Newest GameStop Shipments Are 3.0.1 Consoles!

Discussion in 'Switch - Hacking & Homebrew' started by x0b3chn, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Dinzy

Dinzy Member

Newcomer
    Feb 24, 2007
    United States
    Interesting. I can think of a few scenarios that might be at play here. I assume that the increase is just a slight statistically relevant bump. It could be that more copies of MP heavy games sell after people pirate and enjoy the SP campaign. I.e. the demo effect. Or it could be a general statistical trend where piracy increases the amount of gaming occurring and that pirates either induce sales in others or eventually cave in and start buying games when they are gainfully employed adults.

2. Frysenberg

Frysenberg Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 25, 2017
    Canada
    It could simply be that piracy exposes people to games they normally wouldn't look twice at. I wouldn't buy a game without knowing if I like it. Piracy allows that, and if I find the game is worth the price I'd buy it.

I'm not the only person who got burned by taking a gamble on something I thought was good. I'm looking at you, SimCity 2013.

3. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    Looks like this homebrew thing was dead before it even began.

4. _______

_______ GBAtemp Regular

May 13, 2016
    Japan
    Most consoles you can find in Japan are now 3.0.0 or 3.0.1 at least since 2 weeks ago.

Just purchased another Splatoon 2 bundle and its 3.0.0.

5. ehnoah

ehnoah GBAtemp Fan

Oct 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    We just dont have a ROP and for Backups we not have ARM, so yeah. Even if the stuff is out, mostly useless the next couple of months.

Ordered one in German Amazon, lets see.

Last edited by ehnoah, Oct 5, 2017
  6. alepman90

alepman90 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 10, 2014
    The reason why GS update their stock in case of potential hack cos they get cents from selling new consoles, most of their profit comes
    from selling used games and recycled consoles

7. yardie

yardie GBAtemp Fan

Mar 27, 2016
    United States
    How so? Lol
    Looks alive and well to me

8. HotShotAzn

HotShotAzn Member

Newcomer
    Jan 22, 2010
    United States
    Some good points here. I downloaded Fallout 4 and played it for a few hours. Waited until the price was under $20 and bought a copy. Of course, I don't even touch it any more. But I'm also glad I didn't buy Sims 4 after trying it out. Nowadays, I don't pirate software anymore (see previous posts about viruses).

9. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 5, 2007
    They aren't updating it manually. It's just some stupid rumor because each console would be 3.0.2 and not 3.0.1 if they did. They just get newly made once that is all.

10. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    The exploit was patched before most people even knew about it, and now consoles are coming with the patched firmware from the factory. Not to mention all the people who updated for online play and eshop, with no possibility of downgrade in the foreseeable future.

11. yardie

yardie GBAtemp Fan

Mar 27, 2016
    United States
    Sucks to be them. It's alive and well for a lot of us

12. Dust2dust

Dust2dust GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 17, 2010
    Canada
    Last edited by Dust2dust, Oct 5, 2017
    yardie likes this.
  13. Jetpacunlimited

Jetpacunlimited Member

Newcomer
    May 1, 2009
    United States
    I can confirm Game stop is NOT selling the latest firmware, I just purchased my spare Nintendo Switch and it came with version 3.0.0 installed.

I live in Atlanta Georgia if that helps

14. 20degrees

20degrees Member

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2017
    Albania

Last edited by 20degrees, Oct 12, 2017
  15. sergey3000

sergey3000 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2013
    Iceland
    hooooo nooooo!! I got firmware 2.3.0 from amazon. Now i have a huge dilemma if i should update or not. I was hoping it would be on 3.0.1 firmware as you said.

16. Digital_0xFF

Digital_0xFF Member

Newcomer
    Oct 7, 2017
    Austria

You wanna have 3.0.1? Are you sure? :rofl2:

Last edited by Digital_0xFF, Oct 12, 2017
  17. Frysenberg

Frysenberg Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 25, 2017
    Canada
    Well, I did say Amazon Canada.

18. Risingdawn

Risingdawn GBAtemp Pickle

May 22, 2010
    United Kingdom
    The problem with social acceptability bias is that it assumes social values are also divergent when primary social control is no longer a factor, which in most cases does not seem to be so easily proved. It is almost impossible to prove a bias towards norms that is false and so social acceptability bias should really be seen as theorising and not factual.

I'm not sure I agree of course and I don't doubt that people will portray an image to conform with social norms however fundamentalists will always see piracy as a positive consumerist tool and not a negative. Marxism ofc would tell us all to wake the fuck up and stop playing video games all together because pirated or not all we're doing is enabling the evils of capitalism but fuck Marx I want my hax lol.