Hardware Next Nintendo DS Titled "Nintendo 3DS"

D

Deleted_171835

Naw.

They wouldn't be able to get a 3G connection everywhere, places like Africa. What if I visit a country that doesn't have the always-on 3G network. Then, I'm screwed.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
SoulSnatcher said:
Naw.

They wouldn't be able to get a 3G connection everywhere, places like Africa. What if I visit a country that doesn't have the always-on 3G network. Then, I'm screwed.

Yeah, that seems way too restrictive to me. There's no way it would rely on an "always-on" philosophy... this is a gaming handheld, not a smartphone. Plus there's the fact that Canada has what could possibly be the most expensive cellphone plans in the civilized world.. can you get onto a 3G network with a device without paying some horrendous monthly service charge?

That's the reason I still refuse to buy into Apple's junk.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
TM2-Megatron said:
Arm73 said:
1 - Not only there will be at least a year for the 3DS to come out and God knows how long for it to be creacked...

I think you mean "at most" a year. Nintendo has said the 3DS will be released in the fiscal year ending March 2011. That means the end of March 2011 is the very latest it could come out, but it's much more likely this will be out before Christmas.

QUOTE(Arm73 @ Mar 24 2010, 04:22 PM) therefore the XL will still be arguably the best way to play regular DS and DSWare games for years to come.

Sure, if you're 65+
yaynds.gif

I'll take my DS Lite over the DSi or XL, thanks.

Ignoring the rest of what you say, they said the end of the fiscal year, but not in which country.
It could be very well out in Japan by the end of March next year ( which is still over one year in my calendar ) and after 6 months or so in Europe or in USA........
It could be very well much more then a year for us.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Arm73 said:
Ignoring the rest of what you say, they said the end of the fiscal year, but not in which country.
It could be very well out in Japan by the end of March next year ( which is still over one year in my calendar ) and after 6 months or so in Europe or in USA........
It could be very well much more then a year for us.

The original DS Phat actually came out in North America first, and then Japan about a week and a half later. The 3DS release dates for North America and Japan could easily be just a couple weeks apart this time, as well.

But either way, when it comes out in Japan then it's officially out. Assuming the 3DS comes out before Christmas in Japan... if not at the exact same time for us, I doubt it will be much longer.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I dunno if this was mentioned before (I'm not looking through 21 pages
tongue.gif
), but if you want a general idea of how the 3DS COULD use glasses-free 3D, check out WordFu on the iPhone/iPod Touch.

DarkMario616

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why does Nintendo release SO many different UPGRADES (same console, under a different name with a new gimmick that is pointless...DSi) every 6 months? It's as bad as Madden and EA...

X_x Hopefully this is the real "DS2" but doubt it.

I read something somewhere over here about the same processing power as the gamecube, I want to see Sonic Adventure on my DS...come on Sega!

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chartube12 said:
Someone said the launch price of the ds phat was 149? WTH have you been smoking? I got my phat on launch day. Got the last one left at walmart for 249.99 w/o games! Thats right ladies and gentelmen, the ds launch price was the same as the Wii's! US PRICES. The only way you got a phat for 149 is if you traded in 5 games and a gba sp.

I can see the 3DS being 249. But for that to happen the Wii would need another price cut. If I didn't have a Wii yet (or if mine was beyond repair) I rather save 50 dollars and get another wii. On the other hand if the wii was 149, It be cheap enough to replace at anytime. Making me more inclined to buy the more expensive 3ds.

I'd say you got seriously ripped off if you paid $249 at launch day. According to Gamespy here and Wikipedia here the original DS launched on Nov. 21st 2004 for $149.99.

As for the launch price of the 3ds, I would say at least 200.

D

Deleted_171835

elimist said:
if it has good 3d and i can emulate a gamecube, i might buy it once a flash card comes out.
Are you smoking something?!

Emulate a Gamecube. That's worst than when people say they want the DS Lite to emulate the GBA.
rofl.gif

Dragonlord

Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Trophies
Website
www.indiedb.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
TM2-Megatron said:
Nobody's listening to you anymore. Full-sized televisions that achieve 3-D without glasses have already been showcased, and the 3DS is stated as using similar technologies. If it were all as impossible as you say, none of this stuff would exist. Can you stop trolling now? Amateur-level knowledge of science qualifies you for absolutely no comment on the possibility of this technology... and considering the fact it already exists, you're talking out of your ass.
We talk about the problems and why it is not very useful in the end, not that it has not been done. I said so earlier so you disqualify yourself if you can't even read posts. As I said earlier you can bend light and alter it's path but the circumstances required to getting an actual result are so tight it's not really usable in the end.

QUOTE(dudeonline @ Mar 24 2010, 09:11 PM) By the way...WRONG.
What one eye sees, the other sees at A SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT ANGLE. You, sir fail at both physics and anatomy. Good day to you.
A "slight" different angle is not enough. The motion of your head with a common viewing distance of a TV matters a more than this small angle.

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SoulSnatcher said:
elimist said:
if it has good 3d and i can emulate a gamecube, i might buy it once a flash card comes out.
Are you smoking something?!

Emulate a Gamecube. That's worst than when people say they want the DS Lite to emulate the GBA.
rofl.gif
I have a Nintendo Entertainment System and I need a cartrage that can emulate xbox360 games because I want to play Modern Warfare 2.
rofl.gif

D

Deleted_171835

Dragonlord said:
TM2-Megatron said:
Nobody's listening to you anymore. Full-sized televisions that achieve 3-D without glasses have already been showcased, and the 3DS is stated as using similar technologies. If it were all as impossible as you say, none of this stuff would exist. Can you stop trolling now? Amateur-level knowledge of science qualifies you for absolutely no comment on the possibility of this technology... and considering the fact it already exists, you're talking out of your ass.
We talk about the problems and why it is not very useful in the end, not that it has not been done. I said so earlier so you disqualify yourself if you can't even read posts. As I said earlier you can bend light and alter it's path but the circumstances required to getting an actual result are so tight it's not really usable in the end.

QUOTE(dudeonline @ Mar 24 2010, 09:11 PM) By the way...WRONG.
What one eye sees, the other sees at A SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT ANGLE. You, sir fail at both physics and anatomy. Good day to you.
A "slight" different angle is not enough. The motion of your head with a common viewing distance of a TV matters a more than this small angle.
No point in arguing over it when Nintendo did not reveal the method it used to get 3D to be useable without glasses. Currently, people are just guessing what Nintendo will use. Argue when Nintendo reveals the method.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
SoulSnatcher said:
No point in arguing over it when Nintendo did not reveal the method it used to get 3D to be useable without glasses. Currently, people are just guessing what Nintendo will use. Argue when Nintendo reveals the method.
Like I said, my speculation is some pseudo-3d like what the iPod Touch game WordFu uses, where the graphics change up some when you tilt the iPod, giving it the look of 3D when it actually isn't.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
xcdjy said:
Mmm...
I don't see that personally.
I know where you're coming from but like...
I don't think they'd shift many units just from that. And I think they know that.
It's a new handheld for a reason. Something similar to WordFu was done on DSi with a recent DSiWare title.
I don't think technology available on a former handheld would make a good selling point.
But we will see... I do know that I should expect a letdown, but it's hard not to be hyped right now.
Well, if it's genuine glasses-free 3D then I'll be completely stunned. However, I guess all we can do is speculate until Ninty releases more details.

By the way, which DSiWare title was it that did something similar to WordFu?

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Dragonlord said:
TM2-Megatron said:

You've seen these screens in person, and know from actual observation that they're unworkable? I seriously doubt it. And not all the problems of getting this kind of thing to work properly on a TV exist on a screen as small as handheld devices have. Sharp's Parallax Barrier LCDs were developed in the 1990s... they've already been implemented, on some cellphone in Japan. They've said Sharp's particular tech isn't any good for a screen much larger than 4 inches... but if they claim that it works within those confines, I see no reason to think they're lying until I've actually seen an example in person, and it proves them wrong.

As I posted earlier, here's a video of a guy that's somehow modified an existing LCD monitor to function as a (primitive) version of a Parallax Barrier LCD. The videocamera clearly picks up two distinct images being given off by the screen, being directed to different areas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRZ59HfV2QY&fmt=18

And that's only what some techie can throw together as a test, and the two versions of the image aren't limited to two exactly precise areas in front of the screen... so you can move your eyes within a certain area, while preserving the sterescopic effect. What do you think Nintendo will be able to do with a more refined version of this technology, with the resources available to them? And on a smaller screen than that one, which also eliminates some of the potential issues.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-