Hardware My inability to comprehend fuses. (Help)

DesuDemon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So to start off Hi I'm Desu I'm brand new to the forums. I am very interested in all the work you guys do and decided upon myself to buy and rcm jig and dive headfirst into this world.

I followed a guide on backing up my sysNAND (thank god) loaded up atmosphere and immediately went for a very specific application that I am not fully aware or not if I can talk about. I tried to load said program and it failed so being the idiot noob that I am (did I mention I used to hack psp's back in the day wow not the same at all) I figured with my massive brain "ah I have 11.0.0 It must be that it is incompatible with this fw and I need the next step down"

Yeah this is where it gets good, I immediately use Daybreak to lower the fw on my switch to 10.2.0 thinking this is the answer. The launch fails and I get error codes. Well silly me if i would've done more REASEARCH I wouldve known I needed to he in autoRCM mode through heckate. I knew that doing this unsafely has caused me to burn "fuses" I quotate that because being a noob I am still unaware exactly how they work. I knew one thing for sure though..that I made a stupid mistake right out the gate. I panicked I didn't know what I just did but I knew that I needed a specific number of fuses burnt to go back to my backup file.

It was 14 fuses burnt so I was able to revert to 11.0.0 and copied my OG files back and am now insanely scared of coming back to this, however I feel I could do some really fun things with the cfw. I love my switch I backed everything up and used 90dns to protect myself because I can't lose online I would be devestated.

What I am asking is can someone please help me understand how fuses work? If I burn them should I cut my losses and make my current switch into an emulator box and buy a new one? Does this mean if I ever update to newer ofw will I have to boot with Heckate forever? I'm scared because I'm ignorant but I so badly want to learn.

Thanks everyone please be kind :)

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
eFuses are embedded in the CPU and are "burnt" by Nintendo with every new update.
This is done to prevent the users to revert to a lower (potentially comprimised) firmware.
Each firmware expects a certain fuse count for it to boot - if the expected fuse count doesn't match with whatever is inside your CPU, then the system will not boot.
The only way to boot into a lower firmware while having a higher burnt fuse count, is to use a CFW, which skips the fuse check.

Reactions: DesuDemon

DesuDemon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
eFuses are embedded in the CPU and are "burnt" by Nintendo with every new update.
This is done to prevent the users to revert to a lower (potentially comprimised) firmware.
Each firmware expects a certain fuse count for it to boot - if the expected fuse count doesn't match with whatever is inside your CPU, then the system will not boot.
The only way to boot into a lower firmware while having a higher burnt fuse count, is to use a CFW, which skips the fuse check.

Thank you so my big question is if I update to a new firmware when its released will I have to make a sysNAND backup up of it to restore to ofw? and is there a faster way to switch between ofw and cfw without drag and dropping a 32 GB back up NAND.

DesuDemon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[QUOTE/]scroll down to the bottom for the expected fuse burn for each firmware, as for OFW and CFW, if both of them are on Sysnand then the NAND is considered dirty, if you have a clean NAND you can make an emunand and do all your CFW stuffs there and keep the Sysnand for online play.[/QUOTE]

Ah I see so you have to partition your sd to utilize both quickly. I'll need to get a larger than 64 GB sd card then.

Reactions: Hayato213

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!