Gaming New Super Mario Bros. 2 - What do YOU want to see?

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm not the one who said Nintendo was a kid.
I know, I'm just trolling. :P
567d4330074c3b1bfe5065581ea096db.jpg

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not the one who said Nintendo was a kid.
I know, I'm just trolling. :P
567d4330074c3b1bfe5065581ea096db.jpg
YouDontSayBlackWithTextSS.png

be3.jpg
Want to see - the key and keyhole, multiple exits, challenging and longer levels, more secret levels, more powerups.

Don't want to see - Super Mushroom - it's a lazy powerup, Ba Ba music Absolutely NO GYROSCOPIC MOTION gimmicks!!

Whats wrong with Gyro? And how the hell is it a gimmick.

Played NSMB Wii? Shaking Wiimote to lift items - Why??? Why not use the old school 'hold down button and walk to item' to lift up items
Played DKCR? Shaking Wiimote + Dpad direction to blow (most stupid move ever), roll, pound.
Why not simply Double tap down to pound - Double tap left/right to roll - Double tap up to blow (still is the most stupid move ever).
Was unnecessary to use motion controls in both games.

And I don't want to shake my 3DS and break the hinges or control Mario by twisting the 3DS in all sorts of directions

(just because it's there doesn't mean it has to be used).

It was added because the Wii was a fucking Wii. you know, the "Casual" Console? The 3DS hasnt had any games that used the accelerometer in a way that would be damaging to the 3DS, why would they start? Plus, how the fuck are you supposed to control mario in a 2D platformer with gyro controls? Because its thier means it should be used.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
It was added because the Wii was a fucking Wii. you know, the "Casual" Console? The 3DS hasnt had any games that used the accelerometer in a way that would be damaging to the 3DS, why would they start? Plus, how the fuck are you supposed to control mario in a 2D platformer with gyro controls? Because its thier means it should be used.
I still like my idea for the gyro camera. :yaynds:

And they could realistically use the gyro for the "balance bridges" like in NSMBWii, or something similar. That was one of the few motion controls that wasn't TOO gimmicky, IMO.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Mmm... what would I want from this game...
Something new and interesting. I feel like the 2D mario platformers has lost some of it's charms. I wish there would be something new that woul keep me playing the game. *Sigh, The only games thathas done this is SMB 3 and SMBW. Other than that, I feel like it's getting stale. NSMB and NBMBWii weren't interesting for me. And yes I did finish both. They were good but there was something missing...

finkmac

Trophies
Website
www.epicwinrar.com
XP
Country
Canada
Something new and interesting. I feel like the 2D mario platformers has lost some of it's charms. I wish there would be something new that woul keep me playing the game. *Sigh, The only games thathas done this is SMB 3 and SMBW. Other than that, I feel like it's getting stale. NSMB and NBMBWii weren't interesting for me. And yes I did finish both. They were good but there was something missing...

They felt like spinoffs.

GolfDude

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nintendo japan just announced that this will be dual release title.. you can buy it as cartridge in a store or through the eshop and save it to your sd card.. ( or go to a retail store and buy a code card to input into the eshop for download)

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
nintendo japan just announced that this will be dual release title.. you can buy it as cartridge in a store or through the eshop and save it to your sd card.. ( or go to a retail store and buy a code card to input into the eshop for download)
Really? Do you have a link handy?

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Want to see - the key and keyhole, multiple exits, challenging and longer levels, more secret levels, more powerups.

Agreed. Loved key & keyhole.

I think multiple exits is pretty much a given for a 2D Mario game these days, right?

Played NSMB Wii? Shaking Wiimote to lift items - Why??? Why not use the old school 'hold down button and walk to item' to lift up items

Disagreed! :) I thought the Giro functions of the Wii were good. Not so over the top as to ruin the game, just enough to make it a little bit different. Though I agree that you should have an option to switch to a classic control system.

And I don't want to shake my 3DS and break the hinges or control Mario by twisting the 3DS in all sorts of directions

Agreed, again! I don't want to be shaking my 3DS. With a WiiMote it was fine. Shaking an entire console is a no. I don't think Nintendo will do that. If they find some cool way for Gyro they will use it. If not, leave it out.

This could be the perfect bridge game to turn casual gamers into proper gamers..
NSMB was incredibly successful, as was the Wii game.
Therefore NSMB2 will also do really well.

Making this game rather hard from the start will help casual gamers grow up, and learn to play games properly.

But Nintendo wont do that.. because their silly.

No, no. It doesn't work like that. 'Casual gamers' will just switch off and forget the game if it's too hard from the outset. I think Mario has a pretty decent learning curve. The first levels are easy, they quickly get more tricky, and the ones at the end, though short, are pretty difficult.

That's what makes a good game. I played the NSMB3 hack for like 5 minutes, turned it off, and never went back to it again. Too difficult from the outset. Unfortunately most ROM hacks are from 'hardcore' gamers who want to make everything as difficult as possible right from the word go. There's no difficulty curve, you don't feel like you want to progress through all the worlds.

I think Super Mario World had the best system; similar difficulty curve to all the others, but loads of hidden exits, secret worlds, and star road/star world. Something for everybody

Yatashi Strife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is EXACTLY what i was gonna say! its hard to get excited about a mario game anymore... i could go hook up my SNES and play SMB3 for HOURS, but i 100% completed SM3D Land after 3 days of on and off play when i got it, and i haven't looked back at it again... :( mario games hardly have replay value anymore, and don't get me started on difficulty. Video games in general aren't the same anymore, its all about money now and that's it. nothing more, nothing less :/

Reactions: 2 people

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
As for new features... Well in SMW, levels that had more than one exits were a different colour on the map. That was nice.

Though I'd kind of like the ability to doodle on the map, like draw a circle on an level if I think there might be another exit. So I can continue working through the game, and go back to find the hidden exit later.

Reactions: 1 person

Yatashi Strife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As for new features... Well in SMW, levels that had more than one exits were a different colour on the map. That was nice.

Though I'd kind of like the ability to doodle on the map, like draw a circle on an level if I think there might be another exit. So I can continue working through the game, and go back to find the hidden exit later.
Thanks to you I now know what i want in the next Mario game!! Character Selection for ALL 4 players, CUSTOM LEVEL CREATION AND WFC LEVEL SHARING!!!!! Nintendo, you did it in SSBB so make it happen! it would be a insta-buy for me no doubt! I would also love it if i wasn't forced to hack into the game to play as a character other than mario in single player. just sayin i would like to dominate the game as Toad for once that's all... :/

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks to you I now know what i want in the next Mario game!! Character Selection for ALL 4 players, CUSTOM LEVEL CREATION AND WFC LEVEL SHARING!!!!! Nintendo, you did it in SSBB so make it happen! it would be a insta-buy for me no doubt! I would also love it if i wasn't forced to hack into the game to play as a character other than mario in single player. just sayin i would like to dominate the game as Toad for once that's all... :/
Toad? Psh. Real men play SMB2 instead, straight through... as Peach. :ha:

Reactions: 2 people

Walkin

travel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Don't want to see - Super Mushroom - it's a lazy powerup, Ba Ba music Absolutely NO GYROSCOPIC MOTION gimmicks!!

Pretty much this.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
I have to disagree with you guys on NSMB and NSMB Wii. NSMB brought the game up to date with a graphics overhaul after the GBA only saw remakes and spin-offs. The simultaneous multi-player idea in NSMB Wii introduced a whole new mechanic and I'd like to see it carried over to NSMB2. The shaking controls felt natural, and prevented accidental pick-ups of your co-operating players. Of course, the games weren't challenging enough, I can agree with that, but they were still fun to play.

The 3DS isn't sturdy enough for shaking unless you hold the top screen as you do it―the screen would swing from its lock position or could even snap with rigorous shaking. I don't (want to) see it being incorporated into any games.

I like the dancing Koopas!

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
this is EXACTLY what i was gonna say! its hard to get excited about a mario game anymore... i could go hook up my SNES and play SMB3 for HOURS, but i 100% completed SM3D Land after 3 days of on and off play when i got it, and i haven't looked back at it again... :( mario games hardly have replay value anymore, and don't get me started on difficulty. Video games in general aren't the same anymore, its all about money now and that's it. nothing more, nothing less :/
YES I KNOW RIGHT? I could still play SMB 3 for hours. I don't know if it's because I prefer to play with sprites. It feels natural to me. XD

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I view Super mario World the way most people view Super Mario Bros. 3... idk, I guess it's partially cuz Super Mario World was the first Mario I played after the original Super Mario Bros. on the NES (my NES and SNES were hand-me-downs, so I only had the games he gave me, which didn't include SMB2 or SMB3, which I ended up playing later on Super Mario All Stars), and I just loved how there was SO FREAKING MUCH you could do. Definitely the most extensive of the 2D Marios, IMO.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill