ROM Hack Ninokuni: Shikkoku no Madoushi - Translation Project

ouioui2003

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hey people! Now I have some free time again I want to help.

The spanish translation is going so well. We have some new translators and a good rithm. At this moment we have translated about the 60% of the game (until Borg city).
From the time I started working in this project, I wanted to translate it to english too, so I would be very interesting in working in a team to do it. I know how to translate everything and all the tools are done.

About the PS3 book, I did some tools time ago to extract it (they work with the japaneses and multi5 version of the game):
First you have to extract the file: gvd.dat from the file hd05_es.adat (for the spanish book) using this tool (just drag & drop the file)
Then using this other tool you can extract the book images (and convert to pdf too!).

PD : I'm working now in a way to extract some text from the PS3 game like the monster and spells names to use them in the translation. The problem is I think that all the text are inside of the file hs06_es.adat.sdat which is encrypted and as far I have read the only way to decrypt it is executing a program (SdatExt) in a hacked PS3 but unfortunately I don't have that console. Anyone could help us with that?

Hi Pleonex, please to see you again here !!

Like the IE3 project will be halted soon, we plan to do the french version of this DS game. Me too, i can help for the english one, and will be please to work with someone else in a team. Is there a way to have access to spanish work, to perform convert in french (and in english if needed) ?? We work quickly and always try to do our best.

StorMyu

"I'm way too old for this"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Don't you dare translate from a translated version, or my french boots will end up in your french a** ouioui :evil:

pleonex

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Switzerland
Hi Pleonex, please to see you again here !!

Like the IE3 project will be halted soon, we plan to do the french version of this DS game. Me too, i can help for the english one, and will be please to work with someone else in a team. Is there a way to have access to spanish work, to perform convert in french (and in english if needed) ?? We work quickly and always try to do our best.
Sorry ouioui but I'm not for a retranslation, only Japanese->French. So if you want to do it, you'll have to wait until the tools are release.
For the English project we won't use either any file from the Spanish project.

ouioui2003

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Don't you dare translate from a translated version, or my french boots will end up in your french a** ouioui :evil:

Sorry ouioui but I'm not for a retranslation, only Japanese->French. So if you want to do it, you'll have to wait until the tools are release.
For the English project we won't use either any file from the Spanish project.

??? :huh:
Sorry to boring you, guys. I will take care of my a**, StorMyu.
I have just imagine to "take" french textuals in ps3 and inject it in DS.
So no translation Japanese->French, and also no Spanish->French or else.
Only Level-5 "validated" textuals...
It isn't what you have plan to do on the English patch ?
My question is only to re-use know-how and facilitate the pooling...
I haven't seen French project on the web for this game.
Maybe StorMyu, you plan something like that somewhere, and that explain why you're so... offensive.
if so, i could simply let you do that. There are many games.
Ok, in few weeks, i will (re)study files on my own for graphical materials, because all of these need to be "redrawn" for the french version.

pleonex

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Switzerland
You can't do that since the PS3 and DS are more different than it seems. I wanted the PS3 texts to extract only the items and familiars names, only those names, no any other dialog or text. In the English translation, finally we won't do that.

StorMyu

"I'm way too old for this"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
No, I don't plan to do it, and it was a joke. But as PleoNex said, I don't like translation from a translation, if you "guys" can provide a Japanese to French translator then fine.
And if they do put Ps3 text into Ds, yeah I'll be happy to help.

Edit: Then no apparently =p

ouioui2003

Trophies
XP
Country
France
You can't do that since the PS3 and DS are more different than it seems. I wanted the PS3 texts to extract only the items and familiars names, only those names, no any other dialog or text. In the English translation, finally we won't do that.

You think
- different because the story is different,
- different because the textuals can't fit,

Lip' and I are enough crazy to play the two games in the same time and put manually textuals things in DS if we have the good tool to do so !

pleonex

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Switzerland
It's just that they are two different games, starting from the title.
It's a similar story, yeah, but the scenes are quite different. There are some spells, familiars, items... that only appear in the DS version and other only in the PS3. If you read some posts in this thead you'll get the same conclusion.

Sohakes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I love you guys!

I'm waiting for this for a really long long time! I would help if I knew japanese or if I was a native english speaker.

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
You think
- different because the story is different,
- different because the textuals can't fit,

Lip' and I are enough crazy to play the two games in the same time and put manually textuals things in DS if we have the good tool to do so !

First of all I apologize for my absence but a virus recently infected my PC so I have been unable to do anything last 3 days..

Do not know if it wasn't clear enough before but the DS version is different from the PS3 version.
The quests are all different, and while the general "story axle" as Hino himself said is the same, a LOT of details, from the start to the ending of Jabo (Shadar) arc are different altogether.
Remember that destroyed Xanadu kingdom that got a passing mention? That's like a whole continent with 3 main locations exclusive to the DS version, replaced by Teehiti island. The dream world, Moya tower, the knights, a LOT of Imagen are also DS exclusive. The time breach spell isn't used too (outside of a certain "memory" flashback story event) and the events are totally different from that part until the 3-dungeon quest. Not that the rest of the "shared" events isn't different too in a lot of details.
It's impractical and useless to rely on injecting the PS3 text dump. Even the book needs to have some parts retranslated since the PS3 JP version and its translations omitted info crucial to the DS opus. You can see the previous posts for details.

I did a video a while ago to illustrate some of the more glaring differences. Don't worry about the scrappy move translation and the missing battle text, it's not final, and it's from before we got that part properly translated by scott.ender.

----
About the tool: Tinke already has all what you need to edit all the text (good old hex editor, beware of length limitations though: pleonex has kindly lent us his help to overcome this particular issue -- you must decompress the overlays to translate their text), fonts and tile based graphics (Import/Export button, and Photoshop with restricting the palette).You can edit the bmd0 ones by some hex editing and Crystaltile.
As for the mods video file (opening with two mods files for each screen), however... I think nobody could edit that format. Probably our only option is to do something similar to the Tales of Innocence patch (have text superimposed) but this needs asm. (or maybe put the opening translation somewhere else, ie ending or antipiracy screen :moogle:... but it won't fit :huh: )

If you can help with tile graphic editing (the task is easy, but HUGE, like 1200 files) it would be very kind of you (I can help you with some of what the buttons says)

BTW We won't be using either Google translation, nor any word from the Spanish text script. (Maybe I could help with some simple obvious things like rendering アイテム as "items" or *shot*)
If someone fluent in Japanese could help with translation efforts, that would be awesome too, but also wishful thinking as interest is fading out for this game :)

Zkarts

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I could try to help with the graphic editing. I've never played the game, would love to though, but I don't speak Japanese (yet... bwahah! :P) and I don't have a PS3 :(
I'm not sure whether I'll be able to help, but I'm prepared to give it my best shot and I'd love to help in any way I can.

otetas69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think that the biggest problem with editing the graphics is the compression of the files on this game, the problem isnt in extracting but in repacking. I would like to see this really coming up, because it dosnt seem that ppl are more interested in this game since the ps3 version came out, but i would like to see the ds owners have the rights they have.
Ghanmi, how's the text translation? I mean, are you still working with Scott.Ender?

pleonex

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Switzerland
Nop, there isn't any problem with the reinsertion/repacking of the graphics into the game. As I have said, all the tools to do a full translation of the game are already done, now we just need to translate / modify everything :)

For instance, here is the main menu translated to spanish:
main%20menu.png

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
I think that the biggest problem with editing the graphics is the compression of the files on this game, the problem isnt in extracting but in repacking. I would like to see this really coming up, because it dosnt seem that ppl are more interested in this game since the ps3 version came out, but i would like to see the ds owners have the rights they have.
Ghanmi, how's the text translation? I mean, are you still working with Scott.Ender?

Scott.ender has alone translated an important quantity of the menu text but has yet to reply at the moment, and I received some mails from one translator answering our RHDN ad but he has yet to reply. Another has kindly contacted me an instant ago and will start handling some of the text...

The reinserted images work fine in-game, and everything can be modified.
Our main problem now is a lack of translators, and since we insist on not using Google Translator and interest for this game is dwindling (which is a shame, since it's different from its PS3 counterpart), that's quite a concern.

BTW I have been following this game for a long time (even wrote a gamefaq guide for it) so I thought you might be interested in hearing about the cell-phone Roid prequel: it's almost like Mother 3 in aesthetics but seems a little bare bones. It's referenced in the PS3 and Ds games too and was in fact published in 2010 before the DS game.
So you have Oliver and Mark (and Frank, Leila's cat) gathering plans and pieces to build their car.
It's a shame there is no way to emulate this or any ROM images for it, just like "Professor Layton and the Mansion of the Deathly Mirror" or Inazuma Eleven Go mobile.

Pics courtesy of earthboundcentral

Roid - 2010 - Ni no Kuni Hotroit Stories

roidthing.jpg

And now with my meager katakana skills...

roid4.jpg
roid1.jpg

Allie: "Welcome home Oliver."

roid3.jpg

Oliver : "..." (:unsure: ?)

roid2.jpg

Mark: "Hey Oliver! Maybe this memo is.. "

roid3.jpg

Mark: "Crap!! A real ghost ?"

roid5.jpg
roid6.jpg

"Moved the lever !"

roid1.jpg
roid4.jpg
roid2.jpg

Items - Map

roid5.jpg

Which target? Attack (Oliver) - Coil Snake B
Oliver - Mark (TP instead of MP??)
Back

It's so sad this one has never saw a release outside Japan, nor a way to play it...

There is another one for the iPhone, but it's a shitty card game with exclusive Imagen.. "designs". Anyways who cares.

EDIT:
GREE - Ni no Kuni Daibouken Monsters (2012)

ME3050005832_2.jpg
ME3050005835_2.jpg

ME3050005834_2.jpg
ME3050005833_2.jpg

Reactions: Cyan

otetas69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Scott.ender has alone translated an important quantity of the menu text but has yet to reply at the moment, and I received some mails from one translator answering our RHDN ad but he has yet to reply. Another has kindly contacted me an instant ago and will start handling some of the text...

The reinserted images work fine in-game, and everything can be modified.
Our main problem now is a lack of translators, and since we insist on not using Google Translator and interest for this game is dwindling (which is a shame, since it's different from its PS3 counterpart), that's quite a concern.
Never heard of that game but it seems good, at least it would make us feel more attached with the characters with this prequel, and yes, the art seems really like a Mother game
I would like to help you with the japanese translation but im not fluent in japanese. Its good to know that there are still ppl that want this project to continue.
I think by now it would be appropriate to change the first post of this topic and show the work and the "what to do" list of this project, since this is basically a "talk to talk" topic,and u may catch with it some other experienced translators that may want to help, but this is an opinion.

Permafry_42

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
select-start.net
XP
Country
Canada
Completely agree; that game looks fantastic. It would be great if someone could find a video playthrough of the phone game and subtitle the dialogue, but I'm not sure if there's enough interest in it to justify the extra work. Still, as a huge Earthbound/Mother fan, it would be really great to see =D

ouioui2003

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Nop, there isn't any problem with the reinsertion/repacking of the graphics into the game. As I have said, all the tools to do a full translation of the game are already done, now we just need to translate / modify everything :)

For instance, here is the main menu translated to spanish:
main%20menu.png

I confirm: Importing images with Tinke is useful ! Thanks Pleonex for all this work.
Our french team try only r148 for our pretests, so some troubles are here on the video subtitles for example. Maybe the new version r149 is better, or a new one not on googlecode, but i haven't found it for now.

I expect that there is somewhere a wiki to consult all the "translations" for especially the DS game... I haven't found something useable for now, even some wikies exists for the PS3 version (example: http://ninokuni.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Ni_No_Kuni)
For example:
You choose for the spanish patch the "Undub names", like Shizuku on your picture.
For the french patch, we plan to use Level 5 PS3 choices, so for us, He's "Lumi".
And i know "Drippy" is his english name.

For the English patch, have you choose the way you want it ? English Level 5 translations, Undub ones...
It's a prechoice for all names, but on items too, places, spells, ...

Zkarts

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I understood we're going for the more literal translations with the English translation. Also the voice acting in the game uses "Shizuku" too, so it would make sense not to call him something else then. I personally detest "Drippy" too, but I'm not the one doing the actual translating. :P

Reactions: pleonex and GHANMI

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNY4DFhf6xM