off-topic.

Welcome to GBAtemp in regards of going a little off-topic (though this isn't even bad).

But regarding the matter, I'd say any console can be a success if the games are worth buying the console. If not, it just won't sell on the long run. As for new possibilities on the console, regard it as a handheld and not a console on a TV. Not everything is possible at current firmware levels (coding may hamper some properties for applications). Apps are probably going to be something added in the long run (not all games need to be physical copies, especially if it's only a few mb in size). Only Nintendo can tell if there ever will be a SDK or not, which could lead to a lot of indie games (ie. homebrew in a way).

-Qtis

EDIT: A SDK for everyone, not just those who are willing to pay lots of $$ for it. Of course there is a software dev kit for anyone who has money to buy one (and actually wants to do so).

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3DS is on that slow start, the same as DS. Within a year or two I expect a lot more people will own one and there to be a very solid library of games. In 5 years everyone has one.

That it dead wrong. I had the original ds model from the day it came out. After 2 years it's library still barely anything. It wasn't til the 3rd quarter of it's third year, when it finally got a pick me up. This was around the time pokemon hit the ds for america.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
That's a game, not a standalone app- games utilising video chat in that manner are a different kettle of fish to a skype-esque application so you can chat to your friends
But you said to "name one thing that the 3DS does, where video chat would be useful." Games are something the 3DS does, where some people might like to have a video chat option.

And that's also true for a standalone app. You may not be interested in video chat, but many people are. Why not make it? All the hardware (and half the software) is already there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @NinStar, why you hurting your sisters